• Hi riders and readers, We just upgraded and updated some code to make things run a bit better on the site. Please let us know if you find any technical glitches or issues. Thank you again! africatwin.org staff

Honda OEM heated grips vs Aftermarket

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
Some info for anyone wanting to know if the OEM heated grips are worth it.

What do you get:
  • slim grips (some people don't like thick grips) and they are slimmer than e.g. Oxford
  • integrated dash display - little icon that shows they are on, and when you change the level, it displays the level for a while.
  • integrated button on the left heated grip that switches them on/off, and adjust the power level as opposed to a 'powerboard'.
  • integrated led in the left grip/switch that flashes the power setting when switched on, or when you change the power setting (i.e. when the power level is 3, it flashes intermittently three time).
What they don't tell you:
  • the button on the left grip gets in the way when you ride off-road and/or have big hands. I've lost count on the amount of times I accidentally switched on the grips in the desert heat whilst riding off-road - pretty annoying
  • the led light on the left grip is very bright. in fact, its annoyingly bright when you are riding at night and affects your night vision. Mine is green, and I noticed the 250Rally has an amber led, which would undoubtedly be much better. So as a suggestion, try and get an amber led grips rather than green or any other colour.
  • the price is about 3x times that of aftermarket grips, such as Oxford, so not cheap
  • they are not nearly as effective as specifically Oxford grips (see badly edited video below). They seem to max out at about 80C, whilst Oxford grips reach around 140C.

Corki

Jul 26, 2017
Southeast England
Thanks Squily, very helpful and really handy to see the comparison between the two working. I've just ordered a set of Oxford Touring grips based on your video

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
I’m buying heated gloves this time around.
The fatigue caused by trying to grip the bars to stay warm just outways the benefit imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear ya. I do have the Honda OEM heated grips installed for the "always there" factor. But for really keeping my hands warm in the winter, I like my Gerbings Hybrid (rechargeable battery or plug in) far better and they keep both the tops and bottoms of the fingers warm. :)

Reactions: Bmp4510

Hardtop

Gold Rider
Dec 12, 2018
Albany, Oregon
Had the dealer install the factory heated grips before I took delivery of my bike. My train of thought was to have them covered under the warranty. So far I have no complaints and have not needed to run them beyond the #3 setting during 600+ miles of January & February Oregon riding.

Reactions: Admin

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu