• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

Fork rebuild vid and fork tear down write up

Dec 31, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
Man... this is awesome. Keep it up and would love to see more.

Jimmy

Dec 21, 2017
United Kingdom
Hi Greg very informative post. I own a 2016 AT. For the last 3-4 months I have noticed a deterioration in the performance of the forks to a point were the bike is pretty scary to ride at high speed on less than a perfectly smooth road surface as imperfections on the road transmit through the handle bars. The bike has been back to the dealer and on inspection examining the internal surface of the anodised fork stanchions clearly shows patches of wear. The gold coating has completely worn away exposing the fork aluminium beneath. A report was sent to Honda EU but to my disbelief they responded by saying they have no knowledge of this problem this is the first time this issue has arisen. Very difficult to believe when the internet and AT forums is rife with this problem. Honda’s response is “From the information that has been provided to our offices, it is not felt that there is a manufacturing fault with the motorcycle and the dealer has been advised to reassemble your motorcycle advising new oil and seal kit will improve things”. I have been charged £290 for this and to top it all the bike still rides like Sh _ _.

Does the 2018 AT have Kashima coating? You can see its a completely different coating to the 16/17 AT’s

Dec 31, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
Hi Greg very informative post. I own a 2016 AT. For the last 3-4 months I have noticed a deterioration in the performance of the forks to a point were the bike is pretty scary to ride at high speed on less than a perfectly smooth road surface as imperfections on the road transmit through the handle bars. The bike has been back to the dealer and on inspection examining the internal surface of the anodised fork stanchions clearly shows patches of wear. The gold coating has completely worn away exposing the fork aluminium beneath. A report was sent to Honda EU but to my disbelief they responded by saying they have no knowledge of this problem this is the first time this issue has arisen. Very difficult to believe when the internet and AT forums is rife with this problem. Honda’s response is “From the information that has been provided to our offices, it is not felt that there is a manufacturing fault with the motorcycle and the dealer has been advised to reassemble your motorcycle advising new oil and seal kit will improve things”. I have been charged £290 for this and to top it all the bike still rides like Sh _ _.

Does the 2018 AT have Kashima coating? You can see its a completely different coating to the 16/17 AT’s
hi Jimmy,
pretty sure I replied to your post on ADVR, if not here's my blurb:
-2018 have new part numbers and coating, both Kashima. Apparently the ATAS tubes are stronger, and will result in less flex. additionally the bushing sits higher up in the outer, which is an improved design over 2016/17. Sadly the regular 2018 forks still have the shitty placement of bushing
-The bushing themselves, specifically the bush guide (one that sits on inner fork) is too small, requiring a .05mm shim, or sometimes several shims behind the bushing. This slop adds to the wear, flex, and binding
-The new dust and oil seals will do nothing to improve the ride, and the fork inner, and bushing basically get hung up on compression, and back on rebound on the part of the fork that is worn. That's basically what I noticed on my OEM fork
-Honda is feeding you a bullshit story. It basically comes down to them being threatened with a lawsuit, or having proof that the poor ride or god forbid an accident was caused by the **** fork coating. They will deny it and not go to bat for the customers.
-Honda Australia has used the line of "they looked at it, determined its regular wear and tear. No problems here..nope..get lost mr.customer"
-Warranty claims are rare in NA. Myself and my buddy got the ok from the dealer. But we have a sympathetic ear when it comes to the service person
-Several AT owners have simply had the forks re coated at their cost, and are having good results.
-To my knowledge, no one has reported wear on 2018 forks, regular or ATAS

I'll document all of the above in my re-assembly video, and explain all of the issues as I see it. If you head over to ADVR, there's lots of smart dudes talking about all of the above.
my post covers the bulk of the issues, but the video is damn handy too
https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2018/10/06/2017-honda-crf-1000-africa-twin-fork-inspection/

egary1974

Sep 5, 2017
Arkansas
that is some dirty fork oil! I'm not looking forward to the day I have to do this. I hope honda does a recall soon. good insight on change one suspension tube out at a time and keeping the front wheel in alignment etc.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I’m thinking that the fork oil should be changed every 5K miles.

that is some dirty fork oil! I'm not looking forward to the day I have to do this. I hope honda does a recall soon. good insight on change one suspension tube out at a time and keeping the front wheel in alignment etc.

Dec 31, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
the one tube at a time is just to keep the strain off the brake lines. you will need to re-align your right fork once your axle is tigtened.
Fat chance on the recall. It's on a case by case basis. Europe and Australia they are simply turning a blind eye to it. in NA there has been some success to those that bring their forks in and complain

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
I just had contaminated bushings (and oil, of course) changed at 7300 miles, which fixed my sticky fork. No visible wear in the tubes. One long trip and a season of road riding. I hate to think of pulling down the front end once a year to change the oil.

egary1974

Sep 5, 2017
Arkansas
I'm wondering if I should pull my forks apart this winter and have them coated with whatever coating was put on the 2018 components to elimate wear. If I can do this for a few hundred dollars I will. Does anyone have any experience with that? I was planning on keeping this bike which I love for 5-7 seven years if I don't rough it up in my recreational riding too much that is. I also got it in the spring of 2017 so I was considering changing the battery out this winter so I don't get stuck somewhere with a dead one. I'm hearing battery life is about 2 years for some people.

Dec 31, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
I just had contaminated bushings (and oil, of course) changed at 7300 miles, which fixed my sticky fork. No visible wear in the tubes. One long trip and a season of road riding. I hate to think of pulling down the front end once a year to change the oil.
Depends on how much and where you ride. My cut off is roughly one season and 12-15k km. It's oil, and it gets dirty, and loses it's effectiveness.
It's not that big of a job really.

Dec 31, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
I'm wondering if I should pull my forks apart this winter and have them coated with whatever coating was put on the 2018 components to elimate wear. If I can do this for a few hundred dollars I will. Does anyone have any experience with that? I was planning on keeping this bike which I love for 5-7 seven years if I don't rough it up in my recreational riding too much that is. I also got it in the spring of 2017 so I was considering changing the battery out this winter so I don't get stuck somewhere with a dead one. I'm hearing battery life is about 2 years for some people.
Again, how much and where do you ride. Cogent does the coating in the US. Kashima coating is specific to Japan.
The same battery that was in my XT12 lasted 5 yrs, and was 95% strong when I traded the bike. Keep it on a tender, and go. It's a Yuasa x12 or something like that.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu