• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

Paint on the pillion bars...

Aug 16, 2018
UK
I took the mrs out for a short ride and the black paint on the pillion rail has started to wear through to yellowish primer underneath.

Seriously out for just half an hour with leather gloves on. I'm pretty sure I didn't make her grip that tight 😂 .... she's done countles hours on the back of the Hayabusa.

If it can't take a 30 minute hold it's not going to cope with luggage straps etc.

I'm thinking there's no point taking it back to the dealer for another one if it's a known issue - might as well just repaint it with something tough.

Disappointing though. Anyone else seeing it?

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
The ASAT bar or the regular bar?

I took the mrs out for a short ride and the black paint on the pillion rail has started to wear through to yellowish primer underneath.

Seriously out for just half an hour with leather gloves on. I'm pretty sure I didn't make her grip that tight 😂 .... she's done countles hours on the back of the Hayabusa.

If it can't take a 30 minute hold it's not going to cope with luggage straps etc.

I'm thinking there's no point taking it back to the dealer for another one if it's a known issue - might as well just repaint it with something tough.

Disappointing though. Anyone else seeing it?

Aug 16, 2018
UK
2018 standard bike. I'm not even sure what it's made from. Either very thin metal or plastic 😂

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
You're talking about the passenger grab rail on the sides of the rear seat?

I have one of the first AT's and that part is made of cast aluminum, and seems to be power coated. I've scratched it all up with cargo, but not through the coating. It's kind of a heavy piece, maybe the're doing something different with the new bikes.

2018 standard bike. I'm not even sure what it's made from. Either very thin metal or plastic 😂

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Yeah grab rail but on the side. I'd go with aluminium but it certainly doesn't look or feel powder coated (to my untrained eye at least).

I'll investigate and update if I get an answer.

Aug 16, 2018
UK
No definately a thinning. I'll take a pic later... if it is paint transfer its gonna be funny! 😂

Aug 16, 2018
UK
It's not paint transfer.

Paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

It should be tougher than this right?

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Looks like something scraped it, not rubbed through, jagged edge not feathered. Put some touch up paint on it and let it go. I know that it's hard hard seeing your brand new shinny toy get it's first scratch, I hate it, but they inevitability get there. I've known guys that would throw their brand new $10K dirt bike on the ground before they even ride it just to get it over with, kind of like jumping into the water rather than easing into it, and I must admit that I have taken brand new helmets out of the box and purposely smack them on the ground for that same reason. This is part of the reason I have such a hard time deciding to buy a new truck. My current truck is fully broken in with full Arizona pin striping (Creosote bush drag marks) down the full length of both sides, I know that the new truck will get there but the thought of doing that to a $50K truck is unpleasant.

It's not paint transfer.

View attachment 1631

View attachment 1632

It should be tougher than this right?

Aug 16, 2018
UK
It looks a lot smoother and feathered in the real - definately just really thin paint.

I wasn't going to bother taking it back - no point if that's how they come. I'll just repaint it with some tougher black paint so it doesn't rub to nothing once the luggage is strapped on.... although you have a point - maybe I'll just let it rough up for character. You're right I've gotta get used to the idea of losing the shiny sooner or later. :rolleyes:

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
You ought to see my bike, big gouges in the fork bottoms, skid plate all smashed up and hammered flat again, exhaust shields and head pipe dented and scratched, shock linkage with big gouges, bent rims, marked up hand guards and mirrors, rear wheel hub all pot marked from rocks... this is all from just riding the thing.

It looks a lot smoother and feathered in the real - definately just really thin paint.

I wasn't going to bother taking it back - no point if that's how they come. I'll just repaint it with some tougher black paint so it doesn't rub to nothing once the luggage is strapped on.... although you have a point - maybe I'll just let it rough up for character. You're right I've gotta get used to the idea of losing the shiny sooner or later. :rolleyes:

Aug 16, 2018
UK
Once I've recovered from the financial shock of buying the thing I'll be right with ya. ;)

Never really cared what happens to the 4x4 - it's built for it and should look used - but that's 15 years old and I didn't buy it anywhere near new.

For now, I'm going to wince at every fast moving fly that brushes past it. I can see why throwing it around to desensatise yourself is a good idea... just not ready yet 😂

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
I know. Every time I drop the thing I'm horrified that when I pick it up the gas tank is going to be jacked, been lucky so far.

Once I've recovered from the financial shock of buying the thing I'll be right with ya. ;)

Never really cared what happens to the 4x4 - it's built for it and should look used - but that's 15 years old and I didn't buy it anywhere near new.

For now, I'm going to wince at every fast moving fly that brushes past it. I can see why throwing it around to desensatise yourself is a good idea... just not ready yet 😂

Nov 3, 2018
Oregon
That is the reason that I got such a deal on my ATAS. The guy was a Boeing executive that purchased this to be his "Forever Bike" last May, and couldn't bear the thought of taking it off the pavement as it would "break his heart" to drop it. Really nice guy, but not objective about the bike. If you are going to ride them the way they were designed to be ridden, you are going to drop it sooner or later. I figure if I can pick up my Goldwing it can git this off of the ground. Just a matter of time.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu