• Hi everyone, hope all of you are safe and healthy. We've updated the image upload size to 5MB from 2MB so everyone can upload some pretty pictures during their quarantine. We will also be updating our software and servers as the weeks go by so please let us know if you have any issues. Wishing all riders good health during these times.

Purchasing advice

danix

May 11, 2020
San Francisco
Looking at maybe buying a 2017 (non DCT) with about 25k miles for $7500.
Anything in particular to look out for with this year?
Decent price?
Thanks!

CaptDan26

Feb 23, 2020
Mattoon, IL.
Lots of upgrades done on the 2018 and 2019 models. Lots of 2017's out there with less miles and about the same price. A 2017 with 25000 miles seems like a lot, considering there are a lot to choose from in that year. I understand you are asking about the 2017, but for a few thousand more and possibly 0 miles and a warranty available you could get into an 18 or 19. I purchase a new 19 about 4 months ago and glad I did. I looked at the cheaper 2017, which everyone had for sale and decided the upgrades were worth the extra cost. I got the 2019 standard DCT from a dealer for $10,200 with full warranty. I am sure there are 18's out there for even less. Everything pretty much the same on 18/19. In 2020 another round of big changes, but expect to pay about 5-6 thousand extra for those changes. Good luck with your choice..

Reactions: LouisPK

danix

May 11, 2020
San Francisco
Thanks for the reply. This seems like a good deal on paper but I know there are new 2017s out there for not much more - the highish miles are also rental miles, but the bike was well looked after. Comes with luggage too and the price is probably flexible.

What in particular is better about the 2018? I don't think I'm interested in the DCT but I've never tested it.

CaptDan26

Feb 23, 2020
Mattoon, IL.
Thanks for the reply. This seems like a good deal on paper but I know there are new 2017s out there for not much more - the highish miles are also rental miles, but the bike was well looked after. Comes with luggage too and the price is probably flexible.

What in particular is better about the 2018? I don't think I'm interested in the DCT but I've never tested it.
  • New instrument panel (this is better but not as good as the 2020 screen)
  • Throttle by wire (This is the major improvement, no cables...and you can add electronic cruise to it)
  • Three riding modes (Tour, Urban, Gravel) (This is a good one, and they can be adjusted on the fly)
  • Minor intake and exhaust changes
  • Lighter balancer shafts
  • Lithium-ion battery (This is much lighter than the 2017 battery, but it cost more to replace)
  • Seven levels of HSTC (traction control) ( I really like this feature on gravel and dirt, makes you feel like a pro sliding around curves, also can change on the fly)
  • Wider footpegs with steel brackets
  • Redesigned passenger pegs
  • Redesigned LED turn signals
I was unsure about the DCT, but after spending time with it, I hav found the advantages to FAR outweigh the few disadvantages. I would not hesitate getting it again..
"Rental bike" would not be my first choice, but I dont want to bash the 2017, I just want to make you aware of the benefits of just one year newer..

daytonatwin

Oct 26, 2019
central fl
newer complicated bling with more complicated problems if they even last to 25k miles. read the many complaints from those that wish they would have K.I.S.S> kept it simple. DCT! If you need an Auto M/C this tall one is not for you!

Last edited:

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Kalamity Flats, OR
aridterra.com
  • New instrument panel (this is better but not as good as the 2020 screen)
  • Throttle by wire (This is the major improvement, no cables...and you can add electronic cruise to it)
  • Three riding modes (Tour, Urban, Gravel) (This is a good one, and they can be adjusted on the fly)
  • Minor intake and exhaust changes
  • Lighter balancer shafts
  • Lithium-ion battery (This is much lighter than the 2017 battery, but it cost more to replace)
  • Seven levels of HSTC (traction control) ( I really like this feature on gravel and dirt, makes you feel like a pro sliding around curves, also can change on the fly)
  • Wider footpegs with steel brackets
  • Redesigned passenger pegs
  • Redesigned LED turn signals
I was unsure about the DCT, but after spending time with it, I hav found the advantages to FAR outweigh the few disadvantages. I would not hesitate getting it again..
"Rental bike" would not be my first choice, but I dont want to bash the 2017, I just want to make you aware of the benefits of just one year newer..
I'll back up @CaptDan26, got my '18 DCT brand new for 9600 and the reason I held out for the 18-19 over a 17 was the upgrade that was done. The DCT is amazing, takes some time to get it figured out to best suit your needs, but is worth the time weight and cost in my book.

Reactions: CaptDan26

Bolzen

Sep 5, 2017
Earth
Another important upgrade is fork tube inner coating -- due to excessive friction force earlier outer tubes tend to wear faster. Also later spokes are stainless, which could be a factor in salty environment.

LouisPK

Aug 14, 2019
Kalamity Flats, OR
aridterra.com
Another important upgrade is fork tube inner coating -- due to excessive friction force earlier outer tubes tend to wear faster. Also later spokes are stainless, which could be a factor in salty environment.
Thanks for catching those improvements, too! Well worth the few extra $

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu