• Wishing everyone a happy new year! May 2019 bring you tons of happiness and riding time.

No love for the DCT

Echo15

Feb 26, 2019
Florida
I've had my '17 DCT for 2 weeks now (647 miles) and need some advice/reassurance. I am really not loving the DCT; I feel I have a lack of control (which I'll probably adjust to over time). But the real kicker is, I believe, the shift points; when slowing down for a red light, the shifter stays in a high gear (down to 17mph in 3d), but when the light turns green it doesn't downshift with acceleration. This leaves the engine lugging for a bit... not a fun feeling; I'm pitying my own bike! By the way, this is in the D setting; S is just fine.
It also 'clunks' when downshifting in an "agricultural" way... kinda like a Harley trannie.
So, somebody tell me is this just something I have to adjust to or perhaps "they all do it"? Or do I have issues?

Shanfara

Jan 13, 2019
Texas
Well I have the manual and it clunks, for sure.

The lugging is part of the bike wanting to remain in the highest gear possible for economy reasons. Like you said, S is not a problem and for the real fun, put it in manual mode. Super fast shifting with total control.

I wish I got the DCT sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
It would be interesting to have both for a year and see which one gets the most use.

Well I have the manual and it clunks, for sure.

The lugging is part of the bike wanting to remain in the highest gear possible for economy reasons. Like you said, S is not a problem and for the real fun, put it in manual mode. Super fast shifting with total control.

I wish I got the DCT sometimes.

Shanfara

Jan 13, 2019
Texas
Probably the DCT, although I've started always riding in 2nd Gear from a stop lately and it pretty much solves the lugging issue.

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
D is too laid-back; I never use it at all, for the reasons you give. S1 fits my style perfectly; it upshifts and downshifts when I would. I have no need for the other two modes, but other people do.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu