Forum .org .com ?? Questions and lost

ieracer

Apr 21, 2019
Salem Oregon
So where the heck am I ?? I had posted on the "other" site, questions other stuff, wondering where my old riding buddy was. Oh, all this time different forum it seems. So, I'll just hang here since I see this is where I know some people. Bought the bike over a year ago, lot of small rides, three 2500 mile rides, put on mosko bags, full crash bars, the higher windscreen after the first long ride, bash plate, updated the system so my android phone can bother me. Stock tires are not fun, going with the Shinko 804/805 combo, see how that works.

Issues?

Bad front end wobble at slow speed (20 - 40 mph), if I let go of the bars, which I do from time to time. Stops soon as I frantically grab them. Have the rear preload set 3 clicks from max, still wobbles. But, only when loaded as in the pic. Too much rear weight I guess. The suspension on this bike is great travel wise, but not so good component wise I feel. Very soft. Springs likely next step.

Coming down a mountain pass on last long ride the screen froze, went into "bronze" mode frozen, second time it did this. After shutting all down and restarting, it comes back ( I did this while riding the second time).

Great bike, never had cruise control on all my motorcycles and didn't think much of it until I used it. very nice. set it at 80 across eastern Oregon and tried not to fall asleep.

This is the biggest "off road" bike I've owned and I found out one thing very quick. When I drop it, it is not fun to pick up. I had to pull all the bags one time. Maybe being 61 yrs old has something to do with it? nah, I pick up my xr650r with one hand still, thought is is a little lighter. Yes, this is a heavy bike.

Thx for any input......

pyramid lake.jpg

Sled_C

Sep 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Id start with replacing the tires. Sounds like there due.
Have you had the front wheel off in the past? Looking for movement along the axle, single rotor binding, re-installation issue.
Tire time, good time to check bearings, wheels, steering head, swingarm (easier said than done, rock check then torque).

An old racing dude once said to me, "problem in the front check the rear"

Anyway if your tires are old you've got to start there.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Glad to see you found me.

Have you checked the alignment of the rear wheel to the front? Maybe you’re dog-tracking a little causing an uneven balance between front wheel rolling resistance and rake.

I did the Cogent springs, fronts and the heavier of the two rear options. Made a huge difference off road, but rather harsh on road. Mine has never wobbled in the front, but I have had bikes that did.

ieracer

Apr 21, 2019
Salem Oregon
Yeah checked alignment, but only by the axle, swingarm adjustment marks. Guess I should straight edge it, pretty unnerving but its low speed so not a scary high speed wobble. I do have a lot of weight in the rear when this happens, my tool bag strapped to the rear luggage rack is waaaaay heavy.

I had an interceptor750 I raced in box stock class that would get a scary high speed wobble at 100. Tires n pressure fixed it.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Yeah checked alignment, but only by the axle, swingarm adjustment marks. Guess I should straight edge it, pretty unnerving but its low speed so not a scary high speed wobble. I do have a lot of weight in the rear when this happens, my tool bag strapped to the rear luggage rack is waaaaay heavy.

I had an interceptor750 I raced in box stock class that would get a scary high speed wobble at 100. Tires n pressure fixed it.
I haven’t checked mine in a while but if memory serves alignment with the front was almost a half mark off on the swing arm.

When I first started out I used to take a lot of stuff, now I just take the essentials, much nicer to ride with less weight. last ride I had to use an additional small sleeping bag to take up space in one saddle bag to keep the stuff from flopping around Inside.

We should start planning our BDR trip for next spring/summer.

ieracer

Apr 21, 2019
Salem Oregon
yeah, that is good. Utah Cabin?

. I want to race the Virginia city grand prix soon, over 60 is masters class and I'm there for a year now. It was in oct, but they are moving it back to the usual date of April next year, too soon. I'll wait till next round. They have an adv class that takes the short route, but I don't want to trash my AT up there, I ride my xr650r in those hills a lot, wouldn't take the AT up there. I'm liking your comments on the 450X, that would be the perfect VCGP bike. My XR would be fine, but it's 20 years old, and 20 years of hard hard riding. And, it is a little heavy.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
yeah, that is good. Utah Cabin?

. I want to race the Virginia city grand prix soon, over 60 is masters class and I'm there for a year now. It was in oct, but they are moving it back to the usual date of April next year, too soon. I'll wait till next round. They have an adv class that takes the short route, but I don't want to trash my AT up there, I ride my xr650r in those hills a lot, wouldn't take the AT up there. I'm liking your comments on the 450X, that would be the perfect VCGP bike. My XR would be fine, but it's 20 years old, and 20 years of hard hard riding. And, it is a little heavy.
That 450x is awesome. Every time I ride it I find more to like about it, it’s super easy to go fast on.

olivierh

Jul 27, 2021
Belgium
Funniest opening of a post I have read in a while! Thanks for that. Also I experience a wobble at 60 km/h (40 mph), most noticeable with topcase on it (even if its empty).

Going to properly investigate but for now I rule out tire condition. Could be wheels alignment or preload. Or my fat *ss

MadMike

Nov 18, 2021
DFW
Funniest opening of a post I have read in a while! Thanks for that. Also I experience a wobble at 60 km/h (40 mph), most noticeable with topcase on it (even if its empty).

Going to properly investigate but for now I rule out tire condition. Could be wheels alignment or preload. Or my fat *ss [emo

So where the heck am I ?? I had posted on the "other" site, questions other stuff, wondering where my old riding buddy was. Oh, all this time different forum it seems. So, I'll just hang here since I see this is where I know some people. Bought the bike over a year ago, lot of small rides, three 2500 mile rides, put on mosko bags, full crash bars, the higher windscreen after the first long ride, bash plate, updated the system so my android phone can bother me. Stock tires are not fun, going with the Shinko 804/805 combo, see how that works.

Issues?

Bad front end wobble at slow speed (20 - 40 mph), if I let go of the bars, which I do from time to time. Stops soon as I frantically grab them. Have the rear preload set 3 clicks from max, still wobbles. But, only when loaded as in the pic. Too much rear weight I guess. The suspension on this bike is great travel wise, but not so good component wise I feel. Very soft. Springs likely next step.

Coming down a mountain pass on last long ride the screen froze, went into "bronze" mode frozen, second time it did this. After shutting all down and restarting, it comes back ( I did this while riding the second time).

Great bike, never had cruise control on all my motorcycles and didn't think much of it until I used it. very nice. set it at 80 across eastern Oregon and tried not to fall asleep.

This is the biggest "off road" bike I've owned and I found out one thing very quick. When I drop it, it is not fun to pick up. I had to pull all the bags one time. Maybe being 61 yrs old has something to do with it? nah, I pick up my xr650r with one hand still, thought is is a little lighter. Yes, this is a heavy bike.

Thx for any input......

View attachment 2876

MadMike

Nov 18, 2021
DFW
The stock suspension on most new bikes is adequate at best. A couple of days of hard riding off road can seriously wear the suspension. It sounds like you could benefit greatly from an aftermarket suspension that is rebuildable like Ohlins. Tires are 20% of your suspension so you'd want to replace those at the same time as the front and rear suspension. Honda has always skimped and kept production costs low in the area of shocks and springs. Showa is not really known for their longevity. It would help to know your riding weight as the rear suspension would have a custom made spring a bit more heavy duty spring to your riding weight.

olivierh

Jul 27, 2021
Belgium
90kg, so I tend to exaggerate. I would think that's rather average.

Also only 5k of km on the machine... of which very little off-road. So not sure if the suspension is the culprit here. But as I said, not ruling anything out yet besides the tire condition

MadMike

Nov 18, 2021
DFW
Try backing off the rear spring pre-load and then travel a bit lighter. Funny wear patterns on tires can be a sign of shock wear or leaking seal on shock. Leaks on suspension start out slow and may not be detected right away. BMW has started equipping their bikes from the factory with Ohlins suspension. The main reason the cost of their bikes is higher. Also maintenance is higher on BMW. Honda is directly competing with BMW in this adventure touring category. The main place that Honda beats BMW is in the engine dept. This twin thumper is a beast without all the problem of a boxer engine and driveline. The cost of ownership is significantly less on Honda but the reliability of Honda is much higher than BMW.

Reactions: olivierh

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu