• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

How low can you go (fuel)?

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Out running in the new 2018 AT (standard, manual) and this happened....

Dash1.jpg

Fuel gauge reads 1 bar - range reads 101 miles !!! What ???

So I carried on until the last bar sterted flashing and the light came on...

Dash2.jpg

Light was on and last bar was flashing. Range still reads 58 miles.

I love that this bike gets nervous when it only has 100 miles left. And panics with lights and flashes at 50.

It really does want to get out there in the wilderness! 😂

I bottled it at about 40 miles left and filled up.

Dash3.jpg

Full to the brim with an estimated range of 268 miles. I'll take that thank you! :D

Check out that screen glare though 😂

Last edited:

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
I found during short haul trips (stop-starting) when the bike is on reserve (i.e. Light flashing) the estimated remaining mileage can be way off. For the first few times starting, the bike will 'restart' the count down and at some point just quit altogether.

BobSill

Aug 4, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta

View attachment 1611

So I carried on until the last bar starting flashing and the light came on...

View attachment 1612

I love that this bike gets nervous when it only has 100 miles left. And panics with lights and flashes at 50.

It really does want to get out there in the wilderness!

View attachment 1613

Full to the brim with an estimated range of 268 miles. I'll take that thank you! :D

Check out that screen glare though
2016 Manual Trans:
310 km to reserve, 375 km to empty (233 miles) back road and HWY riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Nice photo Bob ;)

@Squily .. are we saying that down to 50 miles or so we are confident but any lower than that and its roll-the-dice guesswork? 😂

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Honestly I've never checked. When on an adventure ride we get gas whenever it's available. I do know that with one bar showing I have approx 2 gallons left.

View attachment 1611

So I carried on until the last bar sterted flashing and the light came on...

View attachment 1612

It really does want to get out there in the wilderness! 😂

View attachment 1613

Check out that screen glare though 😂

Aug 16, 2018
UK
I wouldn't know a gallon if you splashed me in the face with it @Graves - let alone know how far I could get with one! 😂

hang on..... Goooooogle...

Ah right. 4.5 litres... no hang on - that's an imperial gallon - you mean US right?

That's 3.7 litres.

Brain ache!

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Ha ha, yea US.

I remember when they tried to convert to the metric system when I was a kid, totally confusing, better to stay with both which is a lot less confusing. ;-)

I wouldn't know a gallon if you splashed me in the face with it @Graves - let alone know how far I could get with one! 😂

hang on..... Goooooogle...

Ah right. 4.5 litres... no hang on - that's an imperial gallon - you mean US right?

That's 3.7 litres.

Brain ache!

Aug 16, 2018
UK
The funny thing is I'm really struggling with the AT telling me about consumption in miles per litre. That means nothing to me.

We track distance in miles not km, fill up using litres but we do consumption in mpg !!!! .. but hang on.. do we mean imperial or US 😂

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Whitworth.

The funny thing is I'm really struggling with the AT telling me about consumption in miles per litre. That means nothing to me.

We track distance in miles not km, fill up using litres but we do consumption in mpg !!!! .. but hang on.. do we mean imperial or US 😂

Squily

Feb 23, 2016
Esperance Western Australia
Nice photo Bob ;)

@Squily .. are we saying that down to 50 miles or so we are confident but any lower than that and its roll-the-dice guesswork? 😂
I take note of the mileage when the light comes on 1st time and add 30miles /50km to my distance as my maximum. Or I use the B trip counter (i.e. Zero it as my reserve counter)

Only applicable in stop-go situations such as commuting or punting around town

Jan 12, 2017
Westminster, CO
I take note of the mileage when the light comes on 1st time and add 30miles /50km to my distance as my maximum. Or I use the B trip counter (i.e. Zero it as my reserve counter)

Only applicable in stop-go situations such as commuting or punting around town
Why not hack the countdown mile clock? I set mine on ~ 175.

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
All said and done, fuel consumption depends on several factors.. A lot of cold starts, idling in traffic, and your cruising speed. I did a trip through Michigan this summer and wanted to make good time on I-75, so I locked onto a pickup truck in a hurry and just tailed them for a long while at 145 KPH or 95 MPH.
Got down in the Flint area and the amber fuel light came on. I found the first exit and gassed up and after only 317 K/M or about 200 miles I had about a litre of fuel remaining or 1/4 gallon. Ride fast and the AT swills gas.

Jan 12, 2017
Westminster, CO
All said and done, fuel consumption depends on several factors.. A lot of cold starts, idling in traffic, and your cruising speed. I did a trip through Michigan this summer and wanted to make good time on I-75, so I locked onto a pickup truck in a hurry and just tailed them for a long while at 145 KPH or 95 MPH.
Got down in the Flint area and the amber fuel light came on. I found the first exit and gassed up and after only 317 K/M or about 200 miles I had about a litre of fuel remaining or 1/4 gallon. Ride fast and the AT swills gas.
Highway +/- headwind is a huge difference. (20%)

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu