• Hi everyone, hope all of you are safe and healthy. We've updated the image upload size to 5MB from 2MB so everyone can upload some pretty pictures during their quarantine. We will also be updating our software and servers as the weeks go by so please let us know if you have any issues. Wishing all riders good health during these times.

Honda Announces A New 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports Model

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Rider
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honda just announced their 2018 Honda Africa Twin and Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Here are the press releases from Honda UK covering the Africa Twin and it's upgraded stablemate the Africa Twin Adventure Sports:

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/118505/2018-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcyc...ture-sports-lead-hondas-2018-line-up-at-eicma

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcyc...8-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-adventure-sports

The Africa Twin gets a new stablemate for 2018, as the Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports model debuted at today's Honda EICMA press conference. The Adventure Sports model has upgraded footrests, stainless steel wheels, quick shifter is available for the manual version, a new instrument panel, ride-by-wire throttle, new exhaust, lithium-ion battery and an larger fuel tank measuring at 24 liters (6.3 gallons). The Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports model weighs in at an approximate 536lbs at the curb. The 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports will available in a 30th anniversary tricolor paint to celebrate the launch of the XRV650 in 1988.

2018-Honda-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-02.jpg 2018-Honda-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-04.jpg 2018-Honda-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-06.jpg 2018-Honda-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-18.jpg 2018-Honda-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-19.jpg 2018-Honda-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-22.jpg 2018-Honda-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-24.jpg 2018-Honda-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-25.jpg 2018-Honda-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-28.jpg 2018-Honda-Africa-Twin-Adventure-Sports-29.jpg

Specs from Honda

Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Adventure Sports

ENGINE

Type

Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve parallel twin with 270° crank and uni-cam

Displacement

998cm3

Bore & Stroke

92.0 x 75.1mm

Max. Power Output

94 bhp/7,500rpm (95/1/EC)

Max. Torque

99Nm/6,000rpm (95/1/EC)

FUEL SYSTEM

Fuel Capacity

24.2 litres

Fuel consumption (WMTC mode)

MT: 61.3 mpg (WMTC)
DCT: 61.6 mpg (WMTC)

DRIVETRAIN

Clutch

MT: Wet, multiplate with coil springs, Aluminium Cam Assist and Slipper clutch

DCT: 2 Wet multiple clutches

Gearbox / Transmission Type

Constant mesh 6-speed MT / 6-speed DCT with on and off-road riding modes

Final Drive

O-ring sealed chain

FRAME

Type

Steel semi-double cradle type with high-tensile strength steel rear subframe

CHASSIS

Dimensions (L x W x H)

2,340 x 930 x 1,570mm

Wheelbase

1,580mm

Seat Height (STD position / Low position)

900/920mm

Ground Clearance

270mm

Kerb Weight

243 kg (MT), 253kg (DCT)

Turning Radius

2.6m

SUSPENSION

Suspension (front)

Showa 45mm cartridge-type inverted telescopic fork with hydraulic dial-style preload and damping (compression & rebound) adjuster, 252mm stroke, 224mm axle travel

Suspension (rear)

Monoblock cast aluminium swing arm with Pro-Link with gas-charged damper, hydraulic dial-style preload adjuster and rebound damping adjustment, 240 mm rear wheel travel, 101 mm stroke

WHEELS

Wheels Front

Wire spoke with aluminium rim

Wheels Rear

Rim Size Front

21M/C x MT2.15

Rim Size Rear

18M/C x MT4.00

Tyres Front

90/90-21 tube type

Tyres Rear

150/70-R18 tube type

BRAKES

ABS system type

2-Channel with rear ABS off switch

Type Front

310mm dual wave floating hydraulic disc with aluminium hub and radial fit 4-piston calipers and sintered metal pads

Type Rear

256mm wave hydraulic disc with 1-piston caliper and sintered metal pads. Also Lever-Lock Type Parking Brake System on DCT model with additional slide type 1-piston caliper

INSTRUMENTS & ELECTRICS

Instruments

Rally style negative LCD instrument display including: Riding Modes, Speedometer, Tachometer, Fuel, Gear position, ABS, HSTC, Odometer, Trip and Clock

Headlight

Dual LED (1 High/1 Low)

Taillight

LED

Indicators

LED

Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin:

ENGINE

Type

Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve parallel twin with 270° crank and uni-cam

Displacement

998cm3

Bore & Stroke

92.0 x 75.1mm

Max. Power Output

70kW/7,500rpm (95/1/EC)

Max. Torque

99Nm/6,000rpm (95/1/EC)

FUEL SYSTEM

Fuel Capacity

18.8 litres

Fuel consumption (WMTC mode)

MT: 61.3 mpg (WMTC)
DCT: 61.6 mpg (WMTC)

DRIVETRAIN

Clutch

MT: Wet, multiplate with coil springs, Aluminium Cam Assist and Slipper clutch

DCT: 2 Wet multiple clutches

Gearbox / Transmission Type

Constant mesh 6-speed MT / 6-speed DCT with on and off-road riding modes

Final Drive

O-ring sealed chain

FRAME

Type

Steel semi-double cradle type with high-tensile strength steel rear subframe

CHASSIS

Dimensions (L x W x H)

2,335 x 930 x 1,475mm

Wheelbase

1,575mm

Seat Height (STD position / Low position)

870/850mm

Ground Clearance

250mm

Kerb Weight

230 kg (MT), 240kg (DCT)

Turning Radius

2.6m

SUSPENSION

Suspension (front)

Showa 45mm cartridge-type inverted telescopic fork with hydraulic dial-style preload adjuster and DF adjustment, 230mm stroke, 204mm axle travel

Suspension (rear)

Monoblock cast aluminium swing arm with Pro-Link with gas-charged damper, hydraulic dial-style preload adjuster and rebound damping adjustment, 220 mm rear wheel travel, 94 mm axle stroke

WHEELS

Wheels Front

Wheels Rear

Rim Size Front

21M/C x MT2.15

Rim Size Rear

18M/C x MT4.00

Tyres Front

90/90-R21 tube type

Tyres Rear

150/70-R18 tube type

BRAKES

ABS system type

2-Channel with rear ABS off switch

Type Front

310mm dual wave floating hydraulic disc with aluminium hub and radial fit 4-piston calipers and sintered metal pads

Type Rear

256mm wave hydraulic disc with 1-piston caliper and sintered metal pads. Also Lever-Lock Type Parking Brake System on DCT model with additional slide type 1-piston caliper

INSTRUMENTS & ELECTRICS

Instruments

Rally style negative LCD instrument display including: Riding Modes, Speedometer, Tachometer, Fuel, Gear position, ABS, HSTC, Odometer, Trip and Clock

Headlight

Dual LED (1 High/1 Low)

Taillight

LED

Indicators

LED

Last edited by a moderator:

Cehanska

Sep 13, 2017
Turtle Island (North America)
I have seen the vids, and while the improvements are not bad, I am not impressed: I don't need 7 rider modes, or another 29 lbs mostly up high, on an already heavy bike, or a higher seat, or a centimeter of extra suspension travel. The extra fuel would be useful, but all of that weight up high, including the enhanced upper engine guards, will only harm the offroad handling by raising the center of gravity. Ride by wire, but no cruise control?

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
@Cehanska @AfricaTom Some excellent points. I was talking to a friend who has been riding for over 20+ years and he made some good points. He mentioned that the people who are considering the Adventure Sports model are people like him who wants long range adventure bike capability, don't mind the weight because it'll rarely see dirt time and he probably won't use all the bells and whistles but enjoys have a machine that is very capable.

Davy F

Jul 28, 2015
Northern Ireland
As much as I think this new model is the dogs danglies and I'd really like one, I have to tell myself that I actually don't need it. I don't need the extra height, nor the extra fuel capacity, the extra riding modes, or the nicer rear body panels etc etc. My 'basic' model suits my needs and it'd be pure vanity to consider changing purely for how nice the 30th anniversary model looks.

See ? I've convinced myself already.....o_O

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I agree Cehanska. I'm glad I recently bought my 2016 AT for a good price instead of waiting for the 2018.
My wife just made that same decision. She really liked mine and decided to trade in her BMW F800GS on one. She had a long, hard look at the new 2018's, but decided that making a good deal on 2017 made more sense. She has a Candy Red 2017 on the way.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu