Lane splitting legal in Utah.

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
Admin. They are to be congratulated because they are the 1st state to actually have a law on the books. California statute is silent on it, but the way their laws read if something is not specifically addresses in statute, it is permitted.

Reactions: Admin

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I don't agree with lane splitting. A motorcycle is a vehicle on the road and is entitled to an entire traffic lane but if you allow lane splitting (sharing a traffic lane with another vehicle) then a motorcycle is no longer entitled to an entire traffic lane.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
You're just not used to it. Being a So Cal native it seems almost unnatural not to be able to do it when in other states. I for one don't want to be a sitting duck in traffic, hoping that the car behind me sees me and doesn't drive me into the back of the car in front of me. When I had the Goldwing my wife didn't want me to split lanes, I was almost rear-ended several times, I mean like screeching tires and a fender showing up at my side close.

I don't agree with lane splitting. A motorcycle is a vehicle on the road and is entitled to an entire traffic lane but if you allow lane splitting (sharing a traffic lane with another vehicle) then a motorcycle is no longer entitled to an entire traffic lane.

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Rider
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I s

I see where you’re coming from on this and understand it whole heartedly. As a rider who learned how to ride in a state that wasn’t legal to lane split/share it was a strange a foreign concept when I relocated to California. I felt like I had to relearn and adopt to the culture but it’s been extremely positive and rewarding as a motorcyclist in California.

The traffic in SoCal and California in general is extremely bad that you as a motorcyclist don’t want to sit in traffic due to high risk of being rear ended or have your bike overheated if it’s air cooled. Like @Graves says it’s safer to keep moving and you’d be surprised how many cagers move and make room for you when they see you splitting/sharing. Law enforcement highly supports lane splitting for riders when it’s executed in a safe manner even though it’s not technically in the California books like @vfmoore says.

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
They are working on lane splitting here in Oregon, but not sure of where it will go. If it passes, it is not the action of the motorcycles that is of concern to me, but rather the unaware automobile that is not expecting the bike. In CA, as with many countries around the globe, the car drivers are anticipating it, but not so here. Steep learning curve!

Reactions: SoCalEddie

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Very very true.

They are working on lane splitting here in Oregon, but not sure of where it will go. If it passes, it is not the action of the motorcycles that is of concern to me, but rather the unaware automobile that is not expecting the bike. In CA, as with many countries around the globe, the car drivers are anticipating it, but not so here. Steep learning curve!

Rroot82

Apr 15, 2019
Utah
Just FYI, it is not splitting that will be legal, but lane filtering. Must be a 2 lane road with speed limit 45mph or less, traffic must be stopped, and then you can proceed at no more than 15mph. I for one will not be partaking for the first while when it is allowed. Im going to wait and see how people deal with this change. I have seen posts of people threatening to open doors etc if they see it happening. :oops:.

mmuch

May 28, 2019
San Jose, California
I prefer to refer to this topic as "Lane Sharing", but I respect opposing opinion. Living in Northern California, the traffic is completely congested. I share lanes with caution at a reasonable speed, as my objective is to always get home safely and have dinner with my family. I regularly lane share in a group with CA Highway Patrol and local police officers on any given commute to or from work. This is almost exclusively on the Highway and not on local city streets. Again, I am not one to dispute other motorcyclists thoughts, but in my world, this is just standard 30 year daily practice.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Ya, once in a while I get behind LAPD motor officers going and coming from work, those guys are the model of safe lane splitting, only a cracked up stunt rider could go faster.

I prefer to refer to this topic as "Lane Sharing", but I respect opposing opinion. Living in Northern California, the traffic is completely congested. I share lanes with caution at a reasonable speed, as my objective is to always get home safely and have dinner with my family. I regularly lane share in a group with CA Highway Patrol and local police officers on any given commute to or from work. This is almost exclusively on the Highway and not on local city streets. Again, I am not one to dispute other motorcyclists thoughts, but in my world, this is just standard 30 year daily practice.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu