Midwest riders where are you

Kevin A

Aug 28, 2015
Black River Falls, Wisconsin
Looking to find other riders in the Northern Midwest who are interested in this bike. There are tons of rides in Wisconsin that combine paved and off road options. The best thing about this bike is it really appeals to those of us in smaller towns. There is always a Honda dealer nearby to get work done. KTM, BMW, and other "exotic" adv bikes have to drive hours to get appropriate service. Waiting patiently to see this bike in the dealership.

Reactions: Admin and Fujiyama

toxicadrenaline53

Sep 18, 2015
Wisconsin
waiting to see this bike in my garage! putting a down payment on one tomorrow. im in wisconsin...

Kevin A

Aug 28, 2015
Where/Who is taking down payments? In western Wisconsin dealers will call when the AT is available for order. $500 place holder here but only taken when order or allotment is known. Late October is what I was told to expect. It's not like a dealer to take money before they know if they can deliver

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
Most of the dealers I have talked to don't even have a clue about the Africa Twin. I'm educating them on the damn bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: toxicadrenaline53

toxicadrenaline53

Sep 18, 2015
Wisconsin
I'm in eastern Wisconsin. I've done a lot of business with team over the last 10 years and so has my family. They said they'll be getting one or two so I'm gettin a jump on it.

Reactions: Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
May 13, 2015
Most of the dealers I have talked to don't even have a clue about the Africa Twin. I'm educating them on the damn bike!

Reactions: toxicadrenaline53

Kevin A

Aug 28, 2015
I was being sarcastic regarding dealers taking down payments ahead of known stock, HD dealers around here have charged $1000 to get on a waiting list for highly sought out bike and that doesn't apply to the price. If someone has an established "in" with a dealer more power to you. If the hype transmits into sales this will be like the Honda Pilot in 2002 with people lining up to pay MSRP. Now at my local dealership most of the bikes are 5-10% off due to the time of year. My dealer is looking forward to the AT as they feel Honda have been in a design rut at least in the US. They like the idea not only from a sales standpoint but the increase in customer base for service and accessories.

Reactions: Admin

toxicadrenaline53

Sep 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Regardless I cannot wait to get mine.

fredjohnson

Sep 7, 2017
Minnesota
Looking to find other riders in the Northern Midwest who are interested in this bike. There are tons of rides in Wisconsin that combine paved and off road options. The best thing about this bike is it really appeals to those of us in smaller towns. There is always a Honda dealer nearby to get work done. KTM, BMW, and other "exotic" adv bikes have to drive hours to get appropriate service. Waiting patiently to see this bike in the dealership.

I"m in the Minneapolis suburbs. Bought an AT this year. Was so busy at work and such only put 200 miles on it then I had to go to Spain for a month, where I still am. If you are in Wisconsin, maybe we can get together some day. I still need to buy some saddle bags and a rack maybe.

Mitch

Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
Eastern Iowa.....Home to more miles of gravel roads than any other state in the USA.

(Also the home of ethanol....I'm sorry!)

Reactions: Juice

Mitch

Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
I stand corrected.....

Here's the USDOT 2012 Report - Miles of unpaved roads

Top 10
1. Kansas - 99,572
2. Texas - 90,617
3. Illinois - 74,388
4. Minnesota - 72,801
5. Iowa - 71,622
6. North Dakota - 69,630
7. Nebraska - 68,220
8. South Dakota - 61,588
9. Arkansas - 56,847
10. Missouri - 56,704

Kansas has yet another thing to add to their long list of bragging rights o_O

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Kansas for the win!!!

What is really cool is most of the almost all them are in nice 1x1 mile sections...makes for some exciting riding! (not)

Mitch

Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
Iowa is much the same. However, in my section, which is the NE part of the state, we have some very pretty, winding, rolling, hilly, wooded areas. I like it!

Reactions: Juice

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Kansas I am sure wins for the most miles of completely flat, straight and uninteresting dirt roads

There is a reason why KTM has held 3 of its last 5 Adventure Rider Rallies in Colorado and none in Kansas. Just sayin’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro. Random autocorrects and typos are my special gift to you.

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
One thing that would be interesting to know, would be the totals if you add in FS, BLM and logging roads. The list in the link posted by Belrix excludes them, but there are a slew of them around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro. Random autocorrects and typos are my special gift to you.

Mitch

Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
On this topic......I just read an interesting article in Triumph's publication "For The Ride". It was Part 3 of a series of articles about a young German woman who road her Triumph Tiger around the world. One of the things she noted that jumped out at me.....In just about every part of the world there were beautiful places and there were boring places. She said one of the most mundane long stretches she rode was on the legendary road through Patagonia and down to Ushaia. She said there were long desolate and boring sections of that ride, and yet she began to really appreciate the beauty that was all its own. She also developed a real appreciation for the opportunity for long stretches of quiet meditation.

I grew up in Northern California, about 45 minutes from some of the most beautiful beaches, about 2 hours from the desert, and about 3 hours from the Sierra Nevada mountains. It was a gorgeous place to grow up. By a long boring set of circumstances I ended up in the Midwest, first in Missouri, then Kansas, and now Iowa. I used to tell people I was going deeper and deeper into the bowels of rural America.......But I tell you sincerely, I love Iowa. It has a beauty all its own, the people are terrific, and it has a great quality of life. I can jump on an airplane and be anywhere in the country in a few hours, or anywhere in the world in a day. So I don't mind living here in Iowa......Plus, as I posted earlier on this forum, there are some back roads and gravel roads in NE Iowa that are truly beautiful.

Anyway.......The point of this post, that German young lady said no matter where you live or go, you can and will find beautiful places to ride. Just get out there and ride. Good advice.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu