• Wishing everyone a happy new year! May 2019 bring you tons of happiness and riding time.

Africa twin Magura hydraulic clutch kit

Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Might put this in multiple areas on here, but I'm thinking about putting the Magura hydraulic clutch kit on my '17 standard AT. Seems like a reasonable price, about $200-$300 US for a good clutch upgrade idea. They say it can cut clutch pull by almost half which when on tight technical trails and bad traffic can greatly reduce hand fatigue( I'm all for that, more energy + less fatigue = longer rides!! ) My Question is has anyone installed one on their bikes and how much of a difference did it make and are there any drawbacks, I've ridden with stock hydro clutches on multiple bikes so I know the concepts, I'm more looking for info on the specific Magura kit for the AT. like this one

Keep the rubber side down

https://touratech-usa.com/store/Magura-Hydraulic-Clutch-Kit-Honda-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L

Last edited:

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I have a CR500 that takes two men and a small boy to pull the clutch in. When I got the AT, the clutch pull felt like nothing in comparison, now that I hardly ride the CR anymore the AT’s clutch is starting to feel heavy and the CR’s clutch pull is impossible. What I’m saying here is that hand fatigue is more about conditioning than anything else, try one of those hand exercisers while watching TV. All that being said, I think the hydraulic clutch retrofit tends to reduce pull by about 30%... or so I’ve been told for the CR. The one real significant upside to the retrofit, which would be a real benefit on the CR with its aluminum clutch plates, would be that the clutch adjusts automatically, no more loss of clutch action when working it like a rented donkey.

Might put this in multiple areas on here, but I'm thinking about putting the Magura hydraulic clutch kit on my '17 standard AT. Seems like a reasonable price, about $200-$300 US for a good clutch upgrade idea. They say it can cut clutch pull by almost half which when on tight technical trails and bad traffic can greatly reduce hand fatigue( I'm all for that, more energy + less fatigue = longer rides!! ) My Question is has anyone installed one on their bikes and how much of a difference did it make and are there any drawbacks, I've ridden with stock hydro clutches on multiple bikes so I know the concepts, I'm more looking for info on the specific Magura kit for the AT. like this one

https://touratech-usa.com/store/Magura-Hydraulic-Clutch-Kit-Honda-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L

Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I have a CR500 that takes two men and a small boy to pull the clutch in. When I got the AT, the clutch pull felt like nothing in comparison, now that I hardly ride the CR anymore the AT’s clutch is starting to feel heavy and the CR’s clutch pull is impossible. What I’m saying here is that hand fatigue is more about conditioning than anything else, try one of those hand exercisers while watching TV. All that being said, I think the hydraulic clutch retrofit tends to reduce pull by about 30%... or so I’ve been told for the CR. The one real significant upside to the retrofit, which would be a real benefit on the CR with its aluminum clutch plates, would be that the clutch adjusts automatically, no more loss of clutch action when working it like a rented donkey.
I do agree with the conditioning and comparison part, the AT feels light as a feather compared to my older bikes, but regardless of the bike when you get in the tight stuff and or get a little arm pump going it can get a bit tiresome( or maybe I'm just getting older) it's not like I cant do it, I just was thinking if it would make things easier, why not? I see it as Kind of a "why do it the hard way if I dont have to."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
And I did rent a donkey in Mexico and boy did it get worked!! theres something about getting that extra rental insurance that just makes you wanna ride the daylights out of it....

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
My arm pump tends to go away after a half hour... tends to. The last time I rode the AT through real technical stuff my hands all but gave out, need more exercise and acceptance that I'm not as young as I used to be. All of the abuse I gave my body when young is starting to get it's revenge.

I do agree with the conditioning and comparison part, the AT feels light as a feather compared to my older bikes, but regardless of the bike when you get in the tight stuff and or get a little arm pump going it can get a bit tiresome( or maybe I'm just getting older) it's not like I cant do it, I just was thinking if it would make things easier, why not? I see it as Kind of a "why do it the hard way if I dont have to."

Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
My arm pump tends to go away after a half hour... tends to. The last time I rode the AT through real technical stuff my hands all but gave out, need more exercise and acceptance that I'm not as young as I used to be. All of the abuse I gave my body when young is starting to get it's revenge.
I feel your pain... believe me.... im not much for farkles but I am for performance upgrades for sure, eh if it sucks I'll just go back to stock lol but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it and get one I'll do an install post on it with pics if anyone is interested!
Next up , sending the forks and shock out to Konflict to get set up... i am still debating which package I want, definitely not looking forward to that bill...

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I've been thinking about one for the CR, but the AT eats all my farkle funds. Please do let us know how the install goes... with pics please.

I feel your pain... believe me.... im not much for farkles but I am for performance upgrades for sure, eh if it sucks I'll just go back to stock lol but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it and get one I'll do an install post on it with pics if anyone is interested!
Next up , sending the forks and shock out to Konflict to get set up... i am still debating which package I want, definitely not looking forward to that bill...

_relz_

Apr 30, 2018
Israel
I'm following this thread too, keep us posted please.
I'm quite OK with a two finger pull on the clutch, but find it a bit hard to control accurately with a one finger pull (and I'd like to get down to the one finger). If the Magura clutch is substantially easier to pull, I might consider it too.

Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I'm following this thread too, keep us posted please.
I'm quite OK with a two finger pull on the clutch, but find it a bit hard to control accurately with a one finger pull (and I'd like to get down to the one finger). If the Magura clutch is substantially easier to pull, I might consider it too.
Will keep everyone posted, plannin on doing an install post then a test with a scale for pull weight before and after

Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Just ordered the Africa twin specific setup from touratech for $299 US, could've probably gotten it cheaper elsewhere but I trust touratech to send and advertise the proper parts (piece of mind is priceless)....

While I was at it I also went to motorsport to get a short lever for the magura kit to test (for future reference if you want the short lever it has to be ordered for a different bike but as long as it's a lever for a magura 167 master cylinder it will work) and a 15t front sprocket to try out, might be nice to have a tractor gear for the tight technical stuff, for $20 I couldn't say no.. links for short lever and sprocket below:

https://www.motosport.com/magura-usa-replacement-lever-167

https://www.motosport.com/sunstar-front-sprocket?mmy=honda;crf1000l;2017&mmy_source=pdp

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu