• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2020!

Dual USB Charger with Voltage Display Install

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I installed a dual USB charger in the OEM accessory socket and wired it to an Eastern Beaver PC-8 power distribution module.

I used the directions for the 12V Accessory socket for guidance on removing the Tupperware from the AT.

Start by removing the left fuel tank side cover and the left front fairing. Tip, it is not required to remove the entire front spoiler, just the left bottom rivet. Plus no need to remove the windscreen.

Remove the bolts and rivets holding on the left turn signal, this will allow easy access to the 12V accessory socket location.

Couple shots showing wire routing from socket to the tank. Single red wire used for clarity in pictures.

I used 16AWG wire for the positive and negative connections, encasing them in shrink wrap for protection. Tip, don't install the spade connectors before running the wire! :)

Remove the left hand rivet on the tank cross piece and prop out of the way to allow easier wire routing into seat cavity.

Run wire up along top of tank and through turn signal mount. (Sorry not pic, but it is easy to see where to run the wires)

Install dual USB socket and secure with nut, connect spade connectors.

Connect wires to PC-8. Tip, but sure when measuring for length to give yourself some extra wire, I cut a little too short and the wiring to the PC-8 isn't as neat as it could be.

Picture of dual USB socket with weather cap closed.

Ignition on, bike not running. Note voltage is visible through weather cap.

Voltage display with bike running. Will be nice to be able to check voltage after adding auxiliary lights and heated gear.

Success!

Re-mount the left turn signal, (cuss and throws thing if you completely removed front spoiler and are trying to re-install it), reattach the front fairing taking special care to get the tab under the headlight in the socket, the left fuel tank side cover, attach cover to PC-8 and reinstall the seat.

Congrats! You now can charge your phone while riding!

(need to insert picture of phone in holder being charger from USB socket)

Thanks for looking and let me know if you have any questions.

brian

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
Excellent tip! This is fantastic and useful.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Nice! how waterproof would you say the cap is? I went with this one, because sometimes I ride all day in the rain. It isn’t as slick, but the cap is fairly substantial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I haven't ridden in heavy rain with the socket installed yet, but it should be pretty watertight based on the location on the dash and the fact that there are tabs that fit into the USB slots.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I haven't ridden in heavy rain with the socket installed yet, but it should be pretty watertight based on the location on the dash and the fact that there are tabs that fit into the USB slots.
Good point. You would hope so. I do like the voltage read out, but the waterproof was a priority. Been on a few trips where torrential downpours all day where the norm :)

I will be interested to hear long term feedback and how you feel it is holding up after some weather. Let us know! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa
I installed a dual USB charger in the OEM accessory socket and wired it to an Eastern Beaver PC-8 power distribution module.

I used the directions for the 12V Accessory socket for guidance on removing the Tupperware from the AT.

Start by removing the left fuel tank side cover and the left front fairing. Tip, it is not required to remove the entire front spoiler, just the left bottom rivet. Plus no need to remove the windscreen.

Remove the bolts and rivets holding on the left turn signal, this will allow easy access to the 12V accessory socket location.

Couple shots showing wire routing from socket to the tank. Single red wire used for clarity in pictures.

I used 16AWG wire for the positive and negative connections, encasing them in shrink wrap for protection. Tip, don't install the spade connectors before running the wire! :)

Remove the left hand rivet on the tank cross piece and prop out of the way to allow easier wire routing into seat cavity.

Run wire up along top of tank and through turn signal mount. (Sorry not pic, but it is easy to see where to run the wires)

Install dual USB socket and secure with nut, connect spade connectors.

Connect wires to PC-8. Tip, but sure when measuring for length to give yourself some extra wire, I cut a little too short and the wiring to the PC-8 isn't as neat as it could be.

Picture of dual USB socket with weather cap closed.

Ignition on, bike not running. Note voltage is visible through weather cap.

Voltage display with bike running. Will be nice to be able to check voltage after adding auxiliary lights and heated gear.

Success!

Re-mount the left turn signal, (cuss and throws thing if you completely removed front spoiler and are trying to re-install it), reattach the front fairing taking special care to get the tab under the headlight in the socket, the left fuel tank side cover, attach cover to PC-8 and reinstall the seat.

Congrats! You now can charge your phone while riding!

(need to insert picture of phone in holder being charger from USB socket)

Thanks for looking and let me know if you have any questions.

brian
I saw this and found a similar, more recent, dual USB socket with volt meter and ran it to the accessory power behind the dash with and Eastern Beaver power splitter.
Works like a charm!

Reactions: belrix

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa
Nice, Quick charge!
It's a pretty sweet set up.

And the anodized red nicely with the Rally color scheme. Gotta keep it pretty for a little while 'cause it's gonna get ugly before too long.

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
Hey, nice option. Does anyone know what is meant by upgrade? The one first mentioned is no longer available thru amazon but this on is! other than the metal case what was changed. Also I am wondering why not just wire this USB to the left running light which will be switched and protected by body light circuit? Seems 1 to 2 amps would be tolerable or hardly noticed. I have a 2 prong power connector @ battery for a more amps if needed for charging, or plugging air pump or the like. Any comment of knowledge may save a life...

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Vantucky, Wa
Hey, nice option. Does anyone know what is meant by upgrade? The one first mentioned is no longer available thru amazon but this on is! other than the metal case what was changed. Also I am wondering why not just wire this USB to the left running light which will be switched and protected by body light circuit? Seems 1 to 2 amps would be tolerable or hardly noticed. I have a 2 prong power connector @ battery for a more amps if needed for charging, or plugging air pump or the like. Any comment of knowledge may save a life...
Howdy,
This one is just a newer version, specific changes I don't know. I'm sure you could wire it there, I chose to go to the open accessory plug buried in the dash to have it on it's own circuit. My main reasoning is I do a lot of long distance solo riding in the deep sticks and want to keep electrical as simple and robust as possible, don't want an issue with one system possible effecting another and cascading from there. I may be overthinking it, but it was there and I got to learn more about how it's all put together by going through the process.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu