• Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays to all riders and readers! Thank you for being a part of the online community and big thanks to @Graves for his effort on this forum. -africatwin.org team

Honda Africa Twin Technical Issues and Warranty reference list

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hi everyone,

I'm compiling a list of all the technical issues that riders have come across on the Honda Africa Twin and the warranty resolution of each issue. I'm sure I'm missing some more so please feel free to contribute and I'll add it on this list. This is for reference and best viewed on a computer or smartphone browser. Tapatalk won't display the table.
*Last edited October 20, 2018

Issue​

Warranty

Front fork anodizing issue​

Reports of Honda EU and US resolving the issue under warranty​

Wheels and spokes corrosion​

Faulty starter switch​

Hand warmer issue​

Reports of Honda EU and US looking into the issue and offering a solution​

Flexing side stand​

Replaced by Honda under warranty​

Rear carrier rack issue​

Pending on reports from riders on warranty claim​

Windscreen bracket breaking/cracking​

Mixed reports from riders claiming Honda will/will not cover under warranty​

Sticky Left Hand Select Button​

Honda EU and US resolving the issue under warranty​

Starter Button Issue​

Honda EU and US resolving the issue under warranty​

Poor Finish on Engine Casing​

Honda EU is resolving the issue under warranty​

Faulty Center Stand​

Honda EU and US issue a recall to replace center stand​

Last edited by a moderator:

Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I have only used mine a couple of times for getting on the side stand. More being lazy than anything. I haven’t noticed any bend or give to it. But it is something that I will now keep an eye on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
Two other know issues (no personal experience, but some mates did):
  1. Rear carrier rack breaking - seems more provident on people using a topbox off-road.
  2. Windscreen bracket cracking/breaking - they are not very strong and most people suffering this issue had either done lots of corrugated roads or had a GPS (or similar) mounted to the crossbar.

Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Aug 20, 2017
GB
Hi everyone,

I'm compiling a list of all the technical issues that riders have come across on the Honda Africa Twin and the warranty resolution of each issue. I'm sure I'm missing some more so please feel free to contribute and I'll add it on this list. This is for reference and best viewed on a computer or smartphone browser. Tapatalk won't display the table.

*Last edited August 22nd, 2017
Hi have any one of u getting misfire from 3rd to 2nd an at low revs this is a pain in the butt seems to be a problem on the net too.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Black99S

Aug 25, 2016
BC, Canada
Just installed Honda heated grips. They work but nowhere the heat level of Oxford or BMW grips. Heat level 5 good to 12C only. Dealer has only installed 2-sets and confirmed ‘meh’ as the result.

Logged a case with Honda Canada Customer Support - who said talk to the dealer that sold me the kit.

Dealer is aware of internet chatter but can offer nothing until service bulletin or upgraded part # released by Honda.

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
IMO @Black99S, you'd be better off getting your money back and investing in Oxford or similar. The OEM grips max out at about 80C (when fully operational) whilst the Oxford goes to around 140C.

Pains me to say this, but Honda OEM accessories and optional gear (apart from the centre stand) are not as good and overpriced.

Black99S

Aug 25, 2016
BC, Canada
IMO @Black99S, you'd be better off getting your money back and investing in Oxford or similar. The OEM grips max out at about 80C (when fully operational) whilst the Oxford goes to around 140C.

Pains me to say this, but Honda OEM accessories and optional gear (apart from the centre stand) are not as good and overpriced.
Had Oxford on my DR650. Too large diameter and too hard. Compressed Median nerve in left hand whilst doing a lot of clutch work at an offf-road course. Never again. Numb finger for months.

Very happy with Symtex Heat Deamon foil heaters on my KTM but did not want to deal with peeling grips off Honda throttle tube or finding a new throttle tube.

So I tried the Honda grips after reading many of the grips posts - with the hope they
A) couldn’t be too bad
B) Honda had a fix in the works as reported on some forums.

I’ll live with them for a bit while I investigate throttle tubes and grips for Symtex option, and if dealer has no improvement I’ll ask for refund.

Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
and your findings were? please post the solution you found.
ATO appears to have the best current solution, in that it is a solid metal design with thin, tubular and removable handles. But it is not cheap and I am still trying to determine weight capacity.

http://atoeng.com/product/12230/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posiden

May 25, 2015
The English Lake District
Two issues not mentioned above are left and right hand switch gears.
The left hand select button keeps sticking in, and the right hand starter button prevents the engine turning over long enough to start the engine.
Both apparently are known faults that Honda corrects under warranty.
My dealer has requested photos of my corroded spokes before he will order new wheels!!!

mike5100

Sep 5, 2017
UK
In the UK there's a few people getting engine casings changed under warranty for poor quality finish. Lumps and bobbles under the coppery coloured paint and some reports of the paint flaking off. Mine has the first problem but I can't be bothered to make a claim.
Mike

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu