Adventure Sports issues and my solutions

playinatwork

Aug 22, 2019
Jacksonville, FL.
I put 20,000 miles on my first 2018 ATAS until a deer took me out and the bike was totaled. I have another ATAS with 5000 miles and they both seem to have the same issues. I've done 1111 miles on dirt in 24 hours on my ATAS. These bikes are quite capable but they have a couple issues. Yes, they are Honda's fault and you can whine and have your bike in the shop for months. Or fix it and go riding for those months, your choice.

First problem is the stuff flaking off the welds inside the gas tank and clogging the screen going into the fuel pump. If this problem bites you while away from home, you can dump a can of Seafoam in the bike and it will help for a short time. It will not solve the problem. The Seafoam got me home when I had 900 miles to go. The proper solution is to remove the tank and get the sludge out. Remove the tank and fuel pump assembly. Clean the tank and flush with vinegar. Do not let the vinegar soak in the tank as it will damage the coating inside the tank. Remove the particles from the screen attached to the pump. There's a great tutorial on adventure rider how to pull the pump assembly apart to get to the screen. I keep reading about dealers replacing the tank and pump assembly. That just delays the problem till the stuff flakes off the welds on the new tank.
Second issue is the front fork dust wipers are too loose and let crud get into the seals and cause leaky forks. Most of the time it's not a blown fork seal but just dirt in the seal. A seal mate will stop the leak and an easy solution for me has been to add some cheap neoprene fork covers. I had the short zip on type on my first bike and I have the longer slide on type on my current bike. Both solve the problem but better fork seals and dust wipers are the ultimate solution.

Reactions: ADVArt

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
My 2019 ATAS was bitten by the issue of stuff flaking off the welds. They are not replacing the tank, but are replacing both the fuel pump and the injectors, as well as cleaning the tank. We will see how that goes.

I am still considering having them add the Mazinga pre-pump fuel filter.

Good call on the seal mate

TXVet

Oct 30, 2019
League City, TX
First problem is the stuff flaking off the welds inside the gas tank and clogging the screen going into the fuel pump. If this problem bites you while away from home, you can dump a can of Seafoam in the bike and it will help for a short time. It will not solve the problem. The Seafoam got me home when I had 900 miles to go. The proper solution is to remove the tank and get the sludge out. Remove the tank and fuel pump assembly. Clean the tank and flush with vinegar. Do not let the vinegar soak in the tank as it will damage the coating inside the tank. Remove the particles from the screen attached to the pump. .
What symptoms where you having causing you to look into the fuel tank issue? i feel like im losing fuel at WOT in 2nd and 3rd just feel like there is nothing the power goes in and out.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
What symptoms where you having causing you to look into the fuel tank issue? i feel like im losing fuel at WOT in 2nd and 3rd just feel like there is nothing the power goes in and out.
That was largely it with mine and it became progressively worse. The bike would suddenly just start to sputter and bog down as though it were running out of gas even though there was plenty there. Pulling over, and opening the tank I would be greeted with a heavy fuel smell as though it was vapor locked. It would then take 2 or 3 attempts to restart the bike and it would ride fine for a while, rinse, repeat ...

The most fun moment came while I was attempting a pass. I had crossed the dotted yellow and was passing the vehicle and suddenly the bike began to lose power and decelerate. Luckily I had time to get back in behind the vehicle I was trying to pass, but it is a situation that could obviously pose a danger.

Reactions: TXVet

TXVet

Oct 30, 2019
League City, TX
That was largely it with mine and it became progressively worse. The bike would suddenly just start to sputter and bog down as though it were running out of gas even though there was plenty there. Pulling over, and opening the tank I would be greeted with a heavy fuel smell as though it was vapor locked. It would then take 2 or 3 attempts to restart the bike and it would ride fine for a while, rinse, repeat ...

The most fun moment came while I was attempting a pass. I had crossed the dotted yellow and was passing the vehicle and suddenly the bike began to lose power and decelerate. Luckily I had time to get back in behind the vehicle I was trying to pass, but it is a situation that could obviously pose a danger.
Ya that sounds no fun, i havent had anything that dramatic just feel like when i get on it the power is intermittent.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Ya that sounds no fun, i havent had anything that dramatic just feel like when i get on it the power is intermittent.
When mine first started doing that intermittently as you describe, I thought "no big deal, I will just have it addressed at the 4K service interval." I have a service contract on the bike and always bring it in for those 4K services. In addition to cleaning the crankcase breather, spark arrestor and doing the inspections/adjustments, oil change every 4K is covered under the plan.

But it suddenly started acting much worse. Usually at higher speeds. Couldn't go above a certain speed, etc. WOT would result in pretty much nothing. It it even got to the point where starting from a stop at a light or an intersection would just result in it sputtering and chugging instead of accelerating.

Last time I rode it I had it happen 4 times. I brought it in the next morning and told them I didn't want it back until it was fixed.

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
I agree with Playin, it is when. Mine was early on last spring when they were trying to figure out what it was. Mother Honda told the local shop that "something" gets into the filter and pump on "some" L2 models, and they shipped a new pump. I just hope that i don't have a second round with it as the first one came back to me about 3 weeks prior to warranty expiration. I will have a little more confidence in it when I am up around 15,000 miles, but until then the road trips will be on the Goldwing.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I just got a call from the dealership that mine is done. New pump, new injectors, tank cleaned. Hopefully, it won't occur again, but less than 4K on the bike and I have an extended warranty. If it does, they will be dealing with it again under warranty. Now if the side streets leading to my house would just all melt off. Hoping to pick it up on Saturday.

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
If it happens again to me I will likely do the work myself to make sure it is done properly. Mine came back from the shop with a "dirty" display. When I tried to use some plexus to clean it I found it was etching as if someone had a contaminate like brake fluid on their hands and smeared it. No way to prove it was not that way before it came in, so living with it.

Reactions: Graves

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Nothing like leaving your bike so some nincompoop can damage it while they "fix" it.

If it happens again to me I will likely do the work myself to make sure it is done properly. Mine came back from the shop with a "dirty" display. When I tried to use some plexus to clean it I found it was etching as if someone had a contaminate like brake fluid on their hands and smeared it. No way to prove it was not that way before it came in, so living with it.

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
Going to try to see if some headlight polishing techniques will work, so any suggestions are welcome. Countdown to retirement - R - 60 days and counting.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Some plastic polish just might do it.

Going to try to see if some headlight polishing techniques will work, so any suggestions are welcome. Countdown to retirement - R - 60 days and counting.

T2AZZ

Sep 1, 2019
Arizona
My 2019 ATAS would not start after 56 miles. It exhibited no problems until I tried to start it. Took it back to the dealer and Honda authorized replacing the pump with one off the showroom floor. They flushed the tank (I hope) and replaced the filter and I was on my way the next day. I haven’t had any problems since but I only have 1200 mile on it so far.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
My 2019 ATAS would not start after 56 miles. It exhibited no problems until I tried to start it. Took it back to the dealer and Honda authorized replacing the pump with one off the showroom floor. They flushed the tank (I hope) and replaced the filter and I was on my way the next day. I haven’t had any problems since but I only have 1200 mile on it so far.
Based on my own experiences with the 2019 ATAS and the remedy to fix it (replaced fuel pump, replaced both injectors, cleaned and flushed the tank) , I would say they half-assed it in your case. Heck, I am not convinced they full-assed it in my case. But time will tell for us both :)

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I can’t see why they would have replaced the injectors on your bike, unless it ran long enough starving for fuel that the pump s@*& itself into the injectors. We are talking a welding slag / back purging problem here right.? That debris shouldn’t have made it past the filter. ??? Maybe they just over killed the repair because the failure / repair was in its infancy.

Based on my own experiences with the 2019 ATAS and the remedy to fix it (replaced fuel pump, replaced both injectors, cleaned and flushed the tank) , I would say they half-assed it in your case. Heck, I am not convinced they full-assed it in my case. But time will tell for us both :)

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I can’t see why they would have replaced the injectors on your bike, unless it ran long enough starving for fuel that the pump s@*& itself into the injectors. We are talking a welding slag / back purging problem here right.? That debris shouldn’t have made it past the filter. ??? Maybe they just over killed the repair because the failure / repair was in its infancy.

It's a good question. When I talked to the shop he said that Honda used to recommend just replacing the fuel pump and cleaning the tank, but now they also recommend replacing the injectors. The Repair Order does state Relace Fuel Pump per Honda. Replace Injectors Per Honda. Clean Tank per Honda.

So it would seem that replacing the injectors is actually an additional task from the infancy stages of the issue.

Perhaps they were finding that it was making it past the filter after all?

Edit: I don't think it was long starving for fuel. I had one incident of it acting up about 2 weeks prior to this last bout (where it acted up 4 times.) The first time it happened it was on the way up to Eisenhower Tunnel and I thought maybe it was maybe just some "one off" fluke with altitude. It seemed to run fine for two weeks after until the recent bout where I took it in. It never actually stalled or stopped running on its own, so it never ran dry. While it did happen a total of 5 times where it acted up, it was only encompassing 2 days.

Last edited:

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I’m just trying to sort it out in my head... is it a weld byproduct issue or some kind of dissolved chemical contamination issue. The “why” for replacing the injectors could be a clue. Most injectors today are self cleaning, and the inlet screen only passes what can flow through the injector, so something has to be fouling the screen or the valve and seat.

It's a good question. When I talked to the shop he said that Honda used to recommend just replacing the fuel pump and cleaning the tank, but now they also recommend replacing the injectors. The Repair Order does state Relace Fuel Pump per Honda. Replace Injectors Per Honda. Clean Tank per Honda.

So it would seem that replacing the injectors is actually an additional task from the infancy stages of the issue.

Perhaps they were finding that it was making it past the filter after all?

Edit: I don't think it was long starving for fuel. I had one incident of it acting up about 2 weeks prior to this last bout (where it acted up 4 times.) The first time it happened it was on the way up to Eisenhower Tunnel and I thought maybe it was maybe just some "one off" fluke with altitude. It seemed to run fine for two weeks after until the recent bout where I took it in. It never actually stalled or stopped running on its own, so it never ran dry. While it did happen a total of 5 times where it acted up, it was only encompassing 2 days.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I’m just trying to sort it out in my head... is it a weld byproduct issue or some kind of dissolved chemical contamination issue. The “why” for replacing the injectors could be a clue. Most injectors today are self cleaning, and the inlet screen only passes what can flow through the injector, so something has to be fouling the screen or the valve and seat.
I am honestly not sure what it is, weld byproduct vs dissolved chemical. But it does make you wonder if it isn't a disolved chemical that is getting through to the injectors and perhaps Honda learned that just replacing the fuel pump wasn't enough.

Back to the original question you had asked though, it is interesting that the dealership never even test rode the bike or had to observe the issue. I just told them what it was doing, they said they knew exactly what the problem was and ordered the parts/did the work per Honda .

Edit: Also of note on this. They said Honda had sent them 2 fuel pumps in preparation for dealing with the issue and they quickly used them up on my bike and another customer, but the injectors were back ordered. They finally got those in for myself and the other guy, but they had another come in this week and both the fuel pumps and injectors are on extended back order. It would appear Honda has their hands full with this.

I need to call them Tuesday to follow up anyway. I will see if I can't get more info about what it is that's getting into the pump and why they would have to replace the injectors.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu