Adventure Sports issues and my solutions

Bakoboy79

May 23, 2020
Bakersfield, CA
Here's an update to my post from June 21st. I just picked up my Adventure sport from the service department. It turned out to be big clogged fuel pump issue everyone else is experiencing. Very frustrating with only 520 miles on the bike. I am already discussing working out a deal to trade the bike in on a V-Strom. Or possibly just the standard Africa twin model.

jkmcgill

Feb 1, 2019
canada
Here's an update to my post from June 21st. I just picked up my Adventure sport from the service department. It turned out to be big clogged fuel pump issue everyone else is experiencing. Very frustrating with only 520 miles on the bike. I am already discussing working out a deal to trade the bike in on a V-Strom. Or possibly just the standard Africa twin model.
if the fuel tank issue is the only reason, it is a very solvable problem. Rather pathetic Honda has done nothing about it in 3 years, but once you take care of it with a guglatech filter and good tank cleaning, it is resolved.

Hugh2bee

Nov 20, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Had the same problem a couple weeks ago. 2019 ATAS dct with about 9000km. It would hesitate and bog at high speed. I stopped the bike, turned it off and opened the lid on the fuel tank. It was really hot and thought it was a vapor lock or the vent was block. Anyway it worked good after that. Now I think after reading all these posts I better take it in for a check up.

Bakoboy79

May 23, 2020
Bakersfield, CA
if the fuel tank issue is the only reason, it is a very solvable problem. Rather pathetic Honda has done nothing about it in 3 years, but once you take care of it with a guglatech filter and good tank cleaning, it is resolved.
Yes, it is pretty ridiculous that they haven't come up with a permanent fix. I was going to order the outer filter but on the website it shows a filler neck and says if you have that filler, their filer is not compatible with your tank. Wouldn't you know it, I have that filler neck. 🤦🏻‍♂️

jkmcgill

Feb 1, 2019
canada
Yes, it is pretty ridiculous that they haven't come up with a permanent fix. I was going to order the outer filter but on the website it shows a filler neck and says if you have that filler, their filer is not compatible with your tank. Wouldn't you know it, I have that filler neck. 🤦🏻‍♂️
that's not the one you want, you want the Mazinga, it is a sock that fits over the fuel pump, and a replacement prefilter
https://www.guglatech.com/en/prodotto/honda-africa-twin-crf-1000-fuel-pump-protection-system/

it requires some mechanical skills, and the tank removal section of the service manual helps a lot, but you need to remove the tank, the fuel pump, then drain the tank into a pail, put a bit more gas in it, slosh around, drain into empty bucket, repeat until you don't see any more particulate coming out, then install the parts that come in the kit, and problem solved. Then check it again when the tank is off for valve adjustment at 25000km, and whatever is going to flake off should be done by then

Last edited:

jkmcgill

Feb 1, 2019
canada
Had the same problem a couple weeks ago. 2019 ATAS dct with about 9000km. It would hesitate and bog at high speed. I stopped the bike, turned it off and opened the lid on the fuel tank. It was really hot and thought it was a vapor lock or the vent was block. Anyway it worked good after that. Now I think after reading all these posts I better take it in for a check up.
yes, likely what it is. kind of like sucking a strawberry milkshake, and the strawberry plugs the straw. stop sucking and the strawberry falls off.... but it's still there and going to plug your straw again

Reactions: playinatwork

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu