Bent Handlebars ?

Juggler01

Nov 30, 2018
Thornton Cleveleys
Has anyone else experienced moved handlebars .. ? I went down at 600 miles but only noticed the offset bars at 4000 miles so not sure its related to that fall. Someone said it could just need the mounts loosening, push it back and retighten the mounts - I thought the bars were bent but maybe not !

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Has anyone else experienced moved handlebars .. ? I went down at 600 miles but only noticed the offset bars at 4000 miles so not sure its related to that fall. Someone said it could just need the mounts loosening, push it back and retighten the mounts - I thought the bars were bent but maybe not !
I went down in dirt at about 30mph around 2000 miles handle bars don't look bent but my right arm has been shorter than my left ever since....

Seriously though mine is barely noticeable by eye but I can definitely feel that its bent..

Maybe ill just purposely bag on the left to even it out

Keep the rubber side down

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
It’s pretty hard to bend taper bars, but it can be done. Could also be the forks twisted in the clamps. If the bars are cocked just loosen one of the clamps and bump it back.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdalameda

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
It’s pretty hard to bend taper bars, but it can be done. Could also be the forks twisted in the clamps. If the bars are cocked just listen one of the clamps and bump it back.
Oh it can be done... mine are living proof...was going to get new ones or find an aftermarket set but if i squint and try real hard I can ignore it hahahaha

Black99S

Aug 25, 2016
BC, Canada
Before you loosen anything - the risers are rubber mounted.
Depending on what way you need to move the bars, turn the steering to the stop then reef on the bars. Check if they are straight.
If you went the wrong way (it happens) go the other way.
If you went too far then go the the other steering lock and reef them back a bit.
Pretty common.

Reactions: livingwellcfr

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Bend some Pro Tapers on a 250 pound dirt bike, then you’ll know you crashed.

Oh it can be done... mine are living proof...was going to get new ones or find an aftermarket set but if i squint and try real hard I can ignore it hahahaha

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Bend some Pro Tapers on a 250 pound dirt bike, then you’ll know you crashed.
Does my old xt 250 or blaster 200 fourwheeler with bent protapers count hahahah I think my rm250 had bent renthals so not quite the same

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
That’s why they call them Bendthals. I tried Protapers on my CR500, couldn’t take the vibration so I had to switch to the more flexible softer Renthals.

Does my old xt 250 or blaster 200 fourwheeler with bent protapers count hahahah I think my rm250 had bent renthals so not quite the same

livingwellcfr

May 6, 2018
Idaho
Before you loosen anything - the risers are rubber mounted.
Depending on what way you need to move the bars, turn the steering to the stop then reef on the bars. Check if they are straight.
If you went the wrong way (it happens) go the other way.
If you went too far then go the the other steering lock and reef them back a bit.
Pretty common.
Yep, I've done this three times now, easy fix.

kcmoto

May 2, 2020
ohio
I took a soil sample last week and bars were out of position bad. Broke the mirror ( new double takes on the way) and thought the bars were bent. I was able to reposition them very easy. They were just crooked in rubber mounts and after a couple of adjustments are now perfect. The oem plastic lever guards actually worked better that I thought they would.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu