CRF1100 DCT Stalls

raxford

Jan 24, 2021
Hi, I have seen this issue posted before on different forums for 2018 models and would like to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue with the 2020 Standard model and If there are any known fixes. Bike is stalling off the lights in both normal Drive and S1, S2 and S3. Not consistently but often enough to cause concern. TIA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
I've got a 2020 DCT model non adventure. I haven't experienced any stalling. If you see your Honda dealership hopefully they can find what's wrong with it.
Needless to say, stalling in a turn will lead to a fall.
Sorry I am unable to help.
Please let us know the outcome.
Thanks
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Reactions: raxford

raxford

Jan 24, 2021
I've got a 2020 DCT model non adventure. I haven't experienced any stalling. If you see your Honda dealership hopefully they can find what's wrong with it.
Needless to say, stalling in a turn will lead to a fall.
Sorry I am unable to help.
Please let us know the outcome.
Thanks
SHUMBA

Thanks for the reply. Bike is fine once it gets going. Only stalls when moving from a stand still (such as traffic lights) I'll contact the dealer but interested to see if anyone else has the same problem.

Reactions: SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Thanks for the reply. Bike is fine once it gets going. Only stalls when moving from a stand still (such as traffic lights) I'll contact the dealer but interested to see if anyone else has the same problem.
Please let us know what you find out.
Stalling and potentially dropping the bike in traffic can lead to an injury.
Sincerely hope you get this sorted out soon.
SHUMBA

About the only thing I can think of is,
Bad gas, water in the gas...??
SHUMBA

CrispyKevin

Jul 25, 2021
Germany - Croatia
Have You maybe got the hi octane fuel? Normally I get super 95, but one time i tried with super 100, and the AT stalled. I read about that on forums, but still wanted to try. Use always 95. No E10, No super 100.

EDIT: I too have CRF1100 DCT 2020

Reactions: raxford

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
The compression ratio of the Africa Twin 1100 is 10.1:1.
Premium gas is a waste of money .
Honda recommends regular gas.
No E-85 though.
I'm not sure if Premium gas will make it run any better or enhance the performance.
Regular gas in Canada has approximately 10% ethanol added.
Sadly, ethanol has less BTU's, read less energy = shorter distances on a tank of gas.
If it's range you are looking for, then ride at 85 kph or approximately 55 MPH.
Would appreciate additional input here just to ensure that I'm not full of **** .
SHUMBA

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
So, someone correct me if I am wrong, but the higher the octane the SLOWER the fuel burn to stop pre-detonation that can easily occur in high compression engines. The lower the octane that you can run the more efficient. I have run high octane in mine with lower mpg results, so only run regular unless ETOH-free is available. On my Wing on a trip to Deadwood, SD a couple years ago I was able to get ETOH-free 85 octane regular in Wyoming, and got the best fuel mileage and performance ever. But then, I was over 5,000' for hundreds of miles so the lower octane made sense with the lower oxygen content in the intake.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Well, some of what you say is correct.
Lower octane gas burns faster, hence is often the cause of "detonation".
Higher octane gas burns slower.
Whatever it recommends in your bikes manual is the gas to use. Compression ratio is the determining factor when choosing/using premium gas. A ratio of 11.0:1 will very likely demand premium gas...what does your manual say??
Ethanol in gas is definitely a bug-bear with me as mentioned earlier in my previous rant. Ethanol contains less BTU's than pure gas, therefore less "bang for your buck".
I'm in Ontario Canada and regular gas is approximately $1.40 / litre.
Premium gas or 91 octane is approximately $1.60 / litre.
So for the benefit of our friends south of the border.
Multiply the difference of 20 cents / litre times 3.78 = about 75 cents a gallon more!!!
We Canadians are getting screwed at the gas pumps!!
SHUMBA

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
You have all of those Alberta oil sands up there so I should think that your fuel would be less than ours. Locally $3.39/ gal for unleaded 87 with 10% ETOH and about a margin of $0.75/gal for 92 premium with ETOH. Quite a few stations around have 92 premium with no ETOH for and additional margin of $1+/-.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
It's all taxes....as we have a bloated government...however we will get our chance to vote on September 20th I believe...I'm hoping for a change in government....Canada’s tax rates are totally out of control.
SHUMBA

raxford

Jan 24, 2021
Have You maybe got the hi octane fuel? Normally I get super 95, but one time i tried with super 100, and the AT stalled. I read about that on forums, but still wanted to try. Use always 95. No E10, No super 100.

EDIT: I too have CRF1100 DCT 2020
Yeah, like some of the other comments indicate, I had read that there is little benefit to running with anything more than standard so I have always used that (87) and I believe thats what the manual recommends. i'm going to try a clutch reinitialization too as its only done 2500 miles and I hear that can smooth things out

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Well please let us know how things work out.
Not sure what a clutch reintialzation means
What year is your Africa Twin and is it a manual or a DCT model??
SHUMBA

raxford

Jan 24, 2021
Well please let us know how things work out.
Not sure what a clutch reintialzation means
What year is your Africa Twin and is it a manual or a DCT model??
SHUMBA

its a DCT 2020. i was referring to the DCT reset. the shop manual calls it CLUTCH INITIALIZE LEARNING (TCM). i'll update whether it had any effect after i've tried it.

raxford

Jan 24, 2021
Please let me know how You did it, I found just one tutorial online, and it is not for 2020 model.
ok, i may have spoke too soon. The instruction in the manual are very similar to the ones that were out there for previous models but on closer inspection. it looks like on the 2020 model you cannot just force a reset like previously. the mode to start clutch initialize learning seems only to begin after the TCM or clutch assembly has been replaced. I have copied and saved the section to a PDF and attached. have a look and see.

Attachments

• clutch initialize learning.pdf
    988.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: SHUMBA

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu