No love for the DCT

Echo15

Feb 26, 2019
Florida
I've had my '17 DCT for 2 weeks now (647 miles) and need some advice/reassurance. I am really not loving the DCT; I feel I have a lack of control (which I'll probably adjust to over time). But the real kicker is, I believe, the shift points; when slowing down for a red light, the shifter stays in a high gear (down to 17mph in 3d), but when the light turns green it doesn't downshift with acceleration. This leaves the engine lugging for a bit... not a fun feeling; I'm pitying my own bike! By the way, this is in the D setting; S is just fine.
It also 'clunks' when downshifting in an "agricultural" way... kinda like a Harley trannie.
So, somebody tell me is this just something I have to adjust to or perhaps "they all do it"? Or do I have issues?

Shanfara

Jan 13, 2019
Texas
Well I have the manual and it clunks, for sure.

The lugging is part of the bike wanting to remain in the highest gear possible for economy reasons. Like you said, S is not a problem and for the real fun, put it in manual mode. Super fast shifting with total control.

I wish I got the DCT sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
It would be interesting to have both for a year and see which one gets the most use.

Well I have the manual and it clunks, for sure.

The lugging is part of the bike wanting to remain in the highest gear possible for economy reasons. Like you said, S is not a problem and for the real fun, put it in manual mode. Super fast shifting with total control.

I wish I got the DCT sometimes.

Shanfara

Jan 13, 2019
Texas
Probably the DCT, although I've started always riding in 2nd Gear from a stop lately and it pretty much solves the lugging issue.

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
D is too laid-back; I never use it at all, for the reasons you give. S1 fits my style perfectly; it upshifts and downshifts when I would. I have no need for the other two modes, but other people do.

Echo15

Feb 26, 2019
Florida
All right, S it is.
I was taught that lugging the engine is BAD for it, so it seems counter-intuitive that a OEM program would do it.

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
Your definition of lugging is incorrect. Pulling down to low rpm, as long as the engine will take throttle and accelerate, is not lugging it. It's when it won't accelerate easily at very low rpm, no matter the throttle setting.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
In all fairness, this engine does feel like it's being lugged at a relatively normal RPM, but that's more a product of the 270 degree crank than what's being felt through the seat.

Your definition of lugging is incorrect. Pulling down to low rpm, as long as the engine will take throttle and accelerate, is not lugging it. It's when it won't accelerate easily at very low rpm, no matter the throttle setting.

Echo15

Feb 26, 2019
Florida
I stand corrected. It felt like lugging to me. Anyway, that's why I posted; to learn if I was crazy or not. My future holds S rather than D.

Ridenfun

Apr 17, 2016
Calgary, AB, Canada
I ride fairly conservatively compared to many, but also find D mode too laid back, so I now use S1 and very ocasionally S2. That said I LOVE the DCT, and when \I don't want to be lazy, I sometimes use full manual mode. Shifts at least as fast as I can!

Dennis

Dec 27, 2017
Kentucky
I've had my '17 DCT for 2 weeks now (647 miles) and need some advice/reassurance. I am really not loving the DCT; I feel I have a lack of control (which I'll probably adjust to over time). But the real kicker is, I believe, the shift points; when slowing down for a red light, the shifter stays in a high gear (down to 17mph in 3d), but when the light turns green it doesn't downshift with acceleration. This leaves the engine lugging for a bit... not a fun feeling; I'm pitying my own bike! By the way, this is in the D setting; S is just fine.
It also 'clunks' when downshifting in an "agricultural" way... kinda like a Harley trannie.
So, somebody tell me is this just something I have to adjust to or perhaps "they all do it"? Or do I have issues?
When coming to a stop sign on rolling down a steep hill, I use the manual paddle switches to help in the engine compression and slowing. Easy to do. Have done 8,000 on the DCT and it is great. Always rode BMWs before, so this is a big and positive change for me.

Reactions: GrrrlX

LeRoi

Apr 19, 2019
Denver,Co.
I use it all the time, are you just unable to adapt to tech? Please tell us you aren't still using a "flip" phone.

Reactions: Shadowjack

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
What's wrong with a flip phone? It works when I need it... about two times a year.

I use it all the time, are you just unable to adapt to tech? Please tell us you aren't still using a "flip" phone.

• Haha
Reactions: GrrrlX

LeRoi

Apr 19, 2019
Denver,Co.
True, dull it is, but that is what my commute usually is. And I prefer a 'dull' commute, to the one where I dodge the idiot who switches lanes because he's impatient right as I'm alongside his stupid ass.
Now for fire roads and gravel 4WD, I've found the 'S' mode and the lower 'torque' setting to be very responsive, and nicely tuned to lower speed and highly maneuverable situations. I found the 'G' mode helps here.
I believe not enough understand and use the DCT to it's potential, and they simply can't let go of old habits of shifting and clutching.
Tech is NOT for all, but when you learn it, and use it to it's potential, it CAN be liberating.
I believe the DCT IS that Tech, but if ya don't learn it and use it, you will NEVER know.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu