First Full Tank Head Scratcher

drawblood

Jun 11, 2021
OR, USA
Very interesting first tank. I took delivery last week with a full tank (as indicated by the digital gas gauge). I'm at 2.7 consumption and 150 miles on the tank. I have one bar left and the gas light is on. Per the computer I'm getting 48.5 MPG. Something doesn't add up!! Maybe the dealer didn't fill the tank or the gas gauge is broken?

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Fill 'er up yourself, and reset the mileage or kilometers on the screen...easy do...select screen one and press and hold the ENT button, left handlebar, then reset screen two the same way.
Fuel level should indicate full.
Ride for say, 100 miles or 100 kms and refill....this will give you an accurate fuel consumption
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
When mine is on the last bar I still have a half tank, fuel light on and last bar blinking i have less than a gallon.

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
ALL motorcycle tanks are apparently shaped like funnels: smaller at the bottom than the top. So the fuel gauges all lie. I fill at one bar because gas stations are too far apart. Sometimes I get 180 miles, sometimes I get 130. I average 42mpg (US) if I stay off the freeway.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Agree, it has to do with the shape of the tank....I have a 2020 Africa Twin DCT model, non adventure.
The fuel burn varies considerably.
I'm in Canada and we are metric for the purposes of liquids (gasoline) and distances (kilometers)
So, if you have a look at the TFT display you can see what quantity of fuel HAS BEEN consumed.
For example, I fill up the gas tank, I travel 160 kilometers (100 miles) I can, at a glance see how many (in my case) litres of gas have been consumed.
(approximately 8 litres).
If I conduct this same "experiment" with high speed expressway riding along with, say a headwind, then, look out, as the fuel burn increases substantially higher to as high as 10-12 litres...
My previous bike, Yamaha Super Tenere 1200...I ran out of gas (24 litres) at only 413 kilometers and it was due to mostly expressway at rather high speeds.
Another feature of the TFT page 3, one can see the actual fuel flow in real time.
Air density plays a big part as well...cold weather temperatures influence fuel burn.
SHUMBA

JoToPe

Sep 3, 2019
Dripping Springs
When I get to 185 miles (highway miles), I start looking for a gas station, and cut speed back to 55-60 mph. At 210-ish, I’m walking. Fully loaded plus me and bike is hauling 310 lbs. Now I thought “I can do better than that”, so new air filters and a booster plug were installed last month and mileage has improved a bit, now I estimate 240 miles max on a full tank. 2016 AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drawblood

Jun 11, 2021
OR, USA
Been through three tanks now and the computer has kind of caught up. The consumption is roughly a 1/4 gallon short from actually fill. Filled 4.45 gallons and the computer said I consumed 4.2 gallons.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
OK not too bad.
These digital readouts are reasonably accurate, but not "gospel".
Again it's how fast you ride..
SHUMBA

drawblood

Jun 11, 2021
OR, USA
5 tanks in and the computer consumption is .1 (gallons) off from actual. Not bad! I guess it takes that long to calibrate itself :)
I spoke with my local Honda service tech. He said the best thing to do is reset trip A and B (tab 1 and 2) before riding it upon delivery. The first several tanks will be more accurate. The factory is supposed to reset before shipping, but it doesn't happen every time.

Reactions: SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
5 tanks in and the computer consumption is .1 (gallons) off from actual. Not bad! I guess it takes that long to calibrate itself :)
I spoke with my local Honda service tech. He said the best thing to do is reset trip A and B (tab 1 and 2) before riding it upon delivery. The first several tanks will be more accurate. The factory is supposed to reset before shipping, but it doesn't happen every time.
I reset my trip meters after every fill.
Additionally, I reset my GPS. This clears the GPS of distance travelled, AND maximum speed reached, this I find rather frightening.
I've got a 2020 Africa Twin DCT model non adventure. So, what's your maximum top speed for your bike.
Do you have the 998 cc or the 1,084 cc?? Typically the speedometer on all motorcycles lie, and at higher speeds they read approximately 8 to 10 % high.
How do I know, the GPS tells me so.
SHUMBA

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
You think bike fuel indicators are bad, aircraft are notoriously bad. You always "stick" the tank before firing up so you know what you are starting with. That being said, I routinely get 50 MPG on my bike.

superfunkomatic

Went right down to almost empty on a short journey at the beginning of the week.
First notice and warning with 3.3 litres left.
Goes right down to 1 litre then it goes to a display of ' -- '.
The tank holds 18.8 liters and with a fill-up I added 16.8. So I likely had about 20 or so kilometres left in the absolute 'red zone' before pushing.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Bottom line
Just fillerup when the fuel level gets low, cause y'all ain't strong enough to push er up a hill.
If you’re hurtin for gas/distance.. Just reduce your speed.. cause the difference in gas consumption is paramount at high speeds compared to low speeds.
My 2020 Africa Twin DCT non adventure model with an 18 litre tank is good for 300 kilometers at high speeds or 400 kilometers at lower speeds.
Make a plan with careful calculations, or just pack a bucket of gas
SHUMBA

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu