• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2021!

Left hand switch gear

Jan 31, 2016
Manchester UK
the SET button on my left hand switch became jammed and unusable the other day, after 700 miles

WD 40 couldn't free it and neither could mechanics at dealers

No replacement switches in UK so dealer agreed to take one off a demo bike

Next day switch working again.

Tested over 200 times and seems fine again so leaving it alone, and hoping it was just a gremlin that's gone.

jimbo

Mar 2, 2016
stanthorpe qld
the SET button on my left hand switch became jammed and unusable the other day, after 700 miles

Tested over 200 times and seems fine again so leaving it alone, and hoping it was just a gremlin that's gone.

jimbo

Mar 2, 2016
stanthorpe qld
yeah, I don't get that one yet, I have std version & all those 2 switches seem to do is toggle from temp to a second trip meter or timer or something. Seems like a waste of switch space but whatever doesn't bother me too much just don't know where/when I would use it

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
yeah, I don't get that one yet, I have std version & all those 2 switches seem to do is toggle from temp to a second trip meter or timer or something. Seems like a waste of switch space but whatever doesn't bother me too much just don't know where/when I would use it

I read the owners manual last night and it seems it's just a selector and confirm button for setting things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
You got a MT or DCT?
Some serious claims and report in regards to the DCT switch gears sticking and causing some massive problems on another forum.

Posiden

May 25, 2015
The English Lake District
Mines a manual and ive seen the write up from a UK rider who nearly looped it in the middle town.
I put it down to being new but i really hope we dont discover this bike has been built down to a budget using cheap parts.
Theres already issues with heated grips, sticky switch gear and sloppy chains?

Washryc

Jan 27, 2016
Dresden
I have not seen reports on the chain until your post. A lot of Aussie riders have done well over 1000km and not mentioned anything. Could be one off. Time will tell I guess.

Jan 31, 2016
Manchester UK
What's a sloppy chain?

Cleaned mine today and noticed D.I.D stamped on it so not a cheap option.

I've put 950, all weather, miles on AT in last 5 weeks.

I replaced chain on my BMW F800GS with a D.I.D chain as the originals were snapping, BMW refunded eventually.

With a brand new model there are always issues.

BMW R1200GS LC forum had cam chains snapping and dropping in gear box locking it all up. There seemed to be quite a few but turned out to be hardly any world wide.

I trust any issues will be sorted fairly quickly as this bike is a massive deal for Honda.

Posiden

May 25, 2015
Fair comments and time will tell but ive always been careful with chains on bikes with a lot of suspension travel as its easy to get it a little bit to tight.
On the ride today it became noticeably snatchy through town which was disappointing as the drive was so smooth before that.

Tim Harrison

Oct 22, 2015
Nottingham UK
Fair comments and time will tell but ive always been careful with chains on bikes with a lot of suspension travel as its easy to get it a little bit to tight.
On the ride today it became noticeably snatchy through town which was disappointing as the drive was so smooth before that.

What do you mean "snatchy"?

Tim Harrison

Oct 22, 2015
Nottingham UK
I have a black DCT beast, like every beast sometimes it can bite even its owner. So with the handful of reports of issues with the DCT and being my first DCT bike as well as only three years riding experience under my belt this is what I'm doing until told otherwise by Honda.

Left switch/ right switch water issues...
Brought some white grease and filling the insides, the poorly positioned ECU joints will get covered as will any electronic components to the bike.

Front mud guard lose bolt...
Removed and redone with lock tight.

Hopefully the reports of wild AT are only "one offs" and although I was worried about these issues I will hope that my beast will look after its owner

Reactions: Washryc

Posiden

May 25, 2015
What do you mean "snatchy"?

"snatchy" = when you wind on the throttle and there is a millisecond time lag between the twist of the throttle and then a little jolt as the chain takes up the slack. My XTz was really prone to it but made all the worse because the cush drives are made the wrong sort of rubber and are as much use as ill fitting blocks of wood.

Reactions: Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

Oct 22, 2015
Nottingham UK
"snatchy" = when you wind on the throttle and there is a millisecond time lag between the twist of the throttle and then a little jolt as the chain takes up the slack. My XTz was really prone to it but made all the worse because the cush drives are made the wrong sort of rubber and are as much use as ill fitting blocks of wood.

Thanks

McMann

May 20, 2015
Jefferson, GA (U.S.A.)
Make sure your throttle free-play is adjusted to a minimum (test by moving the bars side-to-side) while running. Factory settings seem to be on the loose side.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Switch sets can be revived by removing them from the bars, flushing with WD40 and blowing out. It’s really a maintenance thing, should be done every once in a while. Just like lubing cables, levers and throttle tubes.

As for chains: I’ve found that even though the factory uses brand name chains, they are of lesser quality than the same brand’s premium offerings. For example, on my XR650R the factory chain was a DID x ring chain that only lasted a yea. Knowing that DID premium chains last forever I replaced with the ERV gold chain and it lasted until I sold the bike 9 years later, and I rode the hell out of the thing. I even considered installing a new chain on my new AT, it will save the expense of having to replace sprockets when the chain goes south after the warranty is up.

Soul Tonic

Aug 20, 2016
Hout Bay

With 2000kms on the clock, I had the same problem. After the first wash my SET button was stuck in the depressed position.
I took it to the Honda dealer and they opened the switch. The mechanic commented on the stupid un-Honda like design.
The switch got a heavier spring and a proper lube with a special lubricant. Let's see how long it lasts. Maybe a recall is necessary at some point.

Soul Tonic Motorcycle Adventures - Spirit of the open Road

Soul Tonic

Aug 20, 2016
Hout Bay
With 2000kms on the clock, I had the same problem. After the first wash my SET button was stuck in the depressed position.
I took it to the Honda dealer and they opened the switch. The mechanic commented on the stupid un-Honda like design.
The switch got a heavier spring and a proper lube with a special lubricant. Let's see how long it lasts. Maybe a recall is necessary at some point.

Http://Instagram.com/soul_tonic_motorcycles

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu