Lowered AT, questions

ak864

Dec 8, 2018
USA
I bought a 2017 AT a couple weeks ago; it was lowered at the dealership. I really didn’t want the bike lowered, but the dealer didn’t want to spend the money on removing the kit — my 31” inseam was okay with this. At some point I will want to raise the bike back to it’s original hight.
The dealer couldn’t remember the specifics of what kit was used. He said it was European and started with an L. I’m thinking Lust Racing. Looking at the shock linkage, it appears that that’s all stock. I’m thinking that the spring retainer on the rear shock was replaced with one from Lust to lower the bike.
My question, after all that, is: has anyone had experience with this type of lowering kit? Also, has anyone disassembled the rear shock? I’m curious as to what the OEM spring retainer looks like.
Loving the AT by the way! I traded an NC700X for it.

fjrden1

Aug 1, 2018
GB
I bought a 2017 AT a couple weeks ago; it was lowered at the dealership. I really didn’t want the bike lowered, but the dealer didn’t want to spend the money on removing the kit — my 31” inseam was okay with this. At some point I will want to raise the bike back to it’s original hight.
The dealer couldn’t remember the specifics of what kit was used. He said it was European and started with an L. I’m thinking Lust Racing. Looking at the shock linkage, it appears that that’s all stock. I’m thinking that the spring retainer on the rear shock was replaced with one from Lust to lower the bike.
My question, after all that, is: has anyone had experience with this type of lowering kit? Also, has anyone disassembled the rear shock? I’m curious as to what the OEM spring retainer looks like.
Lust Engineering. Google they both lower and heighten bikes easily

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
The spring retainer is a hat that fits over two half circles against the shock shaft head. Sorry, that’s the best I can do to explain it. I’ll see if I can find a pic online.

fjrden1

Aug 1, 2018
GB
Would a shock need taking out of bike for this? Any special tools do you think

ak864

Dec 8, 2018
USA
Thanks Graves, looks like I just need to pull the shock absorber, compress the spring, remove the kit, and put the two half-circle pieces in its place. Then put the forks back at stock position.

ak864

Dec 8, 2018
USA
Would a shock need taking out of bike for this? Any special tools do you think

I took the shock out; I couldn’t see being able to compress the spring with the shock in the bike. If I had to do it again, I’d wrap the pretty red spring with a rag. I scuffed it up badly during removal/installation. The bike is now back to its stock height, forks too.
As for special tools, I used two ratchet straps to compress the spring; there are a few good videos on YouTube that show how it’s done.
Getting the shock out and in takes some finagling with the jack and swing arm.

Reactions: fjrden1

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Ya, rags might have helped... might. I was able to take a chunk of the power coat on my new spring with the ratchet strap spring compressing method, even with rags.

I took the shock out; I couldn’t see being able to compress the spring with the shock in the bike. If I had to do it again, I’d wrap the pretty red spring with a rag. I scuffed it up badly during removal/installation. The bike is now back to its stock height, forks too.
As for special tools, I used two ratchet straps to compress the spring; there are a few good videos on YouTube that show how it’s done.
Getting the shock out and in takes some finagling with the jack and swing arm.

Reactions: ak864

ak864

Dec 8, 2018
USA
Now it's done how are you getting on with it

I’m getting on well with the bike. I did the work yesterday then took it for a short ride. There will be times when I miss the lowering kit. If it’s close quarters, parking in a tight spot, I’ll just have to dismount and put the bike where I want it to be. I’ll install a center stand and crash bars as soon as they arrive.

Reactions: fjrden1

fjrden1

Aug 1, 2018
GB
I ended up buying the Lust lowering device at £79. I've decided against this after reading this line of conversation. So it's up for sale please check it out at Lust racing for the ATAS 2018. If you would like it first come with reasonable offer by Friday 28th December.

Merry Christmas everyone

Denis

fjrden1

Aug 1, 2018
GB
I ended up buying the Lust lowering device at £79. I've decided against this after reading this line of conversation. So it's up for sale please check it out at Lust racing for the ATAS 2018. If you would like it first come with reasonable offer by Friday 28th December.

Merry Christmas everyone

Denis

Anybody willing to give me a bid please.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu