Anyone pack when you ride?

SeaEngine

Jul 17, 2017
San Diego
I would love a 9mm to carry for longer rides. It's tough getting a CCW license in California. @20over How do you carry yours while riding?

PC12driver

Jan 12, 2017
Westminster, CO
Better to have it and not need it...that’s what the tank holster, I mean tank bag is for right?

Aviator and Moto Pilot
BMW K1600GT / Honda Africa Twin
KBJC - Colorado

Mitch

Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
I do not carry every day, but when I travel into regions beyond, I am comforted to have a side arm with me. I do not ever expect to have to use it, but that's what insurance is for.

I like a lot of them........Glock 19 Gen 5, S&W M&P Shield, Springfield XD-S, and the Kahr CM9 is a great value in a small package.

Reactions: Admin

LeRoi

Apr 19, 2019
Denver,Co.
H&K VP-40, everywhere I go. Usually keep it in the tank bag, I don't want it 'on' me if I go down on a trail ride.

_relz_

Apr 30, 2018
Israel
I ride with a Glock19 always. When I'm on the road, it's just stuck in the back of my jeans so it's easy enough to access if needed (I admit that I pray I won't part with it if get thrown off in an accident, wouldn't want to lose it and let it get in the wrong hands).
When dirt riding, I usually stick it in my small back pack.

BTW (slightly different issue, but same concern for me) I also learned from a friend, who learned this the hard way, to always have my mobile phone on my body (e.g. in a jacket pocket) when road riding... He had an accident at night, and flew into a ditch with a broken leg. His mobile phone was on his bike only a short distance away, but he couldn't reach it in order to call for help. Took hours for someone to finally find him...

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
That’s basically how we lost Kurt Caselli, his Spot was attached to the bike.

BTW (slightly different issue, but same concern for me) I also learned from a friend, who learned this the hard way, to always have my mobile phone on my body (e.g. in a jacket pocket) when road riding... He had an accident at night, and flew into a ditch with a broken leg. His mobile phone was on his bike only a short distance away, but he couldn't reach it in order to call for help. Took hours for someone to finally find him...

Reactions: Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
That’s basically how we lost Kurt Caselli, his Spot was attached to the bike.

Yeah, I always have my inReach securely on my person rather than on the bike.

Spot, InReach or PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) is a much more reliable option than a phone too, which will likely not have cell service when/where you need it most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I believe that they had it mounted to the bike due to rider changes.

Yeah, I always have my inReach securely on my person rather than on the bike.

Spot, InReach or PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) is a much more reliable option than a phone too, which will likely not have cell service when/where you need it most.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I believe that they had it mounted to the bike due to rider changes.

Could be. That’s why my wife and I decided to each get one. Didn’t want to leave one on the bike or one of us not have one. It also gives us the ability to text each other if we are separated for some reason without needing cell service.

We have one of the bigger Explorer + units with the maps, etc. and one of the tiny Mini units.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Wrap your head around this
The late great Kurt Caselli.

Could be. That’s why my wife and I decided to each get one. Didn’t want to leave one on the bike or one of us not have one. It also gives us the ability to text each other if we are separated for some reason without needing cell service.

We have one of the bigger Explorer + units with the maps, etc. and one of the tiny Mini units.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Wrap your head around this
The late great Kurt Caselli.
Hmmm...pack???
R U packin heat, is that whatcha y'all refuren to ??
We can pack up here in Canada, but just don't get caught, as well there's no need to...
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

playinatwork

Aug 22, 2019
Jacksonville, FL.
I'm leaving on a backcountry trip next week thru Grizzly country in Idaho and Montana. I'd like to carry but my only 2 choices are a small 38 or a 12ga. Bullpup. Anyone know a good mounting method for this? I don't think the 38 will be much help if I need it. 1627053534483.png

BillG

Feb 20, 2021
Illinois
I carry all the time. I rode a week in Idaho last summer and across Idaho last month. Carry the 38. I didn't see any bears and having killed 4 black bears with a bow and arrow I've been up close and personal with many bears. Use +p hollow point ammo but yelling at the bear or banging pans will probably scare them off. Avoid sows with cubs and keep your distance. Don't run from them use you head and keep your distance. Idaho is a wonderful place to ride. Have fun and enjoy. BTW I carried a 38 in Alaska while bow hunting for Caribou.

Reactions: playinatwork

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu