Quick Oil Change Question

HerrDeacon

Sep 12, 2018
Canada
Hopefully going to be doing the 1000 km service tomorrow and just wondering if its better to drain oil when on center or side stand? Probably weird question but I'm asking it because on my CB500X draining the oil while on the center stand can be quite messy just due to the way the oil shoots out, no effective way to get the drain pan where it needs to be because the center stand is in the way. Whereas its fine on the side stand. Any such issue with the Africa Twin?

SoCalEddie

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Rider
Jul 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully going to be doing the 1000 km service tomorrow and just wondering if its better to drain oil when on center or side stand? Probably weird question but I'm asking it because on my CB500X draining the oil while on the center stand can be quite messy just due to the way the oil shoots out, no effective way to get the drain pan where it needs to be because the center stand is in the way. Whereas its fine on the side stand. Any such issue with the Africa Twin?
@HerrDeacon It’s usually a better idea to drain the oil on Africa Twin on a center stand. Luckily enough I have a drain pan that was big enough to catch oil from the two drain plugs and oil filter.

Here is a photo from my recent oil change.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
Don’t forget, there’s two drain plugs.

Shadowjack

Mar 15, 2018
Great Plains
Since most ATs don't have a center stand, the question is moot. If you want to hold it vertical to let it drain more, you can, but not much will come out. Also, there've been a lot of comments on some forums about whether the level of oil on the dipstick when it's on the sidestand is correct. Again, since it doesn't have any way to keep it vertical to measure, it's good when the level is above the low mark. Just sayin'.

Reactions: SHUMBA

DELLA

Sep 7, 2018
Hochstadt
Deacon,

I'd hope that you can or / did get the 1000km service and stamp at the dealer, I doubt you will ever get a warranty repair if you don't.

At the dealer I visited, they put the rear wheel / on an axel stand, it tipped the bike forward slightly and the they dropped the bash plate
as in Eddie's photo above.

HerrDeacon

Sep 12, 2018
Canada
No requirement for that here in Canada. As long as you keep your receipts and use the correct spec oil all is good with regard to the warranty, at least that is what I was told. I made sure to buy the filter and oil from the dealer.

Graves

Staff member
Legendary Rider
Aug 14, 2016
So. Cal.
In Canada Google "Consumer Protection Act".
In the US Google "Magnuson-Moss Act."

SHUMBA

Oct 5, 2017
ONTARIO, CANADA
Since most ATs don't have a center stand, the question is moot. If you want to hold it vertical to let it drain more, you can, but not much will come out. Also, there've been a lot of comments on some forums about whether the level of oil on the dipstick when it's on the sidestand is correct. Again, since it doesn't have any way to keep it vertical to measure, it's good when the level is above the low mark. Just sayin'.
Checking your oil level
Bike level, Check oil level...this provides an accurate reading.
Do not check your oil level when on the side stand. Centre stand, if you have one is okay. Just ask any reputable mechanic..
SHUMBA

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

About us

• Africatwin.org was established in 2015 to provide adventure motorcyclists an online community focusing on the Honda Africa Twin. The forum has grown exponentially through the years with excellent and insightful content. As a result of our growth, africatwin.org has expanded its media network to provide editorial content to the adventure riding community. Africatwin.org is not affiliated with Honda Motor Co. and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author and do not represent Honda Motor Co. or africatwin.org.

Quick Navigation

User Menu