• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

Front fork anodising wear problems

Dec 31, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
Sean the guy that posted the above ADVR thread is a suspension whizbang.
He walked me through the revalve procedure, and gave the hot tip on the shim behind the bushing to prevent slop.
On a side note, I've got the how to dis/reassemble the fork videos done:
here's a how to video, part one, disassembly:
Re-assembly part one
and part two

Jimmy

Dec 21, 2017
United Kingdom
21st Moto Ltd, Swanley
Generally nice staff but their service technical ability is quite frankly appalling. I own a 2016 Honda Africa Twin that has developed a fork wear issue that is currently extensively discussed on Africa Twins forums and the internet which results in a deterioration in their performance which can be felt when riding the bike on uneven road surfaces. The technician at 21st Moto road tested my bike and reported the ride and handling was ok. I know my bike and it clearly does not ride ok, if it did I would not have taken it into them in the first place. The forks were inspected and clearly showed premature wear of the anodised coating on the inside of the fork tube. The fork bushes were also worn. Pictures were taken and a report was forwarded to Honda UK technical department. They responded by saying they had no knowledge of this problem and completely ignored the photos showing premature wear on the fork stanchions and worn bushes, and stated the technician had said the bike road ok so they advised changing the oil and fitting a new seal kit. The technician by the way does not own or ride an Africa Twin on a regular basis. Unbelievably with the knowledge of the service manager Kevin the forks were put back together not only ignoring the obvious wear to the stanchions but the technician re fitted the clearly worn bushes as well. To top things off 21st Moto Ltd charged me £290.93 for this diabolical service. When questioned why had they refitted the forks using clearly worn fork bushes the service manager looked very sheepish and said that Honda had only advised to replace the fork oil. What an absolute joke! So to get things straight the service manager and technician at 21st Moto Ltd are happy to put worn parts back in your bike and then charge a small fortune for doing so. I have covered 14 miles on the bike since getting it back. The forks are still not performing as they should do so I have now taken them to HM Racing in Edenbridge. The technician there pulled the forks apart and was shocked to find the oil was already contaminated and even more shocked to find that the technician at 21st Moto Ltd had put worn bushes back in the forks. They recommend new fork stanchions or at least re anodise the current ones, replacing the worn bushes and re seal the forks all after 14 miles since the £290.93 service by 21st Moto Ltd. My advice is to stay well clear of 21st Moto Ltd and don’t be taken in by Honda’s hype, believe me they are no longer making quality motorcycles.

Dec 31, 2017
Calgary, AB, Canada
21st Moto Ltd, Swanley
Generally nice staff but their service technical ability is quite frankly appalling. I own a 2016 Honda Africa Twin that has developed a fork wear issue that is currently extensively discussed on Africa Twins forums and the internet which results in a deterioration in their performance which can be felt when riding the bike on uneven road surfaces. The technician at 21st Moto road tested my bike and reported the ride and handling was ok. I know my bike and it clearly does not ride ok, if it did I would not have taken it into them in the first place. The forks were inspected and clearly showed premature wear of the anodised coating on the inside of the fork tube. The fork bushes were also worn. Pictures were taken and a report was forwarded to Honda UK technical department. They responded by saying they had no knowledge of this problem and completely ignored the photos showing premature wear on the fork stanchions and worn bushes, and stated the technician had said the bike road ok so they advised changing the oil and fitting a new seal kit. The technician by the way does not own or ride an Africa Twin on a regular basis. Unbelievably with the knowledge of the service manager Kevin the forks were put back together not only ignoring the obvious wear to the stanchions but the technician re fitted the clearly worn bushes as well. To top things off 21st Moto Ltd charged me £290.93 for this diabolical service. When questioned why had they refitted the forks using clearly worn fork bushes the service manager looked very sheepish and said that Honda had only advised to replace the fork oil. What an absolute joke! So to get things straight the service manager and technician at 21st Moto Ltd are happy to put worn parts back in your bike and then charge a small fortune for doing so. I have covered 14 miles on the bike since getting it back. The forks are still not performing as they should do so I have now taken them to HM Racing in Edenbridge. The technician there pulled the forks apart and was shocked to find the oil was already contaminated and even more shocked to find that the technician at 21st Moto Ltd had put worn bushes back in the forks. They recommend new fork stanchions or at least re anodise the current ones, replacing the worn bushes and re seal the forks all after 14 miles since the £290.93 service by 21st Moto Ltd. My advice is to stay well clear of 21st Moto Ltd and don’t be taken in by Honda’s hype, believe me they are no longer making quality motorcycles.
Shitty. That is all.
Honda lost their mojo in the mid 2000's.
Their last good bike/fun/intriguing was the CBR 954, and the 2001 VFR800 (gear driven). It went down hill from there. I've jumped on the yamaha band wagon for about five bikes in the last 8 yrs or so. But even them have shot themselves in the T7. Sort the forks out and move on. That's what I did. The rest of the bike is excellent IMO.

Last edited:

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu