• Hi riders and readers, We just upgraded and updated some code to make things run a bit better on the site. Please let us know if you find any technical glitches or issues. Thank you again! africatwin.org staff

Forkshield

Corki

Jul 26, 2017
Southeast England
I know this has been discussed many times on AT forums but wanted to post my experience with the forkshield. Being very sceptical when it comes to nicety or necessity I didn't think it would (for me) make any difference. I thought Honda would've solve any issue during R&D in the wind tunnel and buffering was caused by the screen depending how tall you are. I'm 6' and my helmet was suffering from wind buffering at speeds over 50mph on the road so I thought I'd bite the bullet and buy a forkshield. I didn't buy the SWEGOTECH but a leather alternative and wow what a difference. It definitely worked for me with both peaked and unpeaked helmets. I can honestly say its made riding the AT more pleasurable. Off road it makes no difference at all due to the speeds. I would recommend this route first before buying different screens (I have a standard screen btw) plus at $30 or so a lot cheaper.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Which alternative to the SEGOTECH did you use and where did you purchase it from? I am wondering if the leather looks better and how it functions by comparison.

Corki

Jul 26, 2017
Southeast England
@Cuchulainn All the forkshields I've seen are made in the US and costs half the purchase price to ship to the UK, that's why I looked for an alternative. Ive got the one in the link below. I liked the leather as its more forgiving and not so ridged. Fits really well but tbh could do with a couple of spacers to the back two mounting points which you get with the SWEGOTECH version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRF1000-Africa-Twin-Wind-deflector-Turbulence-and-updraft-cover-Forkshield-/112520614639?hash=item1a32c052ef:g:uzgAAOSwjRpZQTQu&vxp=mtr

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I do like the look of the leather. Spacers are easy to find. May see if I can find someone who has the SWEGOTECH version to get the length of the spacer and at least come close.

Thanks!

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Gotcha. That was the other thing I was planning to look for even with the SWEWGOTECH version. I have read some review of the screws corroding some. Not sure if they have fixed that yet. I thought about locating some black oxide stainless steel ones instead. The local Ace Hardware near my house has a decent selection of them and Fastenal has even more.

Swen13

Aug 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Gotcha. That was the other thing I was planning to look for even with the SWEWGOTECH version. I have read some review of the screws corroding some. Not sure if they have fixed that yet.
Yes we fixed that, all SWEGOTECH Forkshield have now black stainless steel screws with improved rust protection.

yvesdb

Apr 18, 2018
herselt, belgium
Hi guys,
I just bought a new AT AS.
I have the same problems with turbulence and so , as others among you . Also because of my length.
I found the Air dam , but I don 't know if this will fit the AS as well ...

Who has experience with this product and the AS version ?

Yves
Belgium

Swen13

Aug 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Our SWEGOTECH ADVENTURE SPORTS FORKSHIELD got installed and tested by the legendary Kyle Bradshaw !!!

"I've been riding with this Forkshield for three days now and I gotta say it's a GAME CHANGER on this Africa Twin... The noise was so annoying and irritating... A SWEGOTECH Forkshield is the answer to this Buffeting Noise... I am not hearing that whap-whap noise that I was getting before I installed this Forkshield...
As you saw in the installation video just four screws to remove and replace and that's it... The risers still have a 100% movement for functionality... Super, super simple, it looks really good, it's well made, it does the job and comes with all the hardware you need.
So for 40 bucks I don't think you can go wrong!
"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klvX1sCw9l4

Watch the video until the end to see Kyle riding the Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports up a mountain road between all those stuck cars (starting at 10:30min) :D. That's highly entertaining like all his videos.

Learn more about our SWEGOTECH Adventure Sports Forkshield here:
http://www.swegotech.com/Forkshield-Adventure-Sports-CRF1000L2-stop-helmet-peak-wind-buffeting.html

And our regular Africa Twin Forkshield here:
http://www.swegotech.com/Forkshield-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L-stop-ADV-helmet-vibrations.html

Ride safe,
Swen

Reactions: gammel

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu