• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

ABS Failure?

Jarrett

May 8, 2018
DFW
Has anyone experienced temporary ABS failure on the front brake on the AT? I think it happened to me today. I was two hours into a long dirt road ride and coming into corner as I had been doing all day, except this time it was different. The front brake started locking up and because of this I couldn't get the bike to turn, which resulted in me doing a low speed lay down of the bike into some soft grass thankfully.

I got the bike up and starting riding slowly, came to another turn, hit the front brake and it skidded again. At that point, I noticed the ABS light was blinking. I can't verify it was blinking before the fall, but the symptoms (no ABS) were there prior to and after the fall.

At that point, I turned the bike off completely, let it sit a minute, turned it back on, started rolling and the ABS light went off like it normally does. No problems stopping the rest of the ride and no more blinking ABS light.
The service manual says the following:

ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) (CRF1000A/D)
DTC INDEX
• The ABS indicator might blink in the following cases. Correct the faulty part.
– Incorrect tire pressure.
– Tires not recommended for the motorcycle were installed (incorrect tire size).
– Deformation of the wheel or tire.
• The ABS indicator might blink while riding under the following conditions.
This is temporary failure. Be sure to erase the DTC (page 20-6).
Then, test-ride the motorcycle above 10 km/h (6 mph) and check the DTC (page 20-6). Ask the rider for the riding conditions in detail when the motorcycle is brought in for inspection.

Ask the rider for the riding conditions in detail when the motorcycle is brought in for inspection.
– The motorcycle has continuously run bumpy roads.
– The front wheel leaves the ground for a long time when riding (wheelie).
– Only either the front or rear wheel rotates.
– The ABS operates continuously.
– The ABS control unit has been disrupted by an extremely powerful radio wave (electromagnetic interference).

Prior to this, I had disabled rear ABS and turned on the G switch. This was the first time I had ever used the rear ABS disable feature as well.

Has anyone seen or hear of this before?

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
I've had the abs go crazy a few times offroad and on loose stuff. Normally (de-) activated by too much wheelspin (excessive speed differential between front and rear wheel for too long). Abs lights go crazy. Switch the ignition off and restart and it's all good again

You've been roosting too much? ;-)

Jarrett

May 8, 2018
DFW
I've had the abs go crazy a few times offroad and on loose stuff. Normally (de-) activated by too much wheelspin (excessive speed differential between front and rear wheel for too long). Abs lights go crazy. Switch the ignition off and restart and it's all good again

You've been roosting too much? ;-)
No roosting, just riding on dirt roads. I had no idea that the ABS could turn itself off in a crucial moment like that leaving me with no ability to stop the bike safely. I got pretty lucky to fall where I fell. Certainly made me lose confidence in the bike.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
What tyres you running? If you run lower profile rear then the difference between front and rear can be more pronounced and cause an error quicker. But it doesn't sound normal and should not deactivate during normal riding.

With all due respect though: trusting in abs on unsealed surfaces is a sure way to end up getting hurt. The Honda abs is much better than BMW, but still dodgy compared to a little experience and no abs.

Jarrett

May 8, 2018
DFW
What tyres you running? If you run lower profile rear then the difference between front and rear can be more pronounced and cause an error quicker. But it doesn't sound normal and should not deactivate during normal riding.

With all due respect though: trusting in abs on unsealed surfaces is a sure way to end up getting hurt. The Honda abs is much better than BMW, but still dodgy compared to a little experience and no abs.
Just stock tires, stock pressure.

Good to know, don't trust the bike.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Could it be that you pushed the front and the ABS activated and didn't see the front react so the system went into fault? These bikes are hefty beasts and when they start to go there's little that can be done to catch them, and that's with good off road tires, with the stock tires you're fighting a loosing battle.

Jarrett

May 8, 2018
DFW
It means that you got into a corner faster than the tire could handle and instead of the tire tracking in the direction that you wanted to go it just slid in the direction you were going.
No, it happened at slow speeds as well and stopped happening after I reset the ABS.

When in doubt, throttle out. Might not improve the situation, however it will shorten the suspense.
Hehe.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
It's not that you were going fast, it's that you might have been going faster than the tire could handle, which with the stock tires would pretty much be any speed faster than fully stopped.

No, it happened at slow speeds as well and stopped happening after I reset the ABS.

Hehe.

Jarrett

May 8, 2018
DFW
It's not that you were going fast, it's that you might have been going faster than the tire could handle, which with the stock tires would pretty much be any speed faster than fully stopped.
I would buy that if it had happened the first 15 minutes into the ride, but I had been turning on the same roads at higher speeds for the previous two hours before the ABS turned off and caused this loss of traction when braking.

Last edited:

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
So what you're saying is that there's no way that you could have overwhelmed the limits of the ABS system on a 500 lb bike with street rubber while riding off road?

I would buy that if it had happened the first 15 minutes into the ride, but I had been turning on the same roads at higher speeds for the previous two hours before the ABS turned off and caused this loss of traction when braking.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu