• Hi everyone, hope all of you are safe and healthy. We've updated the image upload size to 5MB from 2MB so everyone can upload some pretty pictures during their quarantine. We will also be updating our software and servers as the weeks go by so please let us know if you have any issues. Wishing all riders good health during these times.

Any had to replace a 2017 battery yet?

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
Its Been sitting for weeks started kinds weak just now! any suggestions on what type battery? lithium or just a good ole stand by Yuasa? from searching sites old comments say to replace with a YTZ14S, but better things are discovered every day. This looks like it fits the bill, anyone? hidden away I sure would hate to have a lithium fire..
MMG YTZ14S Z14S Lithium Ion Sealed Powersports Battery 12V 300 CCA Motorcycle Scooter ATV UTV Jetski Watercraft (MMG4)
1588807215872.png

Last edited:

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
46 looks and not a comment! Well been busy with other projects and just haven't been riding enough i guess. Bike shop never did close their doors so stopped by yesterday for a chat, they were actually very cordial! Parts folk directed me to service to have battery checked after explaining my 2017 was just purchased 7 mos ago. I never believed in needing a charger for any bike I've owned for they were ridden often enough. a few weeks should not make a diff, and if it does the battery is on its way out IMO. Well service said its better than a new one! Go figure! Any way I searched for a Guinea-pig that has tried the lithium battery instead of the good ol yuasa. No one no where will say they have stuffed this probable flair into a (15 min in good conditions to remove battery) inaccessible cubby on the A/T. I asked the dealer would you sell me a newer oem lithium for the 2017 the reply was if you want to but it would be a Shorai. So there it is! The lithium is a better battery but not for the A/T IMO! most want to use a good ol Yuasa like I have now in the new stuff. Works for me BUT my 3 yr old oem battery can't be better than new as the trusted can't be wrong stealer says. Got a new Yuasa on the way.

superfunkomatic

I have a 2016. Battery is always on a trickle charger when not in use. I think it's okay for at least another summer.
I'd go with a Shorai again. I've had them in a few bikes and they were great - no issues at all. The only difference is price - lithium are more expensive but may theoretically last longer. As far as a 'lithium fire' if you end up in that position it's likely that you and your bike are already in peril since the battery is housed below the subframe spars - pretty hard to damage there.

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
The only down sides to lithiums is they tend to be more finicky, they dont do well in cold or very hot climates and they cannot be "recovered" if run fully flat lead acid it far more "durable" and do better in more climate changes, but on the up side they do have better energy density so you will get more cranking amps out of them but for a far shorter amount of time like if you drop your bike into a stream or river and need continuous cranking to blow out the cylinders a lithium will leave you stranded but a lead acid won't or is at least less likely to....i have had plenty of times in the woods where ive ran a lead acid flat and let it sit for a half hour and it cranked again and ive had lithiums go flat in the woods and that was that she had to be towed out, so i am more biased to the tried and true factory replacements

Keep the rubber side down

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
Thanks for ALL the good info. Sure helps me make a decision since they are so close on cost. I'm wondering if the pricey OEM lithium is a better made, safer, battery than say shorai which is what the dealer said they would sell me if I insisted I needed. Do they make em for Honda?

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu