Did I Mess Up?

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I was installing a set of sprockets (16T and 44T), along with a new DID chain, and noticed the chain seemed long, almost into the red marks on the side plates. After inspecting the box I noticed it was labeled 126, not 124! I compared it with the old and sure enough, it was 2 links longer, so I removed the 2 extra links. But now withthe chain installed and the slack properly set the mark on the side plate is in front of the green mark!!!

Then it dawned on me...the new rear sprocket is 44T, ie bigger in diameter. that must be why Sprocket Center sent a 126 links chain.

Went for a very short test ride and everything seemed fine.

So did I mess up? I have a weekend ride in the Ozarks planned for this weekend, should I worry about the chain?

Thanks and hopefully I am making something out of nothing.

Brian

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Those marks aren't super accurate measuring devices, more of indicators of how far its worn/stretched with the stock setup installed. Just take careful note or mark of where it lands on the indicators now with the brand new setup installed then use the length of the green zone from that point back as your new wear indicators offset from the new mark and you'll be fine

Keep the rubber side down

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Thank you for calming my fears!

I'll make a couple of fine scratches on the swingarm to measure the stretch in the AM

Thanks again!

Brian

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu