• Hi riders and readers, We just upgraded and updated some code to make things run a bit better on the site. Please let us know if you find any technical glitches or issues. Thank you again! africatwin.org staff

Hello from Albany, Oregon

Hardtop

Gold Rider
Dec 12, 2018
Albany, Oregon
Hi to my new forum.

I picked up my new 2017 AT on the 5th of January. I have it pretty well set-up for the riding I intend to do with foot pegs, front crash bars, pannier racks for soft luggage, rear rack extender, center stand, heated grips, GPS mount and wiring to an Eastern Beaver PC-8. A little over 300 miles so far and really like the bike.

I sold a 2003 Aprilia Caponord and a 2009 Husqvarna TE610 to help fund and make room for the AT. It joins a 2005 BMW R1200 RT in my garage.

I intend to use the AT for multi-day adventure rides the first of which will be a week in Northern California in late May/early June. There is a lot of days rides to be done in the Cascades or Coast ranges between the multi-day rides. I used the Aprilia for some off-road work but found the 19" front tire to be the limiting factor along with it's weight. Though not much heavier that the AT it carried it's weigh much higher and felt perceptively heavier. The Husky was used for multi-day rides around Oregon, Idaho and Montanna on the Oregon OBDR and Idaho IBDR. It was a great bike and hard to let go but I feel the AT will do the same rides much more comfortably.

My riding partner bought a BMW F800 GS and after switching bikes with my Aprilia for and hour or so I decided the Aprilia was going to go. We discussed how the larger dual sports would do all the riding we have been doing as well as the Huskies we have been riding while not encouraging us to get into some of the sketchy areas we have found ourselves in. At 67 years of age we have finally decided to pick our battles.

I started searching for a low mileage F800 GS while having the Africa Twin in the back of my mind. Realizing I could by a new hold-over 2017 Africa Twin for the cost of a low mileage GS I decided to test ride the Honda. That did it! The bike fits me much better than the GS, I loved the motor and the reviews I have read about how it feels much lighter than it is are all true. On top of that I have a local dealer and the multitude of Honda dealers available if I ever need them.

Not a small part of my decision making included finding this forum. Over the years the BMW Sport Touring Forum, the AF1 Aprilia Forum and the Cafe Husky TE 610/630 Forums have been invaluable to me in maintaining and enjoying my bikes. I can see that this Forum will be equally valuable to me.

Ewell

Reactions: Admin

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
Hardtop, welcome! If you are free Friday morning I will be at Don Weber's place getting the seat done on my Adventure Sport. Always interested in meeting another rider. Van Moore

vfmoore

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
By the way, how old is that picture on your Avatar? Bike looks a half a century dated? You must be about as long in the tooth as myself!

Hardtop

Gold Rider
Dec 12, 2018
Albany, Oregon
Circa 1968 on my Yamaha 250 Big Bear Scrambler! The jump was pretty, the landing not so much. I hit on the tank and proceeded to writhe in pain on the ground with my hands between my legs. No permanent damage to me or the bike!

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
@Hardtop Happy to have you here and welcome to africatwin.org! Thank you for the kind words about the forum. It really means a lot as we try to build a quality community of Africa Twin/ADV riders.

ATmartin

Feb 21, 2018
Bavaria Germany
Hi to my new forum.

I picked up my new 2017 AT on the 5th of January. I have it pretty well set-up for the riding I intend to do with foot pegs, front crash bars, pannier racks for soft luggage, rear rack extender, center stand, heated grips, GPS mount and wiring to an Eastern Beaver PC-8. A little over 300 miles so far and really like the bike.

I sold a 2003 Aprilia Caponord and a 2009 Husqvarna TE610 to help fund and make room for the AT. It joins a 2005 BMW R1200 RT in my garage.

I intend to use the AT for multi-day adventure rides the first of which will be a week in Northern California in late May/early June. There is a lot of days rides to be done in the Cascades or Coast ranges between the multi-day rides. I used the Aprilia for some off-road work but found the 19" front tire to be the limiting factor along with it's weight. Though not much heavier that the AT it carried it's weigh much higher and felt perceptively heavier. The Husky was used for multi-day rides around Oregon, Idaho and Montanna on the Oregon OBDR and Idaho IBDR. It was a great bike and hard to let go but I feel the AT will do the same rides much more comfortably.

My riding partner bought a BMW F800 GS and after switching bikes with my Aprilia for and hour or so I decided the Aprilia was going to go. We discussed how the larger dual sports would do all the riding we have been doing as well as the Huskies we have been riding while not encouraging us to get into some of the sketchy areas we have found ourselves in. At 67 years of age we have finally decided to pick our battles.

I started searching for a low mileage F800 GS while having the Africa Twin in the back of my mind. Realizing I could by a new hold-over 2017 Africa Twin for the cost of a low mileage GS I decided to test ride the Honda. That did it! The bike fits me much better than the GS, I loved the motor and the reviews I have read about how it feels much lighter than it is are all true. On top of that I have a local dealer and the multitude of Honda dealers available if I ever need them.

Not a small part of my decision making included finding this forum. Over the years the BMW Sport Touring Forum, the AF1 Aprilia Forum and the Cafe Husky TE 610/630 Forums have been invaluable to me in maintaining and enjoying my bikes. I can see that this Forum will be equally valuable to me.

Ewell
Welcome to the AT world. Greetings from Bavaria Germany

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu