• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2021!

Centre stand installation

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
I hope I'm posting in the correct place.
Just bought a Honda OEM centre stand for my 2020 Africa Twin DCT model.
I managed to watch a couple of videos on how to install the centre stand.
It appears that the stand itself is a relatively simple install, that is, the stand fits onto the underside of the bike and is held in place with a washer and a circlip. I should mention the circlip has a sharp side and a slightly rounded side...the sharp side faces outwards.
Now, to attaching the springs...that's the difficult part of the job.
One video shows attaching the springs by pulling them with a hooked hand tool. Another guy had a ratchet strap attached to the spring via an "S" shaped hook. I'm not sure how much tension is required to pull and attach the springs, but it appears rather substantial. I have a third method in mind.
When this damn snow clears, and I finally get "big red" out of the barn, I'm going to try the "spring stretch" using a very long and strong tie wrap or zip tie.
As I pull and tighten the tie wrap, it will lock each time in a tighter position, thus hopefully bringing the spring(s) one at a time close enough to allow me to attach them onto the centre stand.
I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who has installed the Honda OEM centre stand which comes with two springs, other brands come with one spring and also a spring within a spring.
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I always just disassemble a wire coat hanger to make my own hook tools bend it into whatever shape I need with a small loop or hook on the end and put my foot against something solid an pull like hell, always seems to work out ok , either that or sacrifice an old beat up screw driver and heat it with a torch till the tip is red hot and bend it into a hook and bam you got a hook tool

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
I always just disassemble a wire coat hanger to make my own hook tools bend it into whatever shape I need with a small loop or hook on the end and put my foot against something solid an pull like hell, always seems to work out ok , either that or sacrifice an old beat up screw driver and heat it with a torch till the tip is red hot and bend it into a hook and bam you got a hook tool

OK thanks, there's an idea.
Is your bike on the side stand or a rear pad lift?
SHUMBA

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
OK thanks, there's an idea.
Is your bike on the side stand or a rear pad lift?
SHUMBA

I had it the sidestand in a high gear to prevent rolling when i did it, I have installed and removed it multiple times since to work on the engine and other reasons, I can never seem to find the tool I made previously so I always end up just making a new one every time

KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

Reactions: SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
I had it the sidestand in a high gear to prevent rolling when i did it, I have installed and removed it multiple times since to work on the engine and other reasons, I can never seem to find the tool I made previously so I always end up just making a new one every time

KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

OK thanks for that...to attach the springs, one is going to be pulling the bike aft, so logically the sidestand would work. I have a rear pad stand, I may use that, and have someone assist, cause my luck I'll pull on the springs and dump the bike over on top if myself.
SHUMBA
Yes, absolutely, and always wear your gear...
SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
A wire loop of the correct length to stick a broomstick through, bracing the inner end of the broomstick in the wheel rim. All the leverage you need, and no damage to the wheel.
Now, there's a solution...shouldn't cause any pull on the bike and cause it to upset.
Thanks for your reply
Appreciated
SHUMBA

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu