• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

Chain Maintenance

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Love a good chain debate :D

For me chain "lube" is about rust protection. These chains don't require lubing - they have what they need in the sealed rubbers.

I just keep it clean (WD40 on a cloth not squirted in there) and chuck on whatever "lube", or "wax" or heavy oil I have around (depending on the weather) to keep the rust away. Just keep solvents away from your o-rings and all will be good 👍

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Now you did it... you opened up a whole can of worms... get ready to be told what WD40 is.

Love a good chain debate :D

For me chain "lube" is about rust protection. These chains don't require lubing - they have what they need in the sealed rubbers.

I just keep it clean (WD40 on a cloth not squirted in there) and chuck on whatever "lube", or "wax" or heavy oil I have around (depending on the weather) to keep the rust away. Just keep solvents away from your o-rings and all will be good 👍

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
lol - yeah I know.... grenade thrown!

"WD40 on a cloth not squirted in there" .... that was my get out in case I needed to hide 😂

Saw a video once of a fella who left o-rings in WD40 for a looong time - didn't do any damage to them. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't do its job and wash lube out of them.

I don't know. My take on the whole WD40 debate is just put it on a rag. Cleans perfectly and easily and can't scare the rubbers (if it could) 👍

As for lube - I really don't think it matters. Its only for weather protection these days.

Ducking.

belrix

africatwin.org gold
Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I don't clean my chain, just squirt it with a wax based lube every 500-600 miles.

Another grenade tossed in. :)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
It has been about 30 years since I owned a motorcycle with a chain drive, and I am wondering what you all do as far as daily maintenance. The manual doesn't say much about it.

I lubricate the chain if it looks "dry", or if I have been out in the dirt with it, but how often do you perform a thorough cleaning with kerosene or other cleaner? Do I need to lubricate the chain every time I ride in wet weather?
Yikes!! I see no need to remove this and that just to adjust the chain tension. The AT manual calls for 1-1/4 inch or 31 m/m of slack measured from a location roughly mid-way from the front and rear sprockets. Having said this, the bike must be upright and not on the side stand. I lube my chain rather frequently. Usually just after every ride. I carry a can of spray lube with me on trips. So at the end of the day, I lube my chain always spray from or onto the inside of the chain. If you choose to ride in wet conditions, then you must lube more often. I clean my chain about once a month. I use a spray chain cleaner or diesel fuel and a brush, followed by a spray with a garden hose. Then lube the chain and let set, preferably overnight. Do not use varsol, WD-40, brake parts cleaner for cleaning as these will attack the "O" rings. So, riding conditions, dirt rain along with your speed are the deciding factors as when to clean lube your chain. My 2016 AT has 30,000 KM (19,000 miles and the chain and sprockets are like new. Hope this helps.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
See... I told ya.

lol - yeah I know.... grenade thrown!

"WD40 on a cloth not squirted in there" .... that was my get out in case I needed to hide 😂

Saw a video once of a fella who left o-rings in WD40 for a looong time - didn't do any damage to them. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't do its job and wash lube out of them.

I don't know. My take on the whole WD40 debate is just put it on a rag. Cleans perfectly and easily and can't scare the rubbers (if it could) 👍

As for lube - I really don't think it matters. Its only for weather protection these days.

Ducking.

Aug 16, 2018
UK
he he.. good fun though. 😂

I love hearing opinions different to mine. How else can we change/evolve/validate our own?

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Swapped tires to Heidenau K60's for winter now at 3600 km from new Sept18.

I just checked chain slack in upright position, again it was already over 55mm,
in fact it reaches up to touch the frame without me sitting on the seat.

But I'm not going to reset to AT manual 1-1/4 inch or 31 m/m
in my opinion that factory setting caused it to stretch more.

I will just keep adjusting to 2 inch 50mm as it then does not meet/ interfere
under the swing arm.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu