Front headlight/fairing subframe alignment

benspray

Nov 18, 2018
Norwich
Hi All

2018 CRF1000L:

I had a drop/crash and knocked my front subframe out of alignment as well as cracking the left fairing and a few of the indicator/switch mount plastics etc. it looked like it was pushed over to the left slightly and raised on the left hand side as well ie where the fairing meets the fuel tank the gap was bigger front to back and taller up and down on that side.

I've now stripped the entire front end off and I'm not convinced that the subframe is bent but wonder if theres a trick to getting it to align or how to best check the subframe and or the mounting point on the mainframe for straightness? Theres a slight bit of paint cracking on the weld on the mainframe mounting point/tab which concerns me a bit as to whether that may have twisted slightly?

Theres quite a bit of freeplay in the mounting point for the subframe, so is it just a case of pulling it until its straight and bolting it up? just concerned if I do that then refit all the parts and find its still out I have to start again..... also as the crash bars etc bolt onto that same fixing (1 of the 2 anway) it means I'd have to remove a bolt once the fairings etc are back on to get that to fit and don't want to then lose the alignment?

Cheers all
Ben

Attachments

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
Ben so sorry to hear about your incident, but I can't offer a consoling reply. More and more my poser garage QUEEN never leaves the security of the garage and wants to throw itself on the concrete when just strolled about in it like a spoiled brat with a temper tantrum!! There are a few that have been down to the skeleton of the A/T and are always helpful with this stuff so help will be on the way. Till then you have my empathy/pity and I would like to hear the particulars on what and how it happened. Seems all the U TUBE narlly's are done on other than bikes owned by the rider.

Last edited:

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Without a jig for the upper subframe it’s goint to come down to trial and error... and what amount of misalignment you can live with. When I did very much the same thing I just replaced the subframe, that crash cost me $600 in parts.

Hi All

2018 CRF1000L:

I had a drop/crash and knocked my front subframe out of alignment as well as cracking the left fairing and a few of the indicator/switch mount plastics etc. it looked like it was pushed over to the left slightly and raised on the left hand side as well ie where the fairing meets the fuel tank the gap was bigger front to back and taller up and down on that side.

I've now stripped the entire front end off and I'm not convinced that the subframe is bent but wonder if theres a trick to getting it to align or how to best check the subframe and or the mounting point on the mainframe for straightness? Theres a slight bit of paint cracking on the weld on the mainframe mounting point/tab which concerns me a bit as to whether that may have twisted slightly?

Theres quite a bit of freeplay in the mounting point for the subframe, so is it just a case of pulling it until its straight and bolting it up? just concerned if I do that then refit all the parts and find its still out I have to start again..... also as the crash bars etc bolt onto that same fixing (1 of the 2 anway) it means I'd have to remove a bolt once the fairings etc are back on to get that to fit and don't want to then lose the alignment?

Cheers all
Ben

benspray

Nov 18, 2018
Norwich
Getting there with it, digging in a bit further as seen a few badly fitted bits from the factory like the wonky airbox that had the front fitting crossthreaded and was screwed down tight on the plastic coil tray on the right hand side so that it cracked the holes that are supposed to line up under the spacers :(
Also wondering whether to put some paint or other protection on the frame above the engine - the paint is very thin and the welds are rusty, it lives in a dehumidified garage so must have come like it....
Overall nothing that can't be sorted out but a touch worrying here and there build quality wise.

Parts/work wise so far:
New left hand switch housing
New left side indicator/mount
New left hand fairing
New right hand black section of the fairing with the Honda badge
New right hand radiator cover
Straightened the mounting tab on the right hand radiator
New headlight (old one just had a small scuff but I had the parts along with the other plastics etc so swapped while it was all removed)

Not too bad but I think could have been a lot worse without the full Alt-rider crash bars, sure they saved the radiators etc

On the plus side while its all in bits I've fitted the 12v aux socket, heated grips, Denali spot lights, pair system blank, Rapid bike EVO and getting there with Akrapovic decat full system as well as left hand rear brake conversion :)

Cheers all
Ben

benspray

Nov 18, 2018
Norwich
Finally all back together after a few long waits for parts...
Straighter than it left the factory I think and rides better than it ever did ;)

20200518_120919.jpg
20200518_120930.jpg
20200518_121019.jpg
20200518_121051.jpg
20200518_121055.jpg
20200518_121110.jpg
20200518_121118.jpg
20200518_121125.jpg

Reactions: belrix

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu