SOLVED Popping/Clicking sound near front of 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Rider
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just noticed a strange pop/click sound near the front of a 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports model.

The sound can be replicated when I’m in first gear and slowly release the throttle and give it some gas. The engine sounds normal but will also produce a strange pop/click sound. Driving me nuts and can’t figure it out.

No big mods have done asides from after market crash bars.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I’ll try to get a recording of it soon and will post.

jkmcgill

Feb 1, 2019
canada
something in the seat attachment points? mine does it too. if you shift your weight around sitting on it not running can you replicate it?

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Check all fasteners to see if any are loose. Like Jkmcgill says, the seat is a source for noise, mine moves around quite a bit.

Just noticed a strange pop/click sound near the front of a 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports model.

The sound can be replicated when I’m in first gear and slowly release the throttle and give it some gas. The engine sounds normal but will also produce a strange pop/click sound. Driving me nuts and can’t figure it out.

No big mods have done asides from after market crash bars.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I’ll try to get a recording of it soon and will post.

jkmcgill

Feb 1, 2019
canada
I cut a little piece of leather and inserted where shown, so that when the seat clicks into place there is a slight compression fit. This seems to have resolved the clicking.

IMG_2736.JPGIMG_2737.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: SoCalEddie

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Rider
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Update 7/25/19

@jkmcgill @Graves It was the seat! Was playing around with the seat height and found that when the seat is in the highest position, the seat would “pop” against the metal on the bike. @jkmcgill Going to take your advice and put some padding on that location under the seat. Thanks for the help on this one.

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu