• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2021!

Chain O rings

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
I have a 2020 DCT non adventure model with approximately 8,000 km or 5,000 miles on it.
Some gravel, mostly highway use.
I clean and lube the chain frequently and after each ride.
I have used diesel fuel and WD-40 to clean the chain, then wipe it with a rag and then lube it with PJ-1 spray lube.
Upon inspection of the chain, I am seeing some rubber O rings that are broken and are separating from the chain. At how many kilometers or miles should this happen?
Anyone else experiencing this???
Thanks in advance
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I have a 2020 DCT non adventure model with approximately 8,000 km or 5,000 miles on it.
I have used diesel fuel and WD-40 to clean the chain, then wipe it with a rag and then lube it with PJ-1 spray lube.
Upon inspection of the chain, I am seeing some rubber O rings that are broken and are separating from the chain. At how many kilometers or miles should this happen?
Thanks in advance
SHUMBA

Probably caused by the solvents.

Dorel_Oprea

Feb 11, 2018
RO
I have 2018 model with 32000 km. Original chain and all O ring is ok ...

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A526B folosind Tapatalk

breynolds63

Dec 11, 2016
Frankfort, IN
I have 20k on my chain. Give it some dupont lube every now and then. Orings are still good. I dont do sand and mud very often. Probably change chain and sprockets soon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Probably caused by the solvents.
I second this, and as a diesel tugboat engineer by trade WD40 should be fine in most applications but diesel while being really good at cleaning things the petroleum distillates and additives in normal modern #1 and #2 diesel to keep it from turning to wax and freezing or gelling is hell on rubber o-rings and causes the rubber to swell an breakdown which is why chain specific cleaners were created and also why alot of diesel engine manufacturers and starting to use Viton and silicone orings instead of Buna-N rubber.if you are looking for a powerful cleaner a kin to brake clean but won't damage orings or plastic you can use electrical parts cleaner or QD contact cleaner . Also as a side note stay clear of wire brushes to clean chains only plastic or nylon brushes as the wire will also cut the rubber

Keep the rubber side down

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
I second this, and as a diesel tugboat engineer by trade WD40 should be fine in most applications but diesel while being really good at cleaning things the petroleum distillates and additives in normal modern #1 and #2 diesel to keep it from turning to wax and freezing or gelling is hell on rubber o-rings and causes the rubber to swell an breakdown which is why chain specific cleaners were created and also why alot of diesel engine manufacturers and starting to use Viton and silicone orings instead of Buna-N rubber.if you are looking for a powerful cleaner a kin to brake clean but won't damage orings or plastic you can use electrical parts cleaner or QD contact cleaner . Also as a side note stay clear of wire brushes to clean chains only plastic or nylon brushes as the wire will also cut the rubber

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me, I'm very grateful to you.
From now on, I'll simply use WD-40 for cleaning, and I have a nylon brush.
Wipe clean, then apply a spray lube.
Many thanks again.
SHUMBA

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me, I'm very grateful to you.
From now on, I'll simply use WD-40 for cleaning, and I have a nylon brush.
Wipe clean, then apply a spray lube.
Many thanks again.
SHUMBA

No problem a light blast of compressed air also can do wonders for getting into the nooks and crannies

Reactions: SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
No problem a light blast of compressed air also can do wonders for getting into the nooks and crannies

Hmmm...good advice, unfortunately don't have compressed air.
SHUMBA

Black99S

Aug 25, 2016
BC, Canada

Compressed air will blow the crap, crud and cleaning solvent past or into the o-rings. The crud then acts as an abrasive and the rings don't last long.

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Compressed air will blow the crap, crud and cleaning solvent past or into the o-rings. The crud then acts as an abrasive and the rings don't last long.
Ahhh see thats why I made a point to say "LIGHT" blast of compressed air, just to get the small stuff and excess wd40 or whatever cleaner off so it doesn't fling everywhere as soon as you start riding

Black99S

Aug 25, 2016
BC, Canada
Thanks in advance
SHUMBA

I just use a Grunge Brush to remove the crap and re-lube. I do use Motorex off-road lube.
Bret Tkacs made a nice video on chain maintenance - he uses diesel -
It is absolutely critical for chain tension to be sufficient. The AT Manual method is too tight. check this post and a few either side of it. https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-...owners-thread.1112644/page-1437#post-42242570
On main stand chain pin centre line 66mm from bottom of swing arm half-way between axle and sprocket.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
It’s really not that tough. If you do feel compelled to clean the chain just use an old toothbrush with some WD40 before you wash the bike, then rinse clean while washing the bike. Ride around the block when finished washing to fling 99% of the water off the chain and to dry the brakes. lube the chain.

Reactions: SHUMBA

OhioAT

Oct 30, 2019
Ohio
I have 18k miles on the OEM chain and have only done a few WD40 wipe downs of outer links and use Dupont chain lube once every tank. I ride lots of dirt and wash the bike every month or so or when it's super muddy. I commute daily also and ride in the rain. Very little maintenance and still doing well at over 17k miles. Don't overthink it.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
It’s really not that tough. If you do feel compelled to clean the chain just use an old toothbrush with some WD40 before you wash the bike, then rinse clean while washing the bike. Ride around the block when finished washing to fling 99% of the water off the chain and to dry the brakes. lube the chain.
Hmmm....compelled to clean the chain.
In my books, keeping the chain clean and lubed is prerequisite.
That is, if you want to have longevity of both chain and sprockets.
SHUMBA

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu