2020 Honda Africa Twin CRF1100L rumors

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
Some rumors floating around that Honda might be releasing a new 1100cc Africa Twin in 2020 to meet Euro emissions standards. Reports also saying it might include a new TFT display, VTEC type system in the engine, and improved electronics.

ACFB4BD0-2A24-480C-A984-49AB60883B44.jpeg
980D99CA-FE51-4B18-A4C3-4413A3D7DAF1.jpeg
Asides from these rumors, the 1100cc machine is definitely going to gain some weight with a bigger fuel tank and bigger engine of course.

The question, is this something the general population would be interested in? Is the “bigger is better” attitude better when it comes to ADV/Touring machines?

Would love to hear your guy’s thoughts and opinions on this topic.

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I love my 2017 standard AT and I'm kind of a believer in "less is more" when it comes to fancy electronics and do-dads like engine modes and auto transmissions. Now when it comes to motor size I think it really depends on how it is intended to be used either by the end user buying the machine or how the company making the machine intends it to be used. From what I have seen and noticed and this is just my opinion (so dont kill me!) is most of the people who buy these machines are not going full on hardcore offroad with them ( I cant help myself I treat mine like a 450 and beat it like it ows me money!!) and are using them as "touring machines" that also go offroad That being said I'm willing to bet honda took the feed back from surveys, writers, product testers, and motorcycle shows and gave people what they asked for I.E a bigger motor and rider modes and such. I personally think the 1000 motor is plenty enough for that bike and keeps it light and nimble, but if you plan on loading it all up with 400lbs of gear, a 250lb rider and touring with it and staying off the super duty offroad stuff I could see how more "GO JUICE" could be a helpfull

Keep the rubber side down

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ATmartin

Feb 21, 2018
Bavaria Germany
Some rumors floating around that Honda might be releasing a new 1100cc Africa Twin in 2020 to meet Euro emissions standards. Reports also saying it might include a new TFT display, VTEC type system in the engine, and improved electronics.

View attachment 1832
View attachment 1833
Asides from these rumors, the 1100cc machine is definitely going to gain some weight with a bigger fuel tank and bigger engine of course.

The question, is this something the general population would be interested in? Is the “bigger is better” attitude better when it comes to ADV/Touring machines?

Would love to hear your guy’s thoughts and opinions on this topic.
Hi, everybody is looking for something else. My personal opinion is that I (and I really mean only myself) don’t need more than 100hp and 1000ccm. I am using my 17 standard AT as a daily driver to work and for traveling all over Europe. I am not into this electronic stuff and yes it is possible to ride whole day without cruise control on a long tour So I am 100% satisfied and just want to munch miles...
On the other side. Just take a look around... Ducati Multistrada 1260 & 950, Beemers coming with the ShiftCam, Triumph catching up with several XC models, Harley launching an electric bike!! Each brand is going its own way. Who will succeed?
Guys, times are changing, new customers are not looking under the hood anymore but trying to couple their smartphones with the bike.
So is bigger better?..it is not the question anymore..

P.S.
please do not kill me that’s just my personal opinion
Greetings from Bavaria Germany

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: livingwellcfr

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I couldn’t have said it better. I particularly like the “...beat it like it owes me money!!”. Just wish you lived closer so I could have someone to really ride with.

I love my 2017 standard AT and I'm kind of a believer in "less is more" when it comes to fancy electronics and do-dads like engine modes and auto transmissions. Now when it comes to motor size I think it really depends on how it is intended to be used either by the end user buying the machine or how the company making the machine intends it to be used. From what I have seen and noticed and this is just my opinion (so dont kill me!) is most of the people who buy these machines are not going full on hardcore offroad with them ( I cant help myself I treat mine like a 450 and beat it like it ows me money!!) and are using them as "touring machines" that also go offroad That being said I'm willing to bet honda took the feed back from surveys, writers, product testers, and motorcycle shows and gave people what they asked for I.E a bigger motor and rider modes and such. I personally think the 1000 motor is plenty enough for that bike and keeps it light and nimble, but if you plan on loading it all up with 400lbs of gear, a 250lb rider and touring with it and staying off the super duty offroad stuff I could see how more "GO JUICE" could be a helpfull

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I couldn’t have said it better. I particularly like the “...beat it like it owes me money!!”. Just wish you lived closer so I could have someone to really ride with.
My brother and I are planning a trip on the TAT at some point this year, he'll be on his 1090R and I'll be on my AT, so might just be close enough at some point. See ya on the trails!!

Reactions: egary1974

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I'm pretty happy with my 17 MT, works as a daily driver and has long enough legs for me!

That being said I do like gadgets and shiny screens. :)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
100cc bigger but only 5hp more. Not sure it's worth it or will be a game changer for me. I think I'd rather keep mine and if I get bored, up the compression a bit for the extra 10hp I crave

;-)

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I could meet you in Utah.

My brother and I are planning a trip on the TAT at some point this year, he'll be on his 1090R and I'll be on my AT, so might just be close enough at some point. See ya on the trails!!

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I will definitely let you know when we get out there, we are for sure going to hit moab and a few other places in utah

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
100cc bigger but only 5hp more. Not sure it's worth it or will be a game changer for me. I think I'd rather keep mine and if I get bored, up the compression a bit for the extra 10hp I crave

;-)
Since horsepower is rated at a certain (usually high) rpm, the additional number may not be apparent. Depends on if you try to stretch the throttle cable all the time, and hold it till you reach that rpm. A more logical benefit of increased displacement is increased torque at lower speeds, which is where 99.9% of the riding is done.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
A more logical benefit of increased displacement is increased torque at lower speeds, which is where 99.9% of the riding is done.
I don't need more torque. 'Scotty I need more power!!!'

But seriously, I found the AT lacks the oomph to punch through certain areas, and I'd like another 10hp. E.g: my AT gets terrible tankslap happy around 160-165 km/h on the san or around 140 on pea-gravel. It lacks the power to punch through that oscillation phase where it should 'calm out' again at about 170 (or 150 on peagravel). And yes I could fit a steering damper, but considering I like the steering as is, I'd rather approach it with brute hp.

Upping the compression ratio to 11:1 would give me that extra bit and be constant through out the rev range. And seeing that I already only use higher octane fuel, won't make a difference to my fuel bill either...

;-)

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I don't need more torque. 'Scotty I need more power!!!'

But seriously, I found the AT lacks the oomph to punch through certain areas, and I'd like another 10hp. E.g: my AT gets terrible tankslap happy around 160-165 km/h on the san or around 140 on pea-gravel. It lacks the power to punch through that oscillation phase where it should 'calm out' again at about 170 (or 150 on peagravel). And yes I could fit a steering damper, but considering I like the steering as is, I'd rather approach it with brute hp.

Upping the compression ratio to 11:1 would give me that extra bit and be constant through out the rev range. And seeing that I already only use higher octane fuel, won't make a difference to my fuel bill either...

;-)
I have fitted the Scott's damper and I love it, made a world of difference where I ride, lots of softball and larger sized lunkers and tree roots hiding on the trails just begging to throw you for a loop, there is 12 settings on 2 separate adjustments high speed and slow speed damping as well as the arc of steering swing and where it starts and stops the damping it can be adjusted to take out only the high speed hits and leave regular steering untouched and un affected to each his own but just some food for thought

Reactions: Squily

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
Actually, more torque would give you more power, since horsepower is a value calculated from measured torque. In the American system, the formula is torque value in foot-pounds times rpm, divided by 5252. So any point you can raise the torque, the power goes up. And you don't have to toggle the throttle like an old two-stroke dirt bike.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
You need to ride a 500 two stroke, no throttle toggling required.

Actually, more torque would give you more power, since horsepower is a value calculated from measured torque. In the American system, the formula is torque value in foot-pounds times rpm, divided by 5252. So any point you can raise the torque, the power goes up. And you don't have to toggle the throttle like an old two-stroke dirt bike.

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains

Was thinking more of the older smaller ones that had more of a fishhook power curve. Had to keep it at the right rpm to get any power at all, so you were always blipping the throttle to keep it there. My point was that more torque across the rpm band results in a higher horsepower figure everywhere, and is much more usable to everyone than a higher peak power number would be.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15347872/horsepower-vs-torque-whats-the-difference/

"At this point of the discussion, it should be clear that torque and horsepower are like estranged siblings; they’re closely related but don’t have much in common. But what about the greater moral issue confronting mankind in general and car enthusiasts in particular: Which is better?

We’ll answer that in terms Yogi Berra would appreciate. In a baseball game, if torque is analogous to the catcher, then horsepower is the pitcher. Both are necessary to play ball, but the pitcher’s responsibilities—determining the speed and path of every ball thrown—rule the game. Torque is vital to every engine’s operation, but horsepower is what distinguishes a great engine from a good one."

:D

livingwellcfr

May 6, 2018
Idaho

Agreed! I would like to see the 2020 with an extra gallon of gas, TBW, and put better foot pegs on PLEASE!!!!

Reactions: RItwin

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Spent the day yesterday riding a 07 ktm 525 XC all through Baja Mexico mountains from California Motorsport Adventours, no throttle toggling required either just pure grunt!!! Hahahaha

Last edited:

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
NICE!

Spent the day yesterday riding a 07 ktm 525 XC all through Baja Mexico mountains from California Motorsport Adventours, no throttle toggling required either just pure grunt!!! Hahahaha

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
More rumors about the 2020 Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin from a Japanese publication called Young Machine. What do you guys think?

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu