• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2020!

Cold Start Misfire.

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
Yea, mine pretty much is the same. I can’t figure out if it’s doing some kind of self-test during initial startup or if there’s really something wrong with it. I can’t seem to find any consistency, sometimes it does it, sometimes not. It doesn’t seem to have much in the way of an increased idle when cold, maybe the throttle body needs cleaning, maybe it’s the plugs becoming worn, I just don’t know. One thing I have been doing lately when starting cold is to turn the key on and run the throttle to wide open and closed again before thumbing the starter, thinking maybe it might take a MAP reading at that point, I don’t know but the miss/knock seems to have abated a bit. Maybe it’s just pissed that I haven’t taken it off road in a while, maybe I’ll take it out this weekend and flog the hell out of it.
I am also trying to find something consistent about the problems but I can’t. At first I thought it was something getting wet from riding in heavy rain. But that didn’t seem to pan out. Then I thought it was a very lean fuelling problem, that got much worse when I rode in the cold. This made sense to me with problems showing up in Russia and Canada but then you threw that theory out. Not very cold where you are. But the last 2 times I rode it this year was 2 degrees Celsius and ran like garbage. The next day 13 degrees and ran great.

VasiliyDashko

Aug 28, 2019
Russia
Guys, I’ve been awake for half a year because of this problem, I’ve even removed the gas sump tube to the street to avoid getting oil in the air box, it didn’t help !!! spark plugs are all the same! the coils and wires are whole! the booster plug did not help, but only makes it worse !!! I tried different things too! I think that some computer or sensor is not working properly, but then the Mil sensor would have worked. I will send it to the dealer, as I plan a long trip not next year! It helped to remove the negative wire from the battery, so the problem is not mechanical but in electronics, I don’t know, maybe I need to register another idle or warm the engine !? How to deal with these I do not know, my head hurts because of this!

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
Well I appreciate all the information but I am not going to accept this as normal. I spoke to my dealer yesterday. I didn’t think they would be willing to take it on trade while it is broken. They said they would take it on trade as is, it’s still on warranty, they will deal with Honda and fix it. So what to do? Well...🤔, more advanced, more electronics, brand new designed bike has not treated me well at all. So I am going to take what most will call a step down instead of up. A motor that was designed back in 1997 I believe. Proven reliability, in what seems to be an underrated bike. As long as the deal is fair, I will be bringing home a new 2018 V-Strom 1000 xt. I won’t be able to get down there for a few weeks. So I am still really hoping that someone is going to find the solution to the problem cause I would rather keep this thing for another year.

Reactions: superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic

Yep, mine is a 2016. Just hit 50,000 kilometres today on the commute home.
I could be completely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time :)
Today it was a short stumble, ran fine, got moving and a bit of a stumble like there was too much fuel - felt flooded. A block later it was just fine for a 20 kilometre ride. So really I'm not sure either.
I didn't mean to make light of it. Mine has never gotten worse and seems to be infrequent - usually on cold days though. It really feels like a fuelling issue on my bike or the electronics trying to find a fuel/air balance. My Varadero did a similar thing on cold days - it would miss, did stall a few times, or would run irregularly for a short time (1 kilometre) but then it would correct itself.
Your issue seems more pronounced. I'd be calling the dealer and mother Honda for a look to make sure, particularly if it's still under warranty. I have two years left on my warranty if things progress and get worse I'll be doing the same thing. 👍

I believe you and superfunkomatic both have 2016 models and are having the same problem but not until the bike is older with more miles. My bike went from the missfire and clunk in the bottom end to being completely unrideable. It backfires out the intake and stallls through intersections. I dont think those symptoms are new problems, I believe it is a progression of the original problem. So when superfunkomatic says hes not concerned, its not a deal breaker, I think hes wrong.?

superfunkomatic

This is a long shot guess but...
Have you got your bike plugged into a battery tender when it sits?
That knock almost sounds like the bike is not getting enough power to fire up, so it knocks.
Have you checked the voltage at the battery with a voltmeter?
The reason I'm guessing this is between two AT forums a few owners are talking about dead or low batteries even on new bikes. Couldn't be something as simple as a battery not fully putting out the amps to kick the motor over could it?

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
That knock almost sounds like the bike is not getting enough power to fire up, so it knocks.
The reason I'm guessing this is between two AT forums a few owners are talking about dead or low batteries even on new bikes. Couldn't be something as simple as a battery not fully putting out the amps to kick the motor over could it?
[/
The knock is happening when it’s already running. If you listen carefully on the video it misfires and then knocks in the bottom end. It shows the best at about 9 seconds left in the video. I would be much less concerned if I had a longer warranty. Unfortunately my logic is even if they fix the bike I won’t be sure until I’ve ridden it for a few weeks. I probably won’t get a few weeks on the fixed bike before warranty is gone along with my confidence in my Honda.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Interesting thought.

VasiliyDashko

Aug 28, 2019
Russia
[QUOTE = "superfunkomatic, сообщение: 12736, участник: 306"]
Это длинная догадка, но ...
У вас есть велосипед, подключенный к аккумуляторной батарее, когда он сидит?
Этот мотоцикл звучит так, будто мотоцикл не получает достаточной мощности, чтобы его запустить.
Вы проверяли напряжение на батарее с помощью вольтметра?
Я думаю, что между двумя владельцами говорят о разряженных или разряженных батареях даже на новых мотоциклах. Это может быть не только усилитель, чтобы отключить мотор, не так ли?
[/ QUOTE]

Все началось с 1200 км., После первой замены масла и фильтра я использовал мотоцикл каждый день с мая по август, генератор должен пополнять аккумулятор, это может показаться странным из-за аккумулятора, но запускается легко !!! При езде под дождем поначалу проблем не было, но когда эти проблемы возникали при ударах и сбоях двигателя, возникали проблемы при движении на малой скорости под дождем, двигатель часто выключался и запускался в воздушную коробку! !!

VasiliyDashko

Aug 28, 2019
Russia
[QUOTE = "superfunkomatic, сообщение: 12736, участник: 306"]
Это длинная догадка, но ...
У вас есть велосипед подключен к аккумуляторной батареи, когда он сидит?
Этот стук звучит так, будто мотоцикл не получает достаточной мощности, чтобы его запустить, поэтому он стучит.
Вы проверяли напряжение на батарее с помощью вольтметра?
Я предполагаю, что причина в том, что между двумя форумами AT несколько владельцев говорят о разряженных или разряженных батареях даже на новых мотоциклах. Не может ли быть что-то столь же простое, как батарея, которая не полностью выдает усилители, чтобы пнуть мотор, не так ли?
[/ QUOTE]
Теперь проверю аккумулятор с помощью вольтметра!

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
It would be interesting to hang a battery charger on the bike and start it to see if the additional voltage from the charger clears the misfire. Even though I’ve recently replaced my battery I have had a couple instances of starter stall during cranking. I might give this a try over t he weekend.

Reactions: superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic

The voltage is low then goes up once the bike is running in your video. From 13 to 14 volts.
It could be a fuel choke that is electronically controlled by the ECU - I don't know enough about how the bike starts.
The voltage in your video seems to jump when the clicks occur.

Or maybe the starter motor not disengaging properly.

Ребята, я записал видео с измерениями мультиметром !!! Посмотрите пожалуйста! Как вы думаете, это может быть дросселем?

https : // youtu . be / b69hZqSsfUg

VasiliyDashko

Aug 28, 2019
Russia
probably you really need to try turning on the engine with a starter! Although you know the starter turns fast and well!

Thank you for your assumptions !!! When I held the voltmeter while measuring, it seemed that the sound was from the throttle or it seems!?!? maybe a starter !? Thanks for any tips !! yes injection and electronic damper, without cable!

MarksMCParts

Supporting Vender
Coming to this discussion a bit late, so forgive me if I'm repeating views that have already been aired....
The voltmeter video looks perfectly normal to me. 13 V at rest, dropping to 12 when cranking then going up to 14 when the engine fires and the alternator starts putting out some power.
Misfiring issues can only be a consequence of an electrical or fueling problems. Its always a good idea to get back to standard, so remove any booster plugs, and if your bike is getting close to the service interval give it a full service so that everything is in tip top condition. Fit new spark plugs, either to Honda's spec or an equivalent platinum or iridium version. check that all electrical connectors that have been apart have nice clean shiny contacts - any signs of corrosion on the pins inside a connector is a sure sign of a problem.
I see comments above about the airbox drains. Draining any condensate is a good idea, but do not run the engine with them disconnected as that would allow unfiltered air into the engine causing a lean mixture and possibly a misfire.
The AT battery is a bit small and unless its kept on a charger, won't stand for more than a week without losing charge, so this is a potential cause of failure to start but once running, the alternator should take over and the voltage should recover to 14V.
Cheers for now, Mark.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu