• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

Chain Maintenance

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
The important part is not cheaping out when buying a chain, and not running it too tight. My buddy doesn’t lube his chains... they seem to last as long as mine do, l just can’t make that leap.

I not only clean my chain with WD40.....I lube my chain with WD40.

Chain maintenance garners as many arguments as any other moto debate, so I won't get sucked into it. I'll just ask you to read the article labeled "The WD40 Experiment" at the bottom of the page linked here... http://www.watt-man.com/Information__Articles.html

Mitch

africatwin.org gold
Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
Completely agree. Always buy excellent quality, keep it clean, and keep it adjusted properly.

Run it tight and not only will you wear the chain and sprockets, you'll wear the counter shaft bearing.

Regarding lube, there is no wrong answer. I have heard experts say you must and I have heard experts say it is a waste of time and money. No doubt, before sealed chains it was a must.....now it is a debate.

Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
The important part is not cheaping out when buying a chain, and not running it too tight. My buddy doesn’t lube his chains... they seem to last as long as mine do, l just can’t make that leap.
I am with your buddy. My wife maintains her chains almost religiously and I don't maintain mine at all. They seem to last about the same time. I am not saying I advocate that modern O and X ring chains are maintenance free, but pretty damned close?

SpeedLime

Jun 20, 2018
KENT
wow, what did we do before Google and YouTube….. always used a bit of petrol to clean the chain, but will use WD40 now, got a can in the shed that has been there for some time, only used to do the door hinges ...:cool:

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
In Germany , we have a good product called S100 White from Dr OK Wack. I have found that I can continue to drive "Road" just re-applying a touch after heavy rain or in dry periods about every 3tkm , on a RD07 I was getting chain life of 2 years ( 40tkm ) but I do a Tension adjust twice a year. Interestingly after just 1 tkm at first Service the chain did already Need a little bit more Tension, I believe I may have stretched it a bit :rolleyes: enjoying all the new torque available :)

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
In Germany , we have a good product called S100 White from Dr OK Wack. I have found that I can continue to drive "Road" just re-applying a touch after heavy rain or in dry periods about every 3tkm , on a RD07 I was getting chain life of 2 years ( 40tkm ) but I do a Tension adjust twice a year. Interestingly after just 1 tkm at first Service the chain did already Need a little bit more Tension, I believe I may have stretched it a bit :rolleyes: enjoying all the new torque available :)
I would note the price of this S100 is € 16,99 for 400 ml so it is expensive.
but hope I won't be changing the sprocket and chain for a while on the CRF L

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Well, I'm at 12K and the chain is starting to go, I'm seeing a little more play in the rollers than I'd like. Have a DID 525ZVXMSU... lmnop whatever chain and sprockets on the way.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
I'm not sure if its to do with the longer chain length and looser run, but chain wear does seem to be more pronounced on the AT. I get about 10kkm more out of a chain on the Varadero (i.e. 35kkm +), which is the same chain, but only 120 links (and the Vara is heavier too). The old AT used the same chain as well, and I only got about 25kkm out of a chain on that. I got 30kkm out of my 1st chain on the CRF and I was happy with that.

Or maybe its just off-road riding....

:rolleyes:

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I’ve never seen a chain wear at the rollers, pins yes, but not the rollers. The OE chain must have been better quality than usual, my experience has been that the OE chains usually go in about 6 months, this one lasted two years and 12K miles. Got the new super DID double gold chain in the mail today, it’s real purdy, will post how the heavier chain acts after get some miles on it.

I'm not sure if its to do with the longer chain length and looser run, but chain wear does seem to be more pronounced on the AT. I get about 10kkm more out of a chain on the Varadero (i.e. 35kkm +), which is the same chain, but only 120 links (and the Vara is heavier too). The old AT used the same chain as well, and I only got about 25kkm out of a chain on that. I got 30kkm out of my 1st chain on the CRF and I was happy with that.

Or maybe its just off-road riding....

:rolleyes:

egary1974

Sep 5, 2017
Arkansas
After a muddy ride I go to car wash and clean it up with the wand. I use a brush a day later to clean up the chain and get the abrasive stuff from the dirt out. and then use a chain lube from autozone. This is mainly to prevent rust because it’s humid here. I don’t think it actually needs it because it’s a sealed chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an interesting debate. I religiously cleaned chains on other bikes and lubed them regularly - 25,000 kilometres. For two chains, I did absolutely nothing just wiped off dirt and grime - 25,000 kilometres. I didn't notice a difference. Do I still lube the chain on my AT - yep. Can't help it. ;)
I also use the Motul Offroad Lube and it has been fine. I just don't worry about it much. Whenever seems to be a regular enough interval.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
I went every which way on chains over the years, including chain lube systems. Didn't get any additional life out of chains.

I have noticed that if I don't lube the chain after I've ridden in the rain or offroad, the chain get really noisy.

Now I tend to use 'normal' Castrol chain lube (around $10 a can) for most bikes and offroad riding, and more expensive chain wax (e.g. Bellray or Motul) for road bikes. And I spray every 500km or so, unless conditions require something else (i.e. More often in rainy conditions, or less in sandy conditions)

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Replaced the chain and sprockets today, adjusted the chain by disconnecting the shock linkage and lifting the rear wheel, after it was all put back together the slack was 2.25”. I tell ya, the OE spec is too tight.

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Perhaps :p I just stretch my chain quicker on my CRF than I did before on the XRV.
maybe the 35Nm extra torque is responsible ;)

I hate the premature chain wear ..rattle / cost caused by having wrong slack (mostly too tight after service )
, so to save the frequent chain changes, I use a chain monkey for off road then I just (re)or pre-set at my slack at 2 inch before a tour / and yes if I'm loaded it might be as high as 2.25 , but to hold it all together over rough stuff the Acerbis guard is helpful.

In the winter I set this slack a bit tighter but its still >1.8 inch for my no load commute.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
My experience has been that a good quality chain will not stretch. My OE chain didn't stretch, but then again I didn't run it too tight either, the rollers failed. I'm not saying that the OE chain wasn't a cheap chain, OE chains are typically cheap, mine lasted 12K miles so that's pretty good for OE. I expect that the super sexy gold DID chain will last... I don't want to say forever but I'll be surprised if I ever have to change it again.

Perhaps :p I just stretch my chain quicker on my CRF than I did before on the XRV.
maybe the 35Nm extra torque is responsible ;)

I hate the premature chain wear ..rattle / cost caused by having wrong slack (mostly too tight after service )
, so to save the frequent chain changes, I use a chain monkey for off road then I just (re)or pre-set at my slack at 2 inch before a tour / and yes if I'm loaded it might be as high as 2.25 , but to hold it all together over rough stuff the Acerbis guard is helpful.

In the winter I set this slack a bit tighter but its still >1.8 inch for my no load commute.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu