• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

Has anyone pumped their engine full of water yet?

OneEarTim

africatwin.org gold
Aug 16, 2017
Nor-Cal
motorcycleadventuregear.com
The title sums it up. Has any of you filled your cylinders up with water yet?

This week has been an epic adventure through Nor-Cal. We rode the most epic asphalt, dirt roads, single track, mud, snow and LOTS of creek crossing. Some creeks were seat deep and others were only a foot deep.

On the last day at the last creek crossing I didn't respect the creek as I should have. I went down and sucked the engine full of water. I was annoyed but figured I would just pull the plugs and pump the water out. Unfortunately I didn't realize my small spark plug socket wasn't TINY. I don't know if I've ever seen a 14mm spark plug before. I had a wrench to pull the left side out but didn't have anything to pull the right plug. I turned over the engine enough to puke a bunch of water out of the left side but didn't want to hydro the right cylinder.

So my epic four day ride ended with a 6 hour wait in the middle of the woods while waiting for my buddies to ride out to reception and have my girlfriend bring my truck to come rescue me.

Here are a few pics from our ride. It was epic plan.jpg norcal3.jpg norcal2.jpg norcall.jpg

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Not on the AT, but I’ve dunked other bikes. Fun, ain’t it! At least there won’t be any water in the float bowls.

The title sums it up. Has any of you filled your cylinders up with water yet?

This week has been an epic adventure through Nor-Cal. We rode the most epic asphalt, dirt roads, single track, mud, snow and LOTS of creek crossing. Some creeks were seat deep and others were only a foot deep.

On the last day at the last creek crossing I didn't respect the creek as I should have. I went down and sucked the engine full of water. I was annoyed but figured I would just pull the plugs and pump the water out. Unfortunately I didn't realize my small spark plug socket wasn't TINY. I don't know if I've ever seen a 14mm spark plug before. I had a wrench to pull the left side out but didn't have anything to pull the right plug. I turned over the engine enough to puke a bunch of water out of the left side but didn't want to hydro the right cylinder.

So my epic four day ride ended with a 6 hour wait in the middle of the woods while waiting for my buddies to ride out to reception and have my girlfriend bring my truck to come rescue me.

Here are a few pics from our ride. It was epic View attachment 1306 View attachment 1307 View attachment 1308 View attachment 1309

OneEarTim

africatwin.org gold
Aug 16, 2017
Nor-Cal
Not on the AT, but I’ve dunked other bikes. Fun, ain’t it! At least there won’t be any water in the float bowls.
Lol
Wonderful point. I committed to not riding my AT on an adventure again until I had what I needed to pull both plugs. The right side sucks pretty bad to pull. But at least it’s not under the air box like I thought it was. It’s up and running already. I just didn’t want to change pulling one and hydro locking and jacking a rod in the right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLAYTO

Oct 3, 2017
East Yorkshire
Sure I read something when I had the KTM950 where plugs are hard to get at too. Put the bike in top gear and rock it back and forwards to turn pistons slowly and open exhaust port to expel water into exhaust. Not tried it I might add. Also doesn’t solve clearing the air box !! That’s a tank off job with the AT hey?? Had a few close shaves in Portugal so really should have a plan to sort it on the trail.

Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Awesome photos and looks like a great trip, other than the turning the bike into a bilge pump bit :)

Late model Husqvarna and KTM use that 14mm hex size. Apparently Honda now is as well.

Glad you got it up and running again!

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Change your oil, run it for a few minutes then change it again, then run it for a couple hours and change it again.

When I dunked my XR I was lucky to have synthetic in it, so I didn’t have to worry too much about the bottom end. Same with my KX when I dropped it into a stream and the sudden cooling sucked stream water up the trans breather hose. When I dunked my CR I wasn’t so lucky, I should have pulled the top end and cleaned out the bottom end, ended up with a new crank, piston, bore job, right crankcase half... big bucks.

Lol
Wonderful point. I committed to not riding my AT on an adventure again until I had what I needed to pull both plugs. The right side sucks pretty bad to pull. But at least it’s not under the air box like I thought it was. It’s up and running already. I just didn’t want to change pulling one and hydro locking and jacking a rod in the right side.

OneEarTim

africatwin.org gold
Aug 16, 2017
Nor-Cal
Change your oil, run it for a few minutes then change it again, then run it for a couple hours and change it again.

When I dunked my XR I was lucky to have synthetic in it, so I didn’t have to worry too much about the bottom end. Same with my KX when I dropped it into a stream and the sudden cooling sucked stream water up the trans breather hose. When I dunked my CR I wasn’t so lucky, I should have pulled the top end and cleaned out the bottom end, ended up with a new crank, piston, bore job, right crankcase half... big bucks.
Drained the oil today and let it settle. No signs of water in the oil. I run synthetic as well. I haven't filled it back up yet but I'll make sure to keep a close eye on it for awhile.

OneEarTim

africatwin.org gold
Aug 16, 2017
Nor-Cal
Sure I read something when I had the KTM950 where plugs are hard to get at too. Put the bike in top gear and rock it back and forwards to turn pistons slowly and open exhaust port to expel water into exhaust. Not tried it I might add. Also doesn’t solve clearing the air box !! That’s a tank off job with the AT hey?? Had a few close shaves in Portugal so really should have a plan to sort it on the trail.

Looking closely at the air box I think there is good odds that the drain on the right side will drain most or all of it out.
I think I'll be able to make a custom 14mm deep spark plug socket that will make pulling the plug fairly easy.
I have it admit it was the FIRST time I ever thought the boxer BMW engine has some merit for an adventure bike. LOL

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I wonder what the center plugs are like to get to?

Looking closely at the air box I think there is good odds that the drain on the right side will drain most or all of it out.
I think I'll be able to make a custom 14mm deep spark plug socket that will make pulling the plug fairly easy.
I have it admit it was the FIRST time I ever thought the boxer BMW engine has some merit for an adventure bike. LOL

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man... keep us updated on how you repair it. Curious to see how one goes about doing it. Awesome photos though.

OneEarTim

africatwin.org gold
Aug 16, 2017
Nor-Cal
Man... keep us updated on how you repair it. Curious to see how one goes about doing it. Awesome photos though.
Pretty straight forward but time consuming. Pull the left spark plug. Pull the right side panel/fairing off. Dismount the right radiator and wiggle the rad fairings out of the way. Remove the right plug with a 14mm spark plug wrench and universal joint and extension. I think I need to make a set up that I can remove the plug without so much work on the trail. I also pulled the exhaust and emptied the water out of that. Then I turned it over for a bit until the water stopped puking out of the spark plug holes. Put it all back together started it for a couple minutes. Changed the oil and didn't see any water in it. All good now. Super annoying how hard the right plug is to get at on an adv bike in my opinion.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu