Lane splitting legal in Utah.

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
Admin. They are to be congratulated because they are the 1st state to actually have a law on the books. California statute is silent on it, but the way their laws read if something is not specifically addresses in statute, it is permitted.

Reactions: Admin

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
I don't agree with lane splitting. A motorcycle is a vehicle on the road and is entitled to an entire traffic lane but if you allow lane splitting (sharing a traffic lane with another vehicle) then a motorcycle is no longer entitled to an entire traffic lane.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
You're just not used to it. Being a So Cal native it seems almost unnatural not to be able to do it when in other states. I for one don't want to be a sitting duck in traffic, hoping that the car behind me sees me and doesn't drive me into the back of the car in front of me. When I had the Goldwing my wife didn't want me to split lanes, I was almost rear-ended several times, I mean like screeching tires and a fender showing up at my side close.

I don't agree with lane splitting. A motorcycle is a vehicle on the road and is entitled to an entire traffic lane but if you allow lane splitting (sharing a traffic lane with another vehicle) then a motorcycle is no longer entitled to an entire traffic lane.

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Rider
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I s

I see where you’re coming from on this and understand it whole heartedly. As a rider who learned how to ride in a state that wasn’t legal to lane split/share it was a strange a foreign concept when I relocated to California. I felt like I had to relearn and adopt to the culture but it’s been extremely positive and rewarding as a motorcyclist in California.

The traffic in SoCal and California in general is extremely bad that you as a motorcyclist don’t want to sit in traffic due to high risk of being rear ended or have your bike overheated if it’s air cooled. Like @Graves says it’s safer to keep moving and you’d be surprised how many cagers move and make room for you when they see you splitting/sharing. Law enforcement highly supports lane splitting for riders when it’s executed in a safe manner even though it’s not technically in the California books like @vfmoore says.

Reactions: SHUMBA

vfmoore

Gold Rider
Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
They are working on lane splitting here in Oregon, but not sure of where it will go. If it passes, it is not the action of the motorcycles that is of concern to me, but rather the unaware automobile that is not expecting the bike. In CA, as with many countries around the globe, the car drivers are anticipating it, but not so here. Steep learning curve!

Reactions: SoCalEddie

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Very very true.

They are working on lane splitting here in Oregon, but not sure of where it will go. If it passes, it is not the action of the motorcycles that is of concern to me, but rather the unaware automobile that is not expecting the bike. In CA, as with many countries around the globe, the car drivers are anticipating it, but not so here. Steep learning curve!

Rroot82

Apr 15, 2019
Utah
Just FYI, it is not splitting that will be legal, but lane filtering. Must be a 2 lane road with speed limit 45mph or less, traffic must be stopped, and then you can proceed at no more than 15mph. I for one will not be partaking for the first while when it is allowed. Im going to wait and see how people deal with this change. I have seen posts of people threatening to open doors etc if they see it happening. :oops:.

mmuch

May 28, 2019
San Jose, California
I prefer to refer to this topic as "Lane Sharing", but I respect opposing opinion. Living in Northern California, the traffic is completely congested. I share lanes with caution at a reasonable speed, as my objective is to always get home safely and have dinner with my family. I regularly lane share in a group with CA Highway Patrol and local police officers on any given commute to or from work. This is almost exclusively on the Highway and not on local city streets. Again, I am not one to dispute other motorcyclists thoughts, but in my world, this is just standard 30 year daily practice.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Ya, once in a while I get behind LAPD motor officers going and coming from work, those guys are the model of safe lane splitting, only a cracked up stunt rider could go faster.

I prefer to refer to this topic as "Lane Sharing", but I respect opposing opinion. Living in Northern California, the traffic is completely congested. I share lanes with caution at a reasonable speed, as my objective is to always get home safely and have dinner with my family. I regularly lane share in a group with CA Highway Patrol and local police officers on any given commute to or from work. This is almost exclusively on the Highway and not on local city streets. Again, I am not one to dispute other motorcyclists thoughts, but in my world, this is just standard 30 year daily practice.

Reactions: Sled_C and SHUMBA

Sled_C

Sep 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
In Oz my state of queensland was the first to allow lane spitting 12 months ago. Ive had tintops screeching up behind me on numerous occasions. Everyone is on the f#@ken phone even though theres a $1000 fine if your caught. Anyhow i welcome the rule. What also buggs me is motorcyclists who ignore the 30kph speed limit and dickheads with obnoxiously loud exhaust revving while filtering. Theres a time and place for everything but some motorcyclists dont get it. Have you ever travelled threw Asia? ha

Last edited:

Sled_C

Sep 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
In a funny kinda twist. I was in a hurry to get my previous post out because I was picking up my tintop from the stealership. While I was the in the waiting room I saw this front page article, lol

Attachments

• IMG_8651.JPG
    IMG_8651.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Honda-50 and SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
In Oz my state of queensland was the first to allow lane spitting 12 months ago. Ive had tintops screeching up behind me on numerous occasions. Everyone is on the f#@ken phone even though theres a $1000 fine if your caught. Anyhow i welcome the rule. What also buggs me is motorcyclists who ignore the 30kph speed limit and dickheads with obnoxiously loud exhaust revving while filtering. Theres a time and place for everything but some motorcyclists dont get it. Have you ever travelled threw Asia? ha
Agree, here in (backwards Canada) lane splitting is not possible, nor permitted. Our "entitled cagers" here would make a point to prohibit a motorcycle to lane split.
With police intervention this would result in being charged with careless driving. Our licensing standards in Ontario, Canada are to say the least, abysmal. Gotta pulse here's your license...
Having said, I occasionally use a technique to get ahead of traffic.
If there is a right hand (western world) lane, and if this RH lane is vacant I will ride to the traffic light or stop sign and wait for the light to go green....then with a quick left - right shoulder check, accelerate and get ahead of the string of traffic. Some idiot cagers will try to chase you...ha ha...good luck with that.
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sled_C

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA

Sorry, I strongly disagree with you.
SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
I s

I see where you’re coming from on this and understand it whole heartedly. As a rider who learned how to ride in a state that wasn’t legal to lane split/share it was a strange a foreign concept when I relocated to California. I felt like I had to relearn and adopt to the culture but it’s been extremely positive and rewarding as a motorcyclist in California.

The traffic in SoCal and California in general is extremely bad that you as a motorcyclist don’t want to sit in traffic due to high risk of being rear ended or have your bike overheated if it’s air cooled. Like @Graves says it’s safer to keep moving and you’d be surprised how many cagers move and make room for you when they see you splitting/sharing. Law enforcement highly supports lane splitting for riders when it’s executed in a safe manner even though it’s not technically in the California books like @vfmoore says.
Lucky you SCal riders...in Ontario Canada cagers would deliberately move to prevent you from lane splitting.
SHUMBA

Sled_C

Sep 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Lucky you SCal riders...in Ontario Canada cagers would deliberately move to prevent you from lane splitting.
SHUMBA

Yeh sometimes its like that here too.... Ive been motorcycling since 1975 and i realise theres a lot of personal factors that come into play, even before you look at the tin tops. That's just the start/nature of long term survival on a motorcycle i guess.

Last edited:

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Disagreement and debate is a good thing!

No apology necessary

:)
Agree, so long as we can see each others ideas and understand their point of view.
Although we cannot legally lane split or filter here in Canada, I would certainly like to see some changes. For the most part, Canada is an under populated nation with only 35 million people.
California has a greater population than does Canada. Having said, approximately 80% of Canada's population lives in the most southern parts of the provinces, read close to the U.S. border. Toronto and Montreal, along with Vancouver have traffic congestion. My main reason for being in favour of filtering is to avoid being rear ended by a cager. A lot of drivers are totally distracted (read cell phones) and clearly not paying attention, combined with an aging population its a bad recipe for the roads making it potentially hazardous particularly for us two wheeled creatures. When stopped behind traffic or stopped at a light, be sure to monitor your mirrors. Don't stop too close to the vehicle in front of you so you can execute plan A or B, that is quickly move left or right to avoid a rear end collision. I wear a hi-viz vest over my riding jacket.
SHUMBA

Reactions: Sled_C

Sled_C

Sep 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
When stopped behind traffic or stopped at a light, be sure to monitor your mirrors. Don't stop too close to the vehicle in front of you so you can execute plan A or B, that is quickly move left or right to avoid a rear end collision. I wear a hi-viz vest over my riding jacket.
SHUMBA

Yes wise words. Before i sold my last bike I took off the skene rear visibility leds and plan on installing them on the AT real soon. These have great options and are twice as bright. The front end of my 19 includes "position lights or DRL's" but i find them piss weak so I purchased barkbuster DRLs, these are mounted to the barkbuster plastics.
Sorry for going off topic.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu