Canadian AT owner

Catahoula

Jun 20, 2018
Canada
Hello from about an hour east of Vancouver BC. Bought my new 2017 AT 3 weeks ago.
Spent too much on accessories. ;)
Courtney.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Welcome to the group. The need for change never ends, enjoy tinkering. What crash bars did you get?

Hello from about an hour east of Vancouver BC. Bought my new 2017 AT 3 weeks ago.
Spent too much on accessories. ;)
Courtney.

Catahoula

Jun 20, 2018
Canada
Welcome to the group. The need for change never ends, enjoy tinkering. What crash bars did you get?
Hi - I got the 3 part system from AltRider - after searching most setups that are sold AltRider seems to be the best design and the strongest.

Vapor

Aug 5, 2018
Vandirty
I put on the AltRIder crash bars as well. Solid piece of kit. Added their skid plate too. Cost an arm and leg to bring it across the border though. I'm sure it will pay for itself soon. o_O

Reactions: JWRusk

Catahoula

Jun 20, 2018
Canada
I put on the AltRIder crash bars as well. Solid piece of kit. Added their skid plate too. Cost an arm and leg to bring it across the border though. I'm sure it will pay for itself soon. o_O
Try Dual Sport Plus for Altrider and other items. https://www.dualsportplus.com/Default.asp
They are in Canada so you see the final price and they have free shipping if you spend over a small amount.
The owner is Clint MacBride 1-888-990-9013

Reactions: JWRusk

Catahoula

Jun 20, 2018
Canada
Thanks! I can see that I'm going to pick a few things up from them already.
Maybe you should look at my AT before you order anything.
It is easier to see in person than a catalogue.

I bought my no mileage 2017 AT brand new May 16 a few weeks ago.
3670 k's so far.

Vapor

Aug 5, 2018
Vandirty
Its too late for me... The only thing left that I'm really debating is what type of GPS/NAV system I'll go with and who's soft panniers I'll buy.
Those will have to wait till next year. The credit card is worn out.

Catahoula

Jun 20, 2018
Canada
Its too late for me... The only thing left that I'm really debating is what type of GPS/NAV system I'll go with and who's soft panniers I'll buy.
Those will have to wait till next year. The credit card is worn out.
Hi - Are you riding your beast?
I'm still waiting to get together - for a ride or to help you with riding skills.
Courtney.

royswwifft

Feb 12, 2019
CA
Want the snow to stop lol

My bike last saw action two days after Christmas on a ride up to Harrison lake where I came off and twisted my ankle. It's just about better now. Where roughly do you live?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Catahoula

Jun 20, 2018
Canada
Hello - The snow is stopping - but the roads will be covered.
Roughly? The north end of Chilliwack.
But, I sold my AT in November. I had it for 6 months. Absolutely nothing wrong with it except the weight.
I like to ride in tight forest trails and the AT is just too heavy and bulky. Taking 10 minutes to turn it around on an uphill gravel trail was just too tedious.
I bought a new 2018 Honda CRF250L Rally. The nickname is the Hafrica Single. :) 225 pounds lighter than my AT. Yes a lot less horsepower.
My AT went over twice while stationary going uphill and I could not lift it up by myself. Twice other people came by and helped.
That is not my idea of fun or independence.
I'm still willing to ride with dual-purpose bikes. Just now I can lift it myself and go to remote places and not worry about others to help pick it up. :)
Courtney.

Reactions: superfunkomatic

royswwifft

Feb 12, 2019
CA
Hello - The snow is stopping - but the roads will be covered.
Roughly? The north end of Chilliwack.
But, I sold my AT in November. I had it for 6 months. Absolutely nothing wrong with it except the weight.
I like to ride in tight forest trails and the AT is just too heavy and bulky. Taking 10 minutes to turn it around on an uphill gravel trail was just too tedious.
I bought a new 2018 Honda CRF250L Rally. The nickname is the Hafrica Single. :) 225 pounds lighter than my AT. Yes a lot less horsepower.
My AT went over twice while stationary going uphill and I could not lift it up by myself. Twice other people came by and helped.
That is not my idea of fun or independence.
I'm still willing to ride with dual-purpose bikes. Just now I can lift it myself and go to remote places and not worry about others to help pick it up. :)
Courtney.
I am with you. I am am old fart but pretty strong and healthy as I can deadlift 250lbs but getting that flipping thing upright is a pain in the bum. So much so I won't ride alone as last time I was out I dropped it and without the two other guys I would have been walking out.
Maybe we could have a ride one day in the spring?

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
This thing is heavy, and hard to pickup especially fully loaded and upside down, one should never venture out by themselves if they can't pick up the bike that they're riding. There are ways to do it if you can't dead lift it, something that should be learned and practiced in the garage.

I am with you. I am am old fart but pretty strong and healthy as I can deadlift 250lbs but getting that flipping thing upright is a pain in the bum. So much so I won't ride alone as last time I was out I dropped it and without the two other guys I would have been walking out.

Catahoula

Jun 20, 2018
Canada

That is my [was] concern / thought as well. I was really sad to sell a perfect, 6 month old AT with $3000 worth of after market goodies especially nearly every AltRider part. Now I have the (H)africa Single :) Yes I gave up a lot of horsepower. But I can go places now where I would not dare take an AT
Sure -- I am up for exploring almost anytime. Where are you located? I am in the north end of Chilliwack.
Do you have the standard gearing? I changed mine for lower speed control - lost a bit of top end but who needs 200+ k's ?
b.f.n.
Courtney.

superfunkomatic

I agree. I have both of those bikes. The smaller bike (CRF250L) is perfect for trails and areas where I don't want to pick up the largesse of the AT. The AT is my touring bike that I also use on foresty roads, gravel, and two track. It's a great combination for local rides (small bike) and cross-country or cross-continent adventures (bike big).

royswwifft

Feb 12, 2019
CA
That is my [was] concern / thought as well. I was really sad to sell a perfect, 6 month old AT with $3000 worth of after market goodies especially nearly every AltRider part. Now I have the (H)africa Single :) Yes I gave up a lot of horsepower. But I can go places now where I would not dare take an AT
Sure -- I am up for exploring almost anytime. Where are you located? I am in the north end of Chilliwack.
Do you have the standard gearing? I changed mine for lower speed control - lost a bit of top end but who needs 200+ k's ?
b.f.n.
Courtney.
Unfortunately I am in Burnaby / north Vancouver. I did ride the loop of one of the lakes out there before Christmas with a buddy that was fun. Do you ever come out to Squamish way?

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu