CRF1100 snatchy throttle

Cornhilldo

May 2, 2016
Northumberland, uk
The new bike is a big improvement in my opinion..... bar one thing.
The new ride by wire throttle response is overly snatching rolling on and off, especially at lower revs. I've tried altering engine braking and power settings, and the only thing that reduces it is reducing power and EB. I dont want reduced power.
Its an irritation more than annoying but surprised this is how honda intended it

veloccity

May 3, 2022
USA
Custom or aftermarket ECU - can adjust this with a piggy back system.

But something to note is that the power doesnt actually drop as much or maybe in the way you might think. In any power mode, at 100% WOT, you are getting about 100% power. What changes is the amount of power related to throttle as you move through the power modes.

Cornhilldo

May 2, 2016
Northumberland, uk
Custom or aftermarket ECU - can adjust this with a piggy back system.

But something to note is that the power doesnt actually drop as much or maybe in the way you might think. In any power mode, at 100% WOT, you are getting about 100% power. What changes is the amount of power related to throttle as you move through the power modes.
Yes you're right. Now I've had it a few weeks more used to the dash and settings, ive been playing around with the power and engine breaking.... setting power to 3 rather than 1 really smooths it out. Much better

JSWeaver

Oct 14, 2021
Republic of Texas
I just posted a rant about DBW throttle on AfricaTwinForum.com for the same situation with my 2019 MT bike. From the recommendation above I'm going to experiment with various ride mode settings and see if anything changes.

Regarding the piggyback ECU system - which system(s) on the market improve this?

Cornhilldo

May 2, 2016
Northumberland, uk
I just posted a rant about DBW throttle on AfricaTwinForum.com for the same situation with my 2019 MT bike. From the recommendation above I'm going to experiment with various ride mode settings and see if anything changes.

Regarding the piggyback ECU system - which system(s) on the market improve this?
To get the best out of the AT on twisty backroads you have to flick between modes.... either tour & urban..... or as I do, user 1 & user 2. 1 full power (snatchy), and user 2 on power level 3 for slow twisty or town riding.
I dont get how Honda couldn't programme the ecu to respond more smoothly from off to on... bizarre

SSN613

Jan 14, 2022
Florida, USA
My 2021 AT DCT in tour & urban mode (I haven't tested others), has a really snatchy take off that causes scary moments in parking lots and group riding. I'll try that user2 and set PL3 (if I can figure it out :)).

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu