• Welcome to africatwin.org v2.0! We're happy to have you here. We've updated the site with new code to help the overall forum experience. Please report any issues. Changes made to the forum can be seen here: Africatwin.org v2.0 updates. Thank you for being a part of africatwin.org!

Poll: Whats your opinion on loud exhaust pipes?

Whats your opinion on loud exhaust pipes?

• I love it!

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Don't mind it.

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

Davy F

Jul 28, 2015
Northern Ireland
It all depends on the type of noise. A Ducati with a booming pair of Termignonis is pure heaven. A performance two stroke fitted with expansion chambers that resonate off the walls of buildings....spine tingling ecstacy. My Africa Twin with full titanium Arrow system....a tad loud louder than I'd like, but that's the price of better looks over the oe can.

MrSHOCKER

Jul 20, 2017
Baltimore
Hate it. Been a rider for 43 years, loud mufflers are obnoxious. They make the public dislike motorcyclists. Hell, I've had Harley riders tearing down my street at full throttle with wide open exhaust at 3 am. I won't say what I wanted to do to them but lets say it didn't involve a hug. Yes, I've owned bikes with loud exhausts and they even annoyed me.

To each his own.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
For off road I tend to like stealthy. On road, loud seems to aleart cagers to your presence. If it's loud, it better be doing something, unlike a Harley, all that noise and nothing is happening.

Milbs

Aug 8, 2017
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
Stealth for me. I want to be able to sneak around where I am not supposed to be when I am off road. And on road who wants to "Alert" your local policeman who is sitting around the corner to look up and see who is getting on it? You might as well knock on his car window and ask for a ticket.

Jul 17, 2017
San Diego
Don't mind it but also don't love it too if that makes sense. Obnoxious noise producing motorcycles do nothing. Pretty sounding obnoxious motorcycles that have purpose makes me fall in love. Haha.

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Right? A Duc, the Yamaha triples, a crossplane crank R1 with the right muffler, anything 2 stroke... stirs the sole.

Don't mind it but also don't love it too if that makes sense. Obnoxious noise producing motorcycles do nothing. Pretty sounding obnoxious motorcycles that have purpose makes me fall in love. Haha.

BootsTwin

Feb 27, 2017
VIC
I'd like something with a bit deeper note. I don't want ridiculously loud, just a bit throaty. It's annoying to me that cam chain whirs louder than the exhaust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Once upon a time I lined up behind Dusty Rabbit at a sound check at a National Hare and Hound event, his bike was whisper quiet at the test RPM, once he cracked the throttle, holy moley that thing was loud. Guess loud is good when hauling across the desert at 100 MPH.

Cuchulainn

africatwin.org gold
Aug 10, 2017
Denver, CO
www.rmmrc.org

Graves

Staff member
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.

Dusty Rabbit?

An interesting voice in the “loud pipes” debate...

In a message entitled "Something We Never Want to Lose" on his company's website, Harley-Davidson Motor Company President and CEO Jim McCaslin tackles the issue of motorcycle noise and the increasing backlash motorcycling is experiencing as the result of loud pipes.

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/loud-pipes-cost-harley-davidson-tries-to-quiet-motorcycle-noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mitch

africatwin.org gold
Sep 20, 2017
Iowa
Dusty Rabbit?

An interesting voice in the “loud pipes” debate...

In a message entitled "Something We Never Want to Lose" on his company's website, Harley-Davidson Motor Company President and CEO Jim McCaslin tackles the issue of motorcycle noise and the increasing backlash motorcycling is experiencing as the result of loud pipes.

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/loud-pipes-cost-harley-davidson-tries-to-quiet-motorcycle-noise
I am happy to hear HD is corporately encouraging their customers to "Pipe Down". As I noted in the poll, I really do hate loud pipes, and I must confess that I actually have a set. I bought a new 2016 Triumph Scrambler last Fall and spent the winter in the garage giving it a full custom makeover. I love the result and especially the Zard full exhaust. It sounds fantastic!

As good as it sounds, it is unfortunately a wee bit too loud. I make a concerted effort to stay off the throttle as I idle out of our development. But even when I am out on the back roads with my ear plugs and helmet, after a while that baritone pulse starts to get old.

I love the fact that the Africa Twin is nice and quiet, but with a good tone. I have no plans to upgrade the exhaust.

Skimmer

Aug 7, 2018
Northants, United Kingdom
I live on a biking road and some exhausts make you wince. You can hear them a minute or so before they arrive and often longer as they leave the village and start going through the box on full chat.
Everybody has their own level at which they find some exhaust sounds offensive rather than just pleasantly louder.
For me there isn't a category in the poll that I could really commit to.

Chilly

Oct 12, 2018
Upperco, Md
Do you love it? Don't mind it? Hate it? Share your thoughts and feelings.
Pretty much everywhere I go people wave to me i think because the Africa Twin is an excellent blend of great looks and understated noise. Keeping noise levels down shows some respect to one`s surroundings. I grew up on 4 stroke dirt bikes and generally we tried to move around the countryside quietly and this is why land owners let us have right of ways and did not bother us. I call my bike "The Unicorn" because of the looks I get when riding. Such a beautiful bike

inexorable

Aug 16, 2018
UK
I think I needed a "depends" option here too.

One of the first bikes I rode after passing the big boys test was my friends little Honda VFR400 "Pocket Rocket".

That bike was fun - and had a seriously fun exhaust on it too. Proper loud. I was riding my Yamaha Thundercat 600 with a standard exhaust. Silent in comparison.

At that time I was a very firm believer in a loud exhaust saving lives. Still am to some extent. The number of idiots walking out in front of the Yamaha around town was a joke. Not one idiot walked out in front of the little VFR though. They were all too afraid 😂

My next bike was the Yamaha Thunderace 1000. Quiet again at low speed and a queue of idiots waiting to step out in front of me.

Then the Hayabusa I have now. It's not silly loud at all - just a good healthy tone from the scorpions is enough to keep the pedestrian fools on the kerb.

For the Africa Twin though I want it quiet. Maybe even quieter. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the exhaust tone on this bike - I just think a touring bike / adventure bike needs to be a bit more respectful. Both to the ears on a long trek and the quiet little valleys and corners of the world that it rolls in to.

Bit of a contradiction there - what with daft sheep etc.

So yeah - I think my vote is for "it depends".

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu