My 2020 Africa Twin A/S

Jayzonk

Gold Rider
Jun 7, 2021
Southwest Ontario, Canada
Wasn't sure about the black Adventure Sport model, mainly because I've always liked the tri-color white/red/blue and the red/white/black schemes. There were a couple of leftover black ones on the dealership floor in SW Ontario, and the difference over a 2021 model was really significant...about $2500 if memory serves me correctly. The dealer told me to keep an open mind about the color because a few accessories added would really make a difference. So I did that...I added OEM upper crash bars and engine crash bars and the black tank knee pads, and I find the finished product quite pleasing but the crash bars do make it look a little busy, I find. Stripping the panniers, and adding a black exhaust might prove interesting, but, as of now, I like it wayyyy too much to alter it.
Finding it more pleasing to ride than my previous R1200GS. Much tighter turning radius, better slow speed maneuvering, and a way way WAY smoother, more linear engine. Upshifting is really smooth, and downshifting is..well....so so so smooth. Absolutely lovely.

Attachments

• Detailed Dealer Oct 1 - Copy.jpg
    Detailed Dealer Oct 1 - Copy.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: belrix and SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Wasn't sure about the black Adventure Sport model, mainly because I've always liked the tri-color white/red/blue and the red/white/black schemes. There were a couple of leftover black ones on the dealership floor in SW Ontario, and the difference over a 2021 model was really significant...about $2500 if memory serves me correctly. The dealer told me to keep an open mind about the color because a few accessories added would really make a difference. So I did that...I added OEM upper crash bars and engine crash bars and the black tank knee pads, and I find the finished product quite pleasing but the crash bars do make it look a little busy, I find. Stripping the panniers, and adding a black exhaust might prove interesting, but, as of now, I like it wayyyy too much to alter it.
Finding it more pleasing to ride than my previous R1200GS. Much tighter turning radius, better slow speed maneuvering, and a way way WAY smoother, more linear engine. Upshifting is really smooth, and downshifting is..well....so so so smooth. Absolutely lovely.
Sounds as tho you have made your bike tailored to suit your needs.
I had a 2016 AT clutch model, great bike, then a Super Tenere for two seasons.. in South Western Ontario.
Now, I'm riding a 2020 Africa Twin DCT non adventure model...lovin it!
Add ons, extra LED'S, SW Motech tail plate and SW Motech crash bars.
A PC8 power distribution system to power the LED'S and the 12 volt handle bar outlet to power my GPS.
The battery tender plug is shared with my heated vest.
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jayzonk

Jayzonk

Gold Rider
Jun 7, 2021
Wow, send a pic? Where did you pick it up? I went with Stratford again...my go-to shop for bikes. Jamie is such an experienced mechanic. I'd be hard-pressed to go elsewhere.
Where did you mount the LED's?
I had no idea you could run a heated vest off a battery tender plug. Is it the standard plug?

Reactions: SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Wow, send a pic? Where did you pick it up? I went with Stratford again...my go-to shop for bikes. Jamie is such an experienced mechanic. I'd be hard-pressed to go elsewhere.
Where did you mount the LED's?
I had no idea you could run a heated vest off a battery tender plug. Is it the standard plug?
Using right angle black painted brackets from CTC I mounted the LED lights on the crash bars.
The LED lights are from Ideal Supply in Stratford, but they have stores in various locations...the lights are 3,450 lumens each...great as DRL lights and extremely bright at night to light up the ditches....don't recommend night riding tho. Be sure to install an on/off switch.
Or, wire them into the hi-beams.
Bought the bike @ Hully as John and I were unable to come to terms.
I traded in my 2018 Super Tenere for a new 2020 AT DCT non adventure model.
And yes, Jamie, John's brother is a great mechanic, as he just installed a new Chain and rear pads @ 25,000 kms
SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Good morning Jayzonk,
SW Ontario dealer for Honda, not sure where U mean.
I finally figured out how to send pics on this forum.
As you are aware, the non adventure model has tubes....hence a rear flet tyre necessitated a ride home via CAA plus...This is the second last Monday nite bike nite behind city hall in Stratford Ontario, the old and the new...owner lives in London Ontario
SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
My solution for doing trips....in addition to the rear plastic $100. waterproof tail box, I use a soft bag with a shower cap and a $40. @ Winners back pack works for me.
SHUMBA

Jayzonk

Gold Rider
Jun 7, 2021
Are you putting the shower cap over the soft inner bag or stretching it over the outer pannier?
I really like the pelican case top box! Where did you get it and how did you mount it?
A good friend of mine has been going to the monday nigjt Stratford gathering all year. I will try to get there next summer.

Reactions: SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
The "shower cap" fits over top of the soft tail bag, and held firmly in place using the cinch cord.
I believe I got the plastic 35 litre tail box from Ebay.
I bought SW Motech tail plate/rack along with the SW Motech crash bars.
At the press of a button, I can remove the tail box in a flash.
SHUMBA

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Are you putting the shower cap over the soft inner bag or stretching it over the outer pannier?
I really like the pelican case top box! Where did you get it and how did you mount it?
A good friend of mine has been going to the monday nigjt Stratford gathering all year. I will try to get there next summer.
Yup, the final bike night was last Monday night
SHUMBA

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu