I keep losing my plates.

royswwifft

Feb 12, 2019
CA
Not sure if this means I am riding too hard or my suspension is not setup correctly (have a Touratech replacement unit on the back) and set to 55 clicks (SAG about 30% used). I have now lost two plates through rough fire service road riding (yesterday did 120k) and vibration / pothole banging... Has anyone else suffered this problem and if so what solutions have you come up with ? Thanks in advance…

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Not sure if this means I am riding too hard or my suspension is not setup correctly (have a Touratech replacement unit on the back) and set to 55 clicks (SAG about 30% used). I have now lost two plates through rough fire service road riding (yesterday did 120k) and vibration / pothole banging... Has anyone else suffered this problem and if so what solutions have you come up with ? Thanks in advance…

I have never lost a plate..... I think you need some lock tight on them bolts... or an arm workout...

Keep the rubber side down

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Or drill an extra hole in the plate and put a thick zip-tie or wire through to the frame of it somewhere then at least when it falls off it will bang around an make noise till you notice

royswwifft

Feb 12, 2019
CA
Or drill an extra hole in the plate and put a thick zip-tie or wire through to the frame of it somewhere then at least when it falls off it will bang around an make noise till you notice

Excellent idea but not a solution

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Excellent idea but not a solution

I would say red lock-tight or nylock nuts is your best bet, if you need to change the plate a bic lighter for a minute or so will take em right back off

royswwifft

Feb 12, 2019
CA
I would say red lock-tight or nylock nuts is your best bet, if you need to change the plate a bic lighter for a minute or so will take em right back off

Bic lighter?

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
For removing lock-tighted bolts all you need is a little heat

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Heat a bolt up and it softens the lock-tight if you wanted to change plates in the future

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Just use RED OR BLUE lock tight even though red says "permanent" it is not with heat..., DO NOT use GREEN because green really is "pretty damn permanent"

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
Also green is more meant for bearing and shaft retention than bolt lock-tight

Kent33

May 11, 2020
Kent

I use a flexible plate

eBay item number 392623585966

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RItwin

Gold Rider
Jul 31, 2018
R.I. USA
I would but that would be illegal in my state and most states I ride in....

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Get rid of that silly license plate bracket and bolt it directly to the plastic with nyloc nuts.

Reactions: livingwellcfr

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu