• Thank you again for being a part of this community of riders and enthusiasts at africatwin.org. We can't say thank you enough to our donors this year. We're wishing everyone a happy holiday season and happy 2020!

Motoz Tractionator Adventure's Installed!

Corki

Jul 26, 2017
Southeast England
Nice one, its always a good sense of achievement when you manage to conquer the unknown. How did you balance the wheels?

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Rider
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Nicely done! They fit the bike nicely and from the photos, it looks like those tires can take a beating and will get you home.

belrix

Nov 2, 2015
SouthEast Kansas
Thanks for the replies!

I used a 140/80-18 on the rear because I had read that the 150/70-18 was hard to mount and the 140-80/18 was closer to stock diameter.

I used the zip tie trick to compress the tire after it was over the first rim of the tire and the tube was installed. The tire sidewalls are tough but 3 big zip ties spaced 6" apart allowed me to compress the tire enough to allow it to slip over the second rim. Then it was just a matter of spooning the rest of the tire over the rim. Somehow I managed to not pinch the tube!

The front wheel was actually more of a challenge than the rear because of the narrow width and trying to fish the value stem through, guess I need a value stem fishing tool.

I used the Motion Pro Bead Breaker to break the bead and spoon the tire on and off (with a set of rim protectors) and some tire mounting lube. I need to get another spoon, it is possible with two but three would be handy.

For balancing I used CounterAct beads. I used them on my NC700X and I feel they work OK and might make knobby tires wear a little more evenly. Installing the beads through the valve stem is a time consuming process!

Brian

Reactions: Admin

glcruiser

Oct 5, 2017
Yelm, WA
Interesting - The Honda dealer I bought my '17 AT told me that no one balances their tires as the wheel weights just fling off, and spoke weights are not used anymore. Thanks for the referral on CounterAct beads - just ordered some from Amazon.

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
My '17 had spoke weights on it when I bought it new, but they seem to be hard to find. The wheel centers are flat so I used stick-on weights when I changed tires. Don't see how they're going to fling off if the wheel was clean when attached.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

bdalameda

Nov 16, 2019
Salinas, California
Another way to balance spoke wheels is to buy a roll of silver solder as plumbers use. You can cut pieces and coil around the spoke nipples and spokes. It is easily trimmed to adjust weight as needed. This is what we used in the old days for balancing wheels. Works great.

T2AZZ

Sep 1, 2019
Arizona
Interesting - The Honda dealer I bought my '17 AT told me that no one balances their tires as the wheel weights just fling off, and spoke weights are not used anymore. Thanks for the referral on CounterAct beads - just ordered some from Amazon.
That’s funny, my 2019 ATAS came with spoke weights...

glcruiser

Oct 5, 2017
Yelm, WA
That’s funny, my 2019 ATAS came with spoke weights...
Update: I added 2 ounces of the Counteract beads to the front and rear tires (as recommended). Took a 20 mile ride and noticed the difference - bike felt more planted on turns, and it felt like the suspension was more relaxed/smoother. Hard to describe, but I feel the $20 was worth the price.

glcruiser

Oct 5, 2017
Yelm, WA
Update: I added 2 ounces of the Counteract beads to the front and rear tires (as recommended). Took a 20 mile ride and noticed the difference - bike felt more planted on turns, and it felt like the suspension was more relaxed/smoother. Hard to describe, but I feel the $20 was worth the price.
The dealership I purchased my 2017 AT DCT from has closed down, along with several others in Western Washington. I made the wheel balancing inquiry to the service department just before it closed down for good. Bad advice from a poorly run dealership. Here's hoping you all have better sales and service where you purchased yours.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/local-business/5-local-motorcycle-dealerships-abruptly-closed-by-their-owner-a-microsoft-executive/

BobSill

Aug 4, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
My dealer puts Honda's RideOn in all their bikes now. I have had it in for well over a year with problems with high speed and backroad
(Dempster HWY) riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shredder

Sep 22, 2017
Canada
Another way to balance spoke wheels is to buy a roll of silver solder as plumbers use. You can cut pieces and coil around the spoke nipples and spokes. It is easily trimmed to adjust weight as needed. This is what we used in the old days for balancing wheels. Works great.
OMG! Come on, really?? You spend $10,000 - $20,000 on a bike and resort to this backyard non-sense?

Reactions: Yulinbilla

T2AZZ

Sep 1, 2019
Arizona
I modified the rear wheel for tubeless and just put 3oz of eztirebeads in the rear tire. I’ll let you know how it does next weekend.

On a side note, I haven’t made up my mind about going tubeless on the front yet.

bdalameda

Nov 16, 2019
Salinas, California
OMG! Come on, really?? You spend $10,000 - $20,000 on a bike and resort to this backyard non-sense?
Non-sense? - not much different than clamping a weight on the spokes or sticking weights on the rim. It's simple and can be done very cleanly just coiling the solder around the spoke nipple very neatly, hardly noticeable too. Very easy to get an exact weight also. I've seen some pretty expensive bikes with spoked wheels balanced using this "old-school" method. This way of balancing spoked wheels has been around for many years. I've done it on my flat track bikes and road racers many times when I used to race back in the 70's and 80's. I've been wrenching on bikes for 50 years - definitely not a "non-sense" way to do this, but a proven and acceptable method. Obviously you are not very experienced or you would know about this. I also restore vintage motorcycles for a hobby - I've seen $100K plus valued immaculate classic bikes with this type of wheel balancing used. Just because you don't know about it does not make it bad.

Reactions: HerrDeacon

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu