DENVER CO MAY 5TH RIDE.

LeRoi

Apr 19, 2019
Denver,Co.
This is a mixed bag ride, tarmac and gravel. encompassing nearly 250 miles of paved road and mixed graded gravel and easy 4 wheel drive roads.
From Denver, to Bailey via 285 and south on Wellington lake road (105 rd) to Goose Creek road (211 rd), to 77 rd to hwy 24 to Florrisant, south on 1 to Cripple Creek (start of the Gold Belt tour) on Shelf road and Fourmile to Canon city, up Phantom Canyon (my personal fave) to Victor, then Gold camp road to Colorado Springs. yep, it's long, but easy.
Now, from here you can zip up I-25 to Denver, or you can do Rampart range to Mt Herman road (more gravel) and 105 up to 85 and then Denver.
Pretty much all day, BUT! there are several 'jump off' points to return to Denver/ front range along the way, all easy paved roads to return you to your dull life. JK!!!
Great scenery, several stops for fuel for both man (or woman) and machine along the way.
The gravel can be challenging, depending on when the County(ies) may have or have not graded, and rain and traffic.
I've seen it very easy, and I've seen it difficult due to heavy rains and run off causing wash outs and washing gravel into piles and drifts.
We even had to fill in a huge rut with boulders and pine limbs once on Mt Herman, because we were determined to NOT turn back, hey, we're 'adventure' riders, right?
I logged 330 miles on that one, riding back to check on our Tail End Charlies and keep the riders flowing.
This is what dual Sport at the easy end is like, so hopefully some of you will sign up. Unless I'm it in Denver!!! :(

LeRoi

Apr 19, 2019
Denver,Co.
OUCH!!
Ok, my butt hurts, 310 miles in 7 hours, about half that was very loose gravel roads.
The seat is NOT comfortable after about 5 hours, not sure how I'll rectify that.
The AT handles very well, despite the crappy Dunlop TrailMax tires. Dunlop should rename those things 'TrailMin, for MINIMUM use on trails.
They gotta go, and soon.
The DCT did superbly on these roads, once I found my settings. I did "Sport" mode, "G" button on and lower setting of the "Torque" specs.
This allowed me to concentrate on my lines, and not having to upshift nor downshift with my foot while standing was just fantastic, I LOVE the handle mounted "paddle" shifter.
The lower center of gravity compared to my old KLR was wonderful, I found myself doing higher speeds than the KLR despite those damn tires.
And the suspension was great, much smoother ride.
The factory grips suck, too small diameter and little 'cushion', They gotta go too.
The day was good, and though I did get rain and sleet at altitude, it was a good ride, especially for a 'shakedown' on a new bike.

ToontownTim

May 5, 2019
Saskatchewan
No idea what that sign says but nice pics. The colour of you bike is really nice. That trip is my idea of good time. I see some people using their AT like a motocross bike, I have no interest in that. But getting off the pavement and taking the road less traveled is why I have my bike.

Reactions: LeRoi

GrrrlX

Nov 26, 2017
Denver
This is a mixed bag ride, tarmac and gravel. encompassing nearly 250 miles of paved road and mixed graded gravel and easy 4 wheel drive roads.
From Denver, to Bailey via 285 and south on Wellington lake road (105 rd) to Goose Creek road (211 rd), to 77 rd to hwy 24 to Florrisant, south on 1 to Cripple Creek (start of the Gold Belt tour) on Shelf road and Fourmile to Canon city, up Phantom Canyon (my personal fave) to Victor, then Gold camp road to Colorado Springs. yep, it's long, but easy.
Now, from here you can zip up I-25 to Denver, or you can do Rampart range to Mt Herman road (more gravel) and 105 up to 85 and then Denver.
Pretty much all day, BUT! there are several 'jump off' points to return to Denver/ front range along the way, all easy paved roads to return you to your dull life. JK!!!
Great scenery, several stops for fuel for both man (or woman) and machine along the way.
The gravel can be challenging, depending on when the County(ies) may have or have not graded, and rain and traffic.
I've seen it very easy, and I've seen it difficult due to heavy rains and run off causing wash outs and washing gravel into piles and drifts.
We even had to fill in a huge rut with boulders and pine limbs once on Mt Herman, because we were determined to NOT turn back, hey, we're 'adventure' riders, right?
I logged 330 miles on that one, riding back to check on our Tail End Charlies and keep the riders flowing.
This is what dual Sport at the easy end is like, so hopefully some of you will sign up. Unless I'm it in Denver!!! :(
My Husband (Cuchuhulain) and I may need to ride with you next time - that is in our 'hood! 1993
You and I are also bike twins!

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu