Heated Gear?

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I am trying to ride year round and it is starting to get cold here in Kansas, so it is time to start thinking about heated gear.

Can the alternator on the AT handle a full set of heated gear? Jacket, pants, gloves and insoles?

Thanks!

brian

Bmp4510

Aug 7, 2017
Clovis California
I am trying to ride year round and it is starting to get cold here in Kansas, so it is time to start thinking about heated gear.

Can the alternator on the AT handle a full set of heated gear? Jacket, pants, gloves and insoles?

Thanks!

brian
I ride with a set of Gerbing heated gloves and jacket liner. The only additional electrical draw I have is charging an iPhone. The AT’s charging systems keeps up with everything fine. I just use my old Harley chaps for my legs and insulated boots on my feet. The coldest I ride in is 30 degrees, and this outfit works well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
I use Gloves/Vest/insoles, all Gerbing gloves 26w 2.2A, Insoles 20w 1.6A, Vest 54w 4.5A. Separate circuit triggered by a relay so is keyed. Uses the better part of a 10A fuse. Add more, fuse more.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I apologize for not updating this thread.

Last winter I purchased a full set of First Gear heated gear, jackets, gloves, pants and socks. The AT's charging system is able to handle the load of all four pieces fine.

For my daily commute I use the jacket and gloves, longer trips will add pants and socks

:)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Had heated grips and seat on the Goldwing, still froze my A off, I hear that heated gear is the way to go.

Looking into adding heated grips so was wondering what everyone is using. Honda or aftermarket? Pros and cons? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
Stock heated grips on my Wing, and only ok for heat. When it was really cold would supplement with heated gloves. Have stock Heated grips OEM on my Adventure Sport, and they do much better than the ones on the Goldwing, but then they are much newer technology. Neither do the job of the Oxford grips on my KLR, so if that was the route I was going, I would use the Oxford, just not as elegant of a control unit as the OEM. Now, all of that said, I use Gerbing insoles, Gerbing Gloves, and a Gerbing vest in the cold weather, and only supplement with the grips. I find the grips only heat the palms, and the back of my hands, and the tips of my right hand especially, get cold with the grips alone. But then, I am an old comfort-driven wuss, so take it for what it is worth.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
You know what I found on a long rainy day on the Goldwing? Dive gloves, they work great, been using them ever since.

Stock heated grips on my Wing, and only ok for heat. When it was really cold would supplement with heated gloves. Have stock Heated grips OEM on my Adventure Sport, and they do much better than the ones on the Goldwing, but then they are much newer technology. Neither do the job of the Oxford grips on my KLR, so if that was the route I was going, I would use the Oxford, just not as elegant of a control unit as the OEM. Now, all of that said, I use Gerbing insoles, Gerbing Gloves, and a Gerbing vest in the cold weather, and only supplement with the grips. I find the grips only heat the palms, and the back of my hands, and the tips of my right hand especially, get cold with the grips alone. But then, I am an old comfort-driven wuss, so take it for what it is worth.

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
You mean we have something else in common besides Wings, ATs, and being old farts? In my previous iteration in the 1970s I received a graduate degree in Marine Biology. Was diving twice a day on slack tide in Deception Pass WA to work with a sponge that only survives in high current areas. Very absorbing subject! (been decades since I have used that line).

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Afraid not. I just happened upon a sporting goods store, in Half Moon Bay I think, during a full on downpour looking for relief, found the dive gloves and thought that thy might work... and they did. Later in that ride at the Cresent City Wall Mart we picked up rubber boots and dry socks, that was a sight. It’s funny what you end up picking up along the way... and what gets left behind.

You mean we have something else in common besides Wings, ATs, and being old farts? In my previous iteration in the 1970s I received a graduate degree in Marine Biology. Was diving twice a day on slack tide in Deception Pass WA to work with a sponge that only survives in high current areas. Very absorbing subject! (been decades since I have used that line).

Shanfara

Jan 13, 2019
Texas
I have been using a First Gear Thermosuit. Crafted by the God's, it was. I tell everyone about it now.

Fully waterproof from neck to ankle, warm below freezing with just a t shirt and jeans underneath, and unbelievably comfortable. I almost went heated gear, but gave the Thermosuit a try and haven't looked back. If I ever find myself cold in it (which I haven't) I will pick up a heated vest and glove liners and probably be good forever.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Not sure If I am better polstered than the rest of you , but even in freezing fog -5°C last week , without any electrical devices ,
I only real found myself getting uncomfortable after 90mins , and I'm still using a open face cross helmet.

To be honest though I am normally only out on my commute for 40 mins each way and for that short space of time.
the cold does not really take effect , unless you have poor clothing or gave yourself an unwanted air gap while dressing.

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Belrix , As I just took a look at the Temps for Kansas and the rest of the mid west , are you still out on the bike ? :eek:

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Haven't been riding much, brrr!

Plus been playing with a new toy, new to me 2016 Jeep Wrangler! :)

After single digits this week it's going to be in the 60'sF this weekend... Going to be riding for so

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
I worry a little about heated gear. For extended trips I mean. If it breaks (as electrickery tends to do) you've either got the clothes to carry on without it (in which case you didn't need it in the first place) or you haven't because you trusted it and then you're in big trouble.

Just thinking aloud....

Shanfara

Jan 13, 2019
Texas
Not sure If I am better polstered than the rest of you , but even in freezing fog -5°C last week , without any electrical devices ,
I only real found myself getting uncomfortable after 90mins , and I'm still using a open face cross helmet.

To be honest though I am normally only out on my commute for 40 mins each way and for that short space of time.
the cold does not really take effect , unless you have poor clothing or gave yourself an unwanted air gap while dressing.
Okay, how are you handling your hands? My hands are always cold in the 20s but the rest of me is fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Firstly, gloves. Good gloves. The right gloves for the season. Obvious for most of us but I've seen some crazy folk about. I'm currently using the Halvarssons Advance. Rumour has it that they are warm and actually waterproof. Too soon for me to say for sure but so far so good.

Secondly, thin medical / workshop / nitrile gloves. Thin enough to go under your normal gloves, improves waterproofness and helps to keep the heat in - but they will sweat. A lot. So only use in emergencies. I always have some shoved in somewhere just in case I have to change a tube or do chain work or something. Dirt cheap and they take up no room at all..... a lot of people swear by them but personally I used to still get pretty cold with them on.

Thirdly, heated grips. But not the Honda rubbish. Cheap Oxfords are fixed to most bikes for a reason. Look awful, poor quality (seriously marginal engineering at best) but hot. Hot hot hot. 👍

So, for me, good warm gloves, heated grips and a set of marigolds as backup.

... aaaand a spare pair of summer gloves in the luggage in case things get toasty :)

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu