Frame rust/paint

Neptune55

Feb 3, 2018
GB
So my 2 year old Africa Twin is developing rust spots on the frame

Disappointed to say the least

I want some matching touch up paint to try stop it spreading

Any one recommended a supplier in the UK or Europe?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Neptune55

Feb 3, 2018
GB
Yes an easy fix

However for a bike 2 years old the frame coating is a joke

It's obvious where the Honda cost cutting is

kristofh

Feb 8, 2016
Belgium
Here's a spot under the head stock

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
How many miles/km are on the bike?
Mine is also 2 years( next week), 19000km and still like new.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

Davy F

Jul 28, 2015
Northern Ireland
Not trying too hard to defend Honda here....but I’d say looking at the condition of what I can see in your picture, the bike hasn’t seen too many buckets of water or tlc. :confused: I’ve also seen quite a few GS BM’s no older than yours and worse condition and they’re supposed to be a premium product.

Reactions: Graves

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Soap and water does help a lot.

Not trying too hard to defend Honda here....but I’d say looking at the condition of what I can see in your picture, the bike hasn’t seen too many buckets of water or tlc. :confused: I’ve also seen quite a few GS BM’s no older than yours and worse condition and they’re supposed to be a premium product.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
My bike had rust spots on the frame straight from the factory, Honda paid for the repair at a local panel beater under warranty. There i a definite cost-cutting component there.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Kind of like the Takata air bag situation, it’s cheaper to pay off the lawsuits than replace millions of air bags.

...There i a definite cost-cutting component there.

glcruiser

Oct 5, 2017
Yelm, WA

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
Painting over rust spots is only cosmetics. You need to stop the oxydation process. I.e, clean the area to bare metal and then repaint, or use a rust-convertor before repainting.

My bike already had rust spots from new when I picked it up. It was repaired under warranty by a local panelbeater, but it's starting again. I've treated the area with Penetrol. Works well enough if you repeat the process every few months, but it's just a bandaid.

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
I just brushed off the loose rust and dirt and painted the bits with Hammerite (the original hammered effect graphite colour. Not a perfect match but hey this is up near the radiators where a lot of stone damage happens - I think the Hammerite will be better at resisting this damage. I also used it with an artists paint brush to cover the sort of rust shown in the pic above - ie seams of welds. You can only tell if you look closely and it seems to have prevented any further rusting.
Mike

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu