• Wishing everyone a happy new year! May 2019 bring you tons of happiness and riding time.

Need Help on Shock Removal 2018 ATAS

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
As a full 35 clicks on the shock for my ATAS still gave me a 42% sag, I decided to ship the shock and forks to Cogent. The forks came out with no problem by following the service manual, but I have just spent over 2 hours trying to get the (#$*^& shock out. No problem removing to bolts and freeing the shock, but no matter what position I place the swingarm, I have been unable to get the shock to drop out as described/pictured in the shop/service manual. And to top it off I somehow hooked a small hose with the adjuster knob and pulled if free from what appears to be the underside of the fuel tank, so we all know what that means. No a great day! So, anyone that has take the shock off have any words of wisdom?

MacTavish

Nov 5, 2017
Ne Uk
Cant help with a specific answer or link but I recall seeing a post on this very subject somewhere in one of the AT threads in the beasts subforum of ADVRIDER, possibly the post concerning the ATAS specifically or one of the AT(AS) suspension threads.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Remove the rear wheel, rear brake hose retainers on the swing arm, lower suspension link bolts, swing arm through bolt and finally the swing arm, the shock will hit the floor on it's own. Should take you all of ten minutes.

Thanks, was so tired last night that I just posted here and Africatwinforum.com. Figured I would explore other sites and youtube today when I had time.

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
Graves: Thanks, will take that approach as the methodology in the service manual is getting me nothing but skinned knuckles and P.O.ed.

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
Little trouble with a couple of screws, but done. Thanks for the advice.

ProCycle

Oct 29, 2017
Oregon
I removed mine without pulling the swingarm. Remove the adjusting knob then the shock rotates about 90 degrees and will just snake its way out. Rear wheel has to be off and you have to move the swingarm up and down while snaking the shock out. It's like one of those Chinese puzzles. Once at the right angle it just pulls right out.

Rulle

Sep 10, 2016
Thailand
I removed mine without pulling the swingarm. Remove the adjusting knob then the shock rotates about 90 degrees and will just snake its way out. Rear wheel has to be off and you have to move the swingarm up and down while snaking the shock out. It's like one of those Chinese puzzles. Once at the right angle it just pulls right out.
Thats how I did too. But before i removed the adjusting knob I turned it all way in to the end, 35 clicks. After that the shock came out with lifting the svingarm.

Now I have the Ohlins shock, what a difference......

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
You gentlemen are clearly more coordinated than I. I went with dropping the bloody swingarm.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu