Oxford Heated Grips - wiring into existing OEM power on an '18. Anyone do this?

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Kalamity Flats, OR
aridterra.com
Howdy Twinnies!

I'm prepping to install my shiny new Oxford grips on my shiny new '18 Twin and was wanting to see if:

A) it was possible to utilize the wiring installed for the OEM grips
and
B) Some advice on how to do so. I'm not super wiring savvy, although I did OK on my KLR. This is a much more refined beast and I don't want to monkey it up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MarksMCParts

Supporting Vender
Its certainly possible, but they may not work exactly as expected - there are likely to be differences in the impedance of the Honda and Oxford grips , or the way the circuit regulates the temperature. Best to wire them in from scratch, using the oxford controller.
Make sure you put a fuse in the supply, fitted as close to the battery as possible to protect the grips and the battery in the event of a fault.

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Kalamity Flats, OR
aridterra.com
Its certainly possible, but they may not work exactly as expected - there are likely to be differences in the impedance of the Honda and Oxford grips , or the way the circuit regulates the temperature. Best to wire them in from scratch, using the oxford controller.
Make sure you put a fuse in the supply, fitted as close to the battery as possible to protect the grips and the battery in the event of a fault.
Thanks for that. I ended up getting an Eastern Beaver 3 CS and wired them into it.
Wasn’t sure how “plug and play” the wiring would be for non Honda accessories. My other bikes have all been older low tech rigs, this thing is more complex but I’m getting it figured out. With a lot of help from folks here 😁🤙🏼

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Kalamity Flats, OR
aridterra.com
Indeed. Slowly getting it sorted out. It's kinda fun to work on.

Davy F

Jul 28, 2015
Northern Ireland
I’d like to rip out all the wiring and replace the oe Honda grips (they still work but are still pathetic) but after looking at how intricate and complex the wiring is, I’m leaving them until they give up the ghost, which will hopefully be not much longer.

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Kalamity Flats, OR
aridterra.com
I’d like to rip out all the wiring and replace the oe Honda grips (they still work but are still pathetic) but after looking at how intricate and complex the wiring is, I’m leaving them until they give up the ghost, which will hopefully be not much longer.
I have to say, not being very savvy with wiring it was pretty easy to get the Oxfords installed. The biggest hassle was finding a home for all the excess wire. Ran it to the battery for now, but have an Eastern Beaver 3CS coming for this and the battery pigtail.
They are so damn warm it puts a smile on my face 😁😁

Davy F

Jul 28, 2015
Northern Ireland
Well I’ve ordered a pair of the Koso Apollo grips (actually, Tecnoglobe grips but they are exactly the same, just different branding), so I’ll be ripping out all the oe Honda stuff soon and will hopefully relish the expected heat from grips that actually work properly.

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Kalamity Flats, OR
aridterra.com
I’ll have to say the Oxfords are super deluxe at making hands toasty warm

Davy F

Jul 28, 2015
Northern Ireland
The Oxfords are possibly the hottest aftermarket grips available, but I hate their controller box....it just looks so last century.

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Kalamity Flats, OR
aridterra.com
There is that, I’m waiting for mine to snap off but I’ll be digging having warm hands until then

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Kalamity Flats, OR
aridterra.com
Have a ball with that! Soooo many parts!

Davy F

Jul 28, 2015
Northern Ireland
Fitted....and a tad disappointing TBH. The upside is that they are hotter than the Honda grips but from experience, they’re nowhere as hot as Oxfords. Still, it’s bloody cold here so maybe they’ll be fine when spring is sprung ! They look good tho’ and removing the oe wiring wasn’t so bad...I didn’t realise the bike came pre-wired for the oe grips to be installed.

Reactions: Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn

Gold Rider
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org
Fitted....and a tad disappointing TBH. The upside is that they are hotter than the Honda grips but from experience, they’re nowhere as hot as Oxfords. Still, it’s bloody cold here so maybe they’ll be fine when spring is sprung ! They look good tho’ and removing the oe wiring wasn’t so bad...I didn’t realise the bike came pre-wired for the oe grips to be installed.
That's a shame that they aren't as hot. I really like the look of those. Though in the winter I ride with a combo of heated grips and heated gloves, so even the OEM's have been more than fine for me.

If I decide to switch out the OEM's, I may still try the Appollo

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Kalamity Flats, OR
aridterra.com
Well I have to report that on the second time of using them, they got hotter than the initial test. Maybe they just take longer to get up to heat tho’ they’re still not burn your hands hot.
I'll just be over here with my Oxfords cooling my hands off in the breeze every now and again 😜

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu