2020 Honda CRF850L Africa Twin Rumors

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Rider
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is interesting... more rumors about a 2020 Honda CRF850L Africa Twin. What do you guys think?

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
Not sure what the advantage would be other than a few pounds, not sure how many pounds but I can't see it being very many. I prefer to be closer to the litre bike class so distance travelling is better.

camshaft1991

Mar 29, 2018
New Orleans
Not sure what the advantage would be other than a few pounds, not sure how many pounds but I can't see it being very many. I prefer to be closer to the litre bike class so distance travelling is better.
And less power. The AT doesn’t have a lot to begin with compared to similar adventure bikes across different brands. The tiger 800 is the closest counterpart I can think of for the AT. Close as in price range along with torque and HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerrDeacon

Sep 12, 2018
Canada
If this rumour is true, it may tie in with the other rumour that the AT will move up to 1100 or more cc's and so they may want the 850 to bridge the gap between the CB500X and the new AT. Similar to what BMW does I guess. All guesses at this point since I don't believe I've seen anything official from Honda on either.

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
i just rode the 850GS, I believe it was rated at 5hp less than the AT but it didn't feel like it had any power. Must be missing the torque. Everyone has there idea of the perfect bike and I think a lot of people are asking for smaller middle weight adventure bikes. For me
I want to be in the litre bike class for adventure touring and if I wanted smaller, I would look to an enduro like the KTM 690

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Rider
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If this rumour is true, it may tie in with the other rumour that the AT will move up to 1100 or more cc's and so they may want the 850 to bridge the gap between the CB500X and the new AT. Similar to what BMW does I guess. All guesses at this point since I don't believe I've seen anything official from Honda on either.
I can see Honda renaming the CRF850L to a Transalp or something from their heritage off road line. Curious to see what they will announce this year.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
That new KTM gets my vote for a middle weight adv.

Reactions: kwb377

superfunkomatic

I still think they should go even smaller - 500-650cc. 850 or 800cc would definitely improve fuel consumption but Honda isn't known for making less heavy smaller bikes.
Something between the CRF450L and the AT would be awesome. 300-400 pounds wet would make a big difference if you wanted to explore more offroad. I don't think that is realistic since my CRF250L is over 300 pounds wet.

Reactions: BlackRockFox

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
Here we go... teaser from Honda.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu